GabrieleGabba - Composition 1.1

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: GabrieleGabba - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GabrieleGabba - Composition 1.1

Hello everyone! I'm happy to have found an affordable and structured course like this one. I hope to finish these two introduction courses and then move forward in a butt-kicking manner.

1. Anne-Louis Girodet - The Burial of Atala
    Name:  01_Anne-Louis Girodet - TheBurialOfAtala.png
Views: 146
Size:  128.6 KB

I learned that the there are two strong focuses in this piece, the woman who is bathed in light and the cross in the background which is a symbol of both religion and her death. A few secondary area are light to tell the story: The weeping man and the spade. The monk is dimly lit, and seems quite ominous. There is a lot of subtle detail in this piece and it would take me longer to get them out I think.

2. Élisabeth-Louise Vigée-Le Brun - CharlesAlexandre_de_Calonne
    Name:  02_Élisabeth-Louise Vigée-Le Brun - CharlesAlexandre_de_Calonne.png
Views: 118
Size:  244.6 KB

There are some very strong details in this piece, but the most lit areas tend to be the ones of focus: His face and his papers. Telling us he was an important man of business. His head is wonderfully framed and carefully surrounded by a tone of gradient to make it pop from the background. His suit is really simplified and hardly lit or detailed at all, this would have detracted from the important features in the piece.

3. Eugene de Blaas - Contemplation
    Name:  03_Eugene de Blaas - Contemplation.png
Views: 129
Size:  169.9 KB

Is a very delicate piece. The focus of the painting is all in the contrasts of her bossom and face. The other areas are some details in her hand and dress. Even though it looks very detailed there is only enough detail to draw your eye up and towards her face. The simple background helps focus on the figure.

4. 04. Charles-Webster-Hawthorne - BeforeTheBall
    Name:  04_Charles-Webster-Hawthorne - BeforeTheBall.png
Views: 113
Size:  168.0 KB

I like this painting because it has really high contrast of almost pure black and pure white. The subject matter of the woman viewing her younger self in the mirror is very contemplative and adds a secondary area of focus. Her waist cloth breaks up the large wedding gown and separates the top and bottom of the image in terms of weight, this allows us to focus on the top two figures and then later admire her gown. The curtain on the right is preventing the black from becoming too severe in highlighting her obvious silhouette.

05. Frank Frazetta - A Fighting Man on Mars
    Name:  05_Fank Frazetta - A_Fighting_Man_On_Mars.png
Views: 113
Size:  181.8 KB

This piece is deceptively complex in details. The light falls specifically on the main focus: the sexy babe. And then on the sword hilt and the man's helmet -drawing us to his face. I really like how Frazetta uses a tanned figure for the man. It gives us the excuse to ignore that big leg in the forground and instead focus on her. I didn't find the time to finish her hand, but I hardly need to, I think it reads even without it.

Last edited by GabrieleGabba; April 3rd, 2014 at 02:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No idea what the protocol for selfless bumping your own thread is, but here goes!

6. Frans Hals - Jester with a Lute
    Name:  06_Frans Hals - Jester with a Lute.png
Views: 65
Size:  209.6 KB

I really like the simplicy of the uniform and lute when contrasted to the face and hands which are carefully rendered. The background is really simple, but looks like spotlight highlighting the performer. I love that some of the details in his suit near the bottom are completely roughed in, that's just economical!

Last edited by GabrieleGabba; April 5th, 2014 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,205 Times in 2,748 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very good progress on the first batch. your shapes, values, and edges are all improving over time. the most recent seems to be off in the face as you have drawn the head a little bigger, so I would revisit that. you are on the right track though so just keep it up.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason, I appreciate the encouragement and feedback. I must admit, I am learning a lot from doing these. I'm looking at art quite differently now Also I think these masters give me some great composition ideas which I can hopefullly apply later on with concepts.

Without further adieu, the next batch,

7. Henry Sturgis Drinker - Man with a Cat
    Name:  07_Henry Sturgis Drinker - Man with the Cat.png
Views: 51
Size:  161.1 KB

I really liked the mix of soft and hard brush strokes in this painting. I learned that I should pay attention to the light source before I start rendering out the shading. That mustache is really hard to paint quickly and hides a lot of the form in his face which was making it hard to figure out where what started and what stopped (Chin and jaw) The most contrast seems to lay in his face, tie area and his shoulder as a secondary area of focus with those extensive folds. The Kernel has spoken

8. Edward Hopper - New York Movie
    Name:  08_Edward Hopper - New York Movie.png
Views: 50
Size:  160.4 KB

I love this composition. In a way it forces me to look at two subjects, the main figure who seems upset, and the theatre where we are oblivious to her plights and where life continues on as normal. The area she is in is lit the most. The chairs are hardly detailed at all, just blacks and a little bit of rim light and one figure that stands out with his bold head.

(I recetly borrowed my dad's Art of Hopper book, I have a feeling his work will infulence me a lot.)

9. Gerrit van Honthorst - The Procuress
    Name:  09_Gerrit van Honthorst - The Procuress.png
Views: 47
Size:  171.3 KB

I like this piece for it's strong narrative. There is an entertainer here bathed in the light of the candle. There is a lot economy in describing the listeners around her who are only plain silhouettes... just enough detail to send the focus bad and forth and then right back to the main subject. Her bosom is also highlighted which seems to be a part of this provocative piece and story. I really like how the light emanates from a point to tell the story. I know some faces aren't perfect, but I think speed painting details like that will improve with time

10. Jacob Isaak van Ruisdael - Tower Mill
    Name:  010_JacobIsaak_vanRuisdael - Tower Mill.png
Views: 46
Size:  170.0 KB

The clouds in this painting are mesmerising. It's a simple scene but looks like it's been painted with a sharp focus on the wind mill who's shapes are strongly contrasting the roundness that seems to be all pervasive. X, marks the spot as they say! Nothing is overly complex in this piece and yet the shapes tell you everything, I like that.

11. Eugene Delacroix - A Mad Woman
    Name:  011_Eugene Delacroix - A Mad Woman.png
Views: 48
Size:  171.9 KB

Talk about economy. There is dones of tonal detail in the face and the background, her hair or clothes are hardly defined. I like how there is light on the ear... just enough to pop it out... even if mine do look a little to bright here.

Last edited by GabrieleGabba; April 5th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on these! Very strong start. I'd watch out to make sure you're always getting the brightest highlights in there - in several of these (esp. 1, 2, 7 & 9) the brightest parts are a few shades too dark. The rest of the values look good, though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia View Post
    Nice work on these! Very strong start. I'd watch out to make sure you're always getting the brightest highlights in there - in several of these (esp. 1, 2, 7 & 9) the brightest parts are a few shades too dark. The rest of the values look good, though.
    You're so right Dahlia. I started noticing this too after a while, I'm slowly fixing it I hope.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some more!

12. Friedrich Von Amerling - The Oriental
    Name:  012_Friedrich Von Amerling_TheOriental.png
Views: 44
Size:  195.9 KB

I like this piece because it has this stunning bounce light which almost entirely lights the figure and highlights her femininity. The chair in the background is really economic and simple, but where the shoulder meets more contrast with dark almost blacks, there is a lot of detail to hold the eye. I think I'll want to study the colour version of this because it's so spectacular. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get this painting done in an hour because it's thick with detail, but I think I have managed to suggest enough?

13. Boris Vallejo - Tarzan and the Castaways
    Name:  013_BorisVallejo_TarzanandtheCastaways..png
Views: 43
Size:  243.2 KB

At first I was almost sure I wouldn't find the time to complete this, but I'm beginning to accept this exercise is about getting the lighting/tone down. So I think I managed. Some figures are a bit out of place/small. I think I could have increased the brights a bit more.

14. Walt Disney Studios - Peter Pan Background Painting
    Name:  014_WaltDisneyStudios - PeterPan Background Painting.png
Views: 44
Size:  286.6 KB

A 'simple' concept but I love how we just get this one source of soft light coming in and casting a brilliant shadow. A little off subject, but has anyone else noticed there's a noose in the tree? -That's pretty messed up! It's clear that this scene has been setup with a focus on the tree and the grass in front where the lost boys come and play.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are showing imrpovement over time which is great to see. the amerling is missing the bounce light from the book on her chest, which is making the piece feel so luminous. the next image is a little dark in the mass light areas, like the elephant's head. and the third image is really really close. great job. keep pushing for value accuracy like you are and you will have that issue solved immediately.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit Jason, I can see everything you're saying now. I decided to slow down a bit on my latest piece and include a WIP if anyone is interested how I work: small to big.

15. Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres - Princesse de Broglie

Name:  Process.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  200.1 KB
    Name:  015_Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres - Princesse de Broglie.png
Views: 28
Size:  207.9 KB

This was a very complex piece so I decided to change my work flow by starting very zoomed out so I could measure the tones and plan properly. I spend more time on this piece than any other piece. The lighting details in her dress are so complicated I could easily spend a day or two rendering them out. I also think I need to find a decent soft blending brush for those very smooth skin value changes... Overall I'm happy with this piece and I think I'll post a WIP along with it.

16. Lucas Graciano - Dragon Swarm
    Name:  016_Lucas Graciano - Dragon Swarm.png
Views: 28
Size:  205.3 KB

I adore Lucas' work, and I think that makes me his billionth fanboy but hey. I love this comp because the focus is definitly on the powerball but it's so cool that we have all these value separations in the dragons. I makes my eye bounce around in a happy way. Also there is a ton of economy here, only a few dragons have any detail, the rest is up to our imagination, I love that, it also has great atmosphere with this cloud background

Last edited by GabrieleGabba; April 10th, 2014 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the ingres could have seen a benefit from being a little more accurate with contest from the get go. you have a slightly softer light on yours, throughout the process. I thought you might catch it, and you made it most of the way, but you can strengthen the light and contrast some. the second image is spot on awesome. keep up the great work.

jm

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.