so... i went traditional with this one. might go digital in the future. very difficult to get values to what they were before scanning.
here we go. let me have it
i would say the primary object of the painting is the black "monolith" type plant. however while trying to redo the painting. i found the highest area of contrast was around the church and also that almost all of the lines led the to the black monolith through the church.
spent around 2 hours on this - a bit too long for the assignment i think...
happy to hear your tips before starting the next one! thanks!
you did a beautiful job. you will want to adjust your values/colors in photoshop to match the original better if you can...all in all this is a great study and that is actually a much more difficult piece to do than people realize. great job.
there is the next one. spent too much time on details i think and sorta messed up her face to my great disappointment...
what i learned - highest area of contrast around the face (her hair is super dark). interestingly the highest area is probably the twinkle in her eye. just a tiny dot that brings attention to her expression. a lot of the textural marks really give the piece rhythm. and finally the head she's holding has low contrast which is interesting so its not the first thing you notice - giving it a wow effect when you realize she's holding a head.
here is the next one. i chose it because of the economy of style. most of it is just black and yet you can tell a lot from the minor bits shown.
still going over time (around 2 hours on this one) use a grid on this one as suggested in many of the other posts. i get the feeling i could go a bit lighter on the hood.
what i learned - composition-wise i think the nose is actually the brightest spot. also there is the big white arrow point to his face. the folds also form a bit of an arrow continuing to his face establishing rhythm and texture. quite enjoyed this one!
you are making good progress. the klimt needs stronger contrast, like the dark in the lower right hand side on the mans hair. make sure that your values all match. the values on the chest/torso are also a little bit simpler in the original. for a study though you are doing a beautiful job.
the zurburan really needs care on the face. there are a number of value and shape differences in small areas which are keeping yours from matching more precisely, but for this type of study you are on target. Just keep pushing for more accuracy.