Thanks

Citricacid - Color and Light 1.1

I'm being bad and skipping on to this even though I'm SOOOO close to finishing the composition assignment, haha. I guess I needed a break from looking at all those lovely master paintings... so I could stare uncomfortably at my own face for 2.5 hours!

Name:  selfportrait_3-30.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  146.0 KB

Name:  selfportrait_3-30_edit.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  221.6 KB

I also made this little paint-over of each of the different types of light for fun.

It was really helpful to watch the lecture about the different types of value right before this, because I was way more mindful of it than I normally am.

I definitely realized that the mass light really isn't all highlight or the highest value. It's so easy to throw highlights in left and right until everything's super contrasty, so I fought really hard not to do that this time. (Actually, looking at it now it might need a couple spots of highlights? Or is that my addiction speaking? Haha)

Same with mass dark - I think I can be a little contrast-happy usually, but it seems that in life most things are in this middle range with a few exceptions. And it seems if you generally keep those mass shapes of light and dark closer to the middle and use highlights and core shadows sparingly they have a greater effect.

I've also been trying to be mindful of transition vs. cast shadows in how the edges of the areas of value are handled and this assignment helped a lot in forcing me to really think about how those are handled. I might be reading into these wrong but transition seems to occur on/around a single form or plane as a smooth movement from light to dark (as a form turns away from the light, whereas cast shadows happen past hard edges and planes. I guess these can taper off and be soft as well, but seem to result in all the hard lines in value.

(Whew, sorry for the super stream of consciousness writing there!)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    really nice start on this. a bit of surface texture might add some interest...even noise...something to cut back on the overly smooth photoshop vibe...just an opinion from where i am sitting. even a little texture on the skin to suggest how light is diffused across the surface might be nice too.

crit wise...the indent below the nose seems a little bit harsh and is perhaps too sharp and contrasting. try to capture the fleshy feel.

nice work regardless. keep it up.

jm

Thanks
    Thanks Jason! I made some edits based on your crit - I added more texture in the face and laid some noise overtop. I also softened the area under the nose to try and make it a little more fleshy. And I put an overlay layer on top of everything and tried to adjust the values of everything to make sense a little more compositionally.

I got really distracted with other projects lately, so I think I'm going to try another self portrait before I move on.

Name:  selfportrait_3-30_B.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  216.7 KB

Thanks
    nice work. i look forward to your next painting.

keep an eye on your edge work...as an edge travels in and out of space or moves around in space it can get sharper or softer and tell the story of the form...just like lines can. your far cheek in this one has the same edge so it is flattening just a bit. take a look at the works of ingres as he does incredible edge work on highly polished pieces. it is tough to see but if you look, it is there.

Thanks
    Thanks Jason! I softened that edge, it does seem to have helped! I did look at Ingres' work too, it is funny, his portraits look so crisp at first glance and then you get up close on it and you see how carefully he's controlled the softness of the edges.

Name:  selfportrait_3-30_C.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  189.1 KB

Here's a second portrait, I set up a second mirror to try and get a different angle. I realized after I began that I didn't quite keep it to one light source though, oops. Also with this profile view I didn't feel like I learned quite as much as the 3/4 one. Sooo... I might do at least one more, haha.

Name:  selfportrait_4-17.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  181.2 KB

Thanks
    nice work. i think a little surface texture to the paint might add another layer of interest to the piece. also for vignettes there are a few really great posts by james gurney. just google gurneyjourney vignettes part 1 part 2 and part 3. great stuff.

looking forward to the next one.

j