jsc - composition 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: jsc - composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

jsc - composition 1.1

so... i went traditional with this one. might go digital in the future. very difficult to get values to what they were before scanning.

here we go. let me have it

Name:  First-Excersise.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  248.3 KB

i would say the primary object of the painting is the black "monolith" type plant. however while trying to redo the painting. i found the highest area of contrast was around the church and also that almost all of the lines led the to the black monolith through the church.

spent around 2 hours on this - a bit too long for the assignment i think...

happy to hear your tips before starting the next one! thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you did a beautiful job. you will want to adjust your values/colors in photoshop to match the original better if you can...all in all this is a great study and that is actually a much more difficult piece to do than people realize. great job.

keep it up.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

jsc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  judith-jsc.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  127.5 KB

there is the next one. spent too much time on details i think and sorta messed up her face to my great disappointment...

what i learned - highest area of contrast around the face (her hair is super dark). interestingly the highest area is probably the twinkle in her eye. just a tiny dot that brings attention to her expression. a lot of the textural marks really give the piece rhythm. and finally the head she's holding has low contrast which is interesting so its not the first thing you notice - giving it a wow effect when you realize she's holding a head.

thanks in advance for your feedback and advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is the next one. i chose it because of the economy of style. most of it is just black and yet you can tell a lot from the minor bits shown.

still going over time (around 2 hours on this one) use a grid on this one as suggested in many of the other posts. i get the feeling i could go a bit lighter on the hood.

Name:  st-francis-jsc.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  43.4 KB

what i learned - composition-wise i think the nose is actually the brightest spot. also there is the big white arrow point to his face. the folds also form a bit of an arrow continuing to his face establishing rhythm and texture. quite enjoyed this one!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was really unhappy with this one (also cause i really like klimmt) so i went back and spent another hour to fix it up.

hope it was worth it. i think so. learn from my mistakes and all that...

Name:  judith-jsc-1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  465.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are making good progress. the klimt needs stronger contrast, like the dark in the lower right hand side on the mans hair. make sure that your values all match. the values on the chest/torso are also a little bit simpler in the original. for a study though you are doing a beautiful job.

the zurburan really needs care on the face. there are a number of value and shape differences in small areas which are keeping yours from matching more precisely, but for this type of study you are on target. Just keep pushing for more accuracy.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

jsc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the pointers!

i can't unsee the mistakes once seen. i'll probably go in and revise the zuburan to get that closer. looking at them side by side like that i think my values on the hood are too dark as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that cant unsee trait is a good thing...as richard schmid says about the great painters...they never knowingly leave something wrong with any of their works. it takes fresh eyes.

that is a reason i don't have tattoos...even though i want them...i would see a mistake two years later and be stuck with it. fortunately you aren't stuck with those fixes

good luck and keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can't see it anymore... doesn't mean its not there... but i've been looking at it for too long.

lightened the hood and reshaped nose, mouth and chin. also some adjustments in hood shape and overall size of shoulders.

here's my revised zuburan. still a lot of room for improvement but time to move on!

Name:  st-francis-jsc-v2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  43.2 KB

the economy is amazing - really most of the painting is in shadow and yet the expression still reads. Also the nose is at the center of a whirlpool so the eyes is led there and trapped there:

Name:  stfrancis1-notes.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  44.8 KB

Last edited by jsc; April 30th, 2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added info on what i changed from previous iteration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work. the light is hitting the nose overall a bit more but other than that you are pretty much on point. great job. nice analysis as well.

jm

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.