Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: cake and grief counselling

Thanks

cake and grief counselling

Hello! zoe here. I'll make an introductory post later. Maybe on page 2, just to be contrary.

Composition 1.1

Have some crappy phone pics as I don't have a scanner at the moment. This is typical for a sketchbook for me - doodles, quick sketches from photos and shows watched on my computer. Have discovered recently that I really enjoy working in pen. I think I observe more and fuss with the drawing less.

(I borked my icon and the formatting was driving me nuts so deleted/reuploaded everything.)

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  296.5 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  180.6 KB

This is around 4 or 5 years old now, from an intro something-or-other assignment on texture.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  348.9 KB

I'm slowly learning watercolours, because they work well in multimedia sketchbooks, are portable, and don't trigger my ~Art~ twitchiness.

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  189.6 KB

And some Copics-on-a-cheap-envelope, because I buy expensive markers then use them on envelopes at work:

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  173.9 KB

Some digital stuff to round it out. This is all fanart, because reasons.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  331.8 KB

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  191.5 KB

Name:  009.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  252.5 KB

That was a long post, sorry! Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by verilyvexed; April 8th, 2014 at 12:33 AM. Reason: how do attachments, how do icon, how do formatting, etc.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to verilyvexed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome!! I was going to suggest you start a sketchbook and post some of that comic style art you mentioned, and now here it is!! Some really excellent work here… I like all of it. Calvin & Hobbes is one of my all-time favorite comic strips too (I think that's true for everybody though, isn't it?)

And it's nice to learn your name. Hi Zoe!! (I'm Mike by the way).
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks so much, Mike, and nice to meet you! I had grown fond of 'Double V'. My Dad passed away in February and he got me into Calvin and Hobbes -- comics, really, via Archies and the funny pages -- so it's especially a fave now. I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like it.

Thanks
    Some skull studies
    Name:  2014-04-skulls.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  495.8 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by verilyvexed View Post
    Thanks so much, Mike, and nice to meet you! I had grown fond of 'Double V'. My Dad passed away in February and he got me into Calvin and Hobbes -- comics, really, via Archies and the funny pages -- so it's especially a fave now. I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like it.
    Ah, now the title of the thread makes sense. So sorry to hear about your dad. I went through it with both of my parents a few years ago, so I understand what you're going through, though I'm sure it's different for everybody. Trust me, it'll get easier as time goes on, though it might not seem like it now. Eventually the pain mostly fades and what you have left are the good memories.

Some really good skull studies - I'm gonna have to get on the ball!! The only thing I can see that would make them even stronger is to wrap your lines around the form more. You're doing it in places, but if you can do it everywhere it really makes it pop. I've been gradually learning to do it from my cast studies (that's not to say I always do it.. ).

And yeah, I like double V too lol! I tend to call people by their screen names on the board (or my own version of it). But it is good to finally know your actual name (and gender - it's kinda weird talking to somebody not knowing that.. )

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the kind words. The title is actually a partial quote from a game, but it seemed oddly appropriate. (The thing in my icon is from a speed paint I did of an AI character from the game. I have a theme going, it would seem.)

And thanks for the advice on form -- I see what you mean. I'll try that in the next batch! I'm not very experienced with hatching and it's been ages since I've really done any, but I feel like that's feedback I'd received once before. Oops. At least i'm consistent.

I do the same talking to people online usually, and usually end up with some wildly inaccurate mental image based on no facts whatsoever.

Thanks
    Hi Zoe. Yay you started a sketchbook! After seeing your comp 1.1 stuff, I was super interested in what you did for your personal work. Ahhh, such fun stuff in here, and you will only get better and better if you keep up the work. That's exciting stuff!

Sorry to hear about your dad. Calvin and Hobbes is such an awesome way to connect with his memory. My heart goes out to you.

I look forward to the work and fun you post here. Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanks so much, Grumpysaur! You guys are definitely motivating me. I'm drawing every day, even if I don't post. And thank you for your kind words. I love the variety in your sketchbook.

Thanks
    30 and 60 second gestures, random head doodle page, and assorted silliness.

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  246.3 KB

Name:  tumblr_n31cdowqh81r2vfbto1_500.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  109.3 KB Name:  wheatleyscrollresized.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  102.1 KB

My grandfather passed away yesterday. That's three deaths in three months. Not a great year. I want so badly just to dive into studies and draw for hours on end, and there's so much real life crap to contend with (I'm moving out of state for a while in three days, still haven't finished taking care of my father's stuff) -- but I am still drawing. And I'm about to be unemployed, so at least temporarily, there'll be more time for it... hurrah?

Thanks for looking at tired-ass drawings and listening to me whine!

Thanks
    Oh awesome - I really like the way you're drawing the gestures!!

Edit - wow, just read what you wrote. Too many deaths - makes it harder to deal with. So sorry to hear it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thank you, on both counts. This is going to be the most cheerful sketchbook post on the site, isn't it? Oops. The year will improve if I have to find a personification of it and strangle it into submission. I'm a violent optimist.

As for the gestures, I never feel I'm doing them correctly, so yay! I'm really enjoying doing them in pen, though.

Thanks
    Your work is really looking great, and it's great to see you remaining optimistic about things. Keep it up!
    SKETCHBOOK: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...1770&p=3729048

I once went to buy macaroni and came back with no macaroni, a new tablet, and monitor, so yeah, I can be impulsive.

Thanks
    I love your line! and colours! your style looks so fresh!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast