Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
Character of the Week #349
The Blade Dancer
Deadline - Sunday, April 6th 10PM GMT
The world of entertainment is a vast one. Everything from dare devils to magicians, there is an almost endless stream of entertainers. But for the most part, these are all simple or just a trick or illusion. There is one entertainer who uses the art of a beautiful, seductive dance mixed with the use of deadly blades. This dance of the blades has a symbolic of beauty and danger. The blades range from all kinds of different sizes and styles. Swords, daggers, axes, you name it. But each blade represents a theme of the dance.
- Can be male or female
- Must be human or a typical fantasy race (Elf, dwarf, gnome, etc. Look up playable races in D&D as a guide to this)
- Don't go crazy with too many different blades Stick to 2 or 3 at the most. There is an underlying theme to the use of each one as described.
- Full nudity is not a character design and will not be accepted into the poll.
- Background is optional this week
- Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline
- Final post must include the CHoW # and the artists username at the bottom of the image within, at least, a footer bar(TYPED, NOT WRITTEN)
- At least 3/4 of the character must be visible. No back views are allowed without a front please.
- Sketches or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll
- No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work
- At least two wips posted with your final in the finals thread
- NO ENVIRONMENT BACKGROUNDS! You may use simple shapes,gradients or silhouettes
- Please read through the thread for any posts made by the mod. They likely answered a question that was asked about the challenge!
- Have fun!
Hello everyone! this is my entry:
Sabralor, The Nightmane. Prince of Nirigale, Instinct' son. He dances to the last sun, while the falcon flys his last flight.
<<I'm a betrayer, and I deserve death. But just a privilage is what I ask for: to die not for nothing, but lose my life for protect my people>>.
Last edited by BlindLynx; April 5th, 2014 at 05:32 AM.
This blade dancer is a Planetouched air genasi, capable of floating and flying, but never letting on. In the Blade Dancer's act, each blade has a meaning. In this act there are two characters present interacting with the dancer: The World, a blade which she can never truly control or manipulate on which she carefully yet playfully balances, and Man, straight and deadly, yet she carries on her opposite toe.
Great work everybody, the finals look awesome.
WIPs & stuff:
Happy to join, well done everyone and see you next time
Concept is a wood elf who decides to move to the "big city". Life's hard, money's kind of necessary, and she translates the graceful fighting style of her home into... pole dancing. She's pretty secure now but the dancing's fun and it's good money that suits her semi-nomadic lifestyle.
Yah this was a lot of fun. Really inspired by Uma Thurman in Kill Bill of course. I did some other poses but I think in the Final is the best one. I want to animate this one. Well it's been fun guys. Thanks!
Traditional performance of the Dance of King Julius, who repelled a rebel incursion upon his kingdom.
The shuriken is the air, the voice of the king, of reason and diplomacy, the halberd stands proud and strong, and is always followed by the flag of blood, which flowed from his enemies during the ensuing war, and most importantly of all the underhanded blade, which assured victory for the king even when all was thought lost.
Here is my entry:
It was a really fun challenge, I got to do more of those.
Here's my wips and final,
Ritualistic blade dancer for a nomadic animistic warrior tribe. She evokes the great eagle through her perilous routines in order to imbue her clansmen with courage, and carry the spirits of the war-fallen to the next life.
Last edited by The Colorado Kid; April 6th, 2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: increase detail image size
Blade Dancer First time taking part in this competition, happy that I managed to finish in time..
Last edited by ayla; April 6th, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Here is my entry. Thanks for the great theme, I really enjoyed it!!
concept artist and illustrator
Blade dancer doing some kind of ritual
Last edited by tchan247; April 6th, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
I'm using photoshop and I press save to web, and shrink down the image from 3300x3000px to 1000x909px and it's still HUGE when I attach it here and press preview. I'm not sure what to do. I also tried using imgur to shrink down the photo and when I preview it here it's still just as huge. Can I upload my image anyway?
Note: I fixed the problem.
So I opted to use the one without the chain whip as my final, because I don't think I did a good enough job on the chain whip and the placement of the hand that's holding it to use it. But I uploaded it as a wip anyways.
Last edited by BloodyTiara; April 6th, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
Thank you Moirae! I got it to work! They no longer look huge (at least not on my screen!)