Advices about my creepy piece

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Advices about my creepy piece

This is a work in progress picture but most of the elements are already there. What do you think? Any advice to improve it?

Name:  Lovecraft070-001.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  133.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm it didn't really feel creepy from looking at it - but this is obviously very subjective.

I think it's the camera angle and the fact that the guy appears pretty unconcerned - it actually made me think that maybe he's a cannibal and this is where he stores his food? A bit like those fish tanks you get in Chinese restaurants.

He looks like a pretty regular guy so it's not like you get the feeling that he's doing some black magic or something. Perhaps if he was kneeling in a pentagram of blood with a heart and a knife next to him or something so you think he's summoning the hands?

Also I think you could really push the way the hands look - either in hue/saturation - make them look dead - and also in how they are - make them gnarled, twisted?

Oh and getting the right atmosphere with lighting is going to be really important. At the moment the lighting is pretty flat. By putting a low light source you can instantly change the feeling?

I did quick value sketch...

Name:  voodoo.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  308.9 KB

Last edited by lovingit; April 1st, 2014 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovingit: thank you fellow for pointing out the man posture problem. I've chosen a different one. What do you think?
    About the others stuffs you mentioned, I'll take care about it later. First fixing the bases seems more useful right now as it lacks of drama obviously. That being said, I'm a little bothered about this lighting problem, If I raise the values I fear I'd lose the penumbra look (eventhough there IS not enough value range in my picture).
    I like your sketch, thank you for taking time to do it. I may use it for something else, I'm kind of in the begining of a "Lovecraftian" area :-)

Name:  Lovecraft070.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  128.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 793 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're getting into the wrinkles and rendering on this guy's shirt a bit early I think - the anatomy is a bit wonky and it's still not giving the creepy effect. I think you should keep playing with the pose/perspective and use a simpler, faster method for getting your idea down - just go for the structure and leave the details for when you've nailed the placement. Once you're really happy with the composition (or you have a couple that you're tied between), do some quick variations with different lighting schemes to push it even further. Then shoot some references, especially for the hands.

I think if you really want to show this guy's response to these arms, you should show his face. I would try a low angle shot from behind the hands looking up at him as he stares down in horror at what he's found. Another possibility is to use the current angle but have him covering his mouth with his hands as if in shock. Right now it reminds me more of someone protecting their eyes from a blinding light. I think the first pose is closer to what you're going for.

Also, I'm really curious how he found them. Was there a trap door or something? Or did he really just go around the corner and find this in the floor?

I really like the idea btw, and I hope you find a way to present it so it captures the viewer's attention.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    Also, I'm really curious how he found them. Was there a trap door or something? Or did he really just go around the corner and find this in the floor?

I really like the idea btw, and I hope you find a way to present it so it captures the viewer's attention.
    Thanks for the advices Dierat, the initial main idea was a door on the floor that let something going out. I thought it would be creepy and bizarre enough but the more I work on it and read your thoughts the more I think I went the wrong way. I think I'll go on another road for this picture and start it from scratch. Thanks guys!

Members who have read this thread: 50