Ominous Art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ominous Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ominous Art

Hey, I'm in uni at the moment and i'm looking at lighter colour palettes used in ominous style art. I know what I mean by ominous art work but I have to get opinions from other artists and was hoping some people, if they have any spare time would do my survey.
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1x5o...8jURM/viewform

My view on ominous art is more about art that is subtly twisted, subtly dark and eerie such as a house in fog or a church with some skull detailing.
    It would be interesting to see other people's opinions.

Also if anyone knows of any artists or art work that is less gore and more subtle it would be nice to share.
    One image I love and class as ominous is William Turners 'The Fighting Temeraire' because of the proportions between dark and light colour with the eye being drawn to the setting sun indicating the end of an era representing the ghost like boats (Tameraire) life.
    But not everyone agrees with me it's got an ominous feeling.
    Name:  the-fighting-temeraire-tugged-to-her-last-berth-to-be-broken-up.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  1.54 MB

Thanks for any responses.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In high school I really loved the late polish artist Zdzisław Beksiński. His work is creepy as hell, and for me, has a definite feeling of ominous enormity. His main website used to a have a lot of art on it that now seems to have vanished, but I mean, there aren't a ton of Zdzisław Beksińskis, so Google will get you pretty far.

He uses a lot of vaguely gross decaying-looking textures, super detailed, but contrasted with heavy atmosphere. Many of his subjects are of a vast scale. For me, that "ominous" feeling comes from his work creating a sense of a vast, bleak world, in which I would be alone and insignificant in the face of whatever huge, horrible calamity has befallen it.

And, more to the point of what you're looking for, his work contains a lot of deceptively bright, saturated color. Although most paintings contain a lot of muddy color, the detail areas often shine with really warm or cool color. This piece in particular stands out to me.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 16