WiP - First Born

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WiP - First Born

Hey everyone, here's a new painting I've been working on... I'd like to know what you think of it so far! Any and all feedback welcome
    Name:  Viking 14(CAUpload).jpg
Views: 241
Size:  384.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's going on with the hand holding the kid? It's screwed on backwards o.0

I can't figure how that pole-thing is attached. At that angle, though, he definitely isn't holding it in his hand.

Did you make sure, before you got to painting, that you drew out the whole figure, including what isn't supposed to be visible? It really helps to do that.

Visit my sketchbook or my deviantArt!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yuu-chan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that arm is pretty odd. Even before I saw the hand, I was wondering how he would be holding the baby with his arm in that position. Get a reference of someone holding an object about the size of a baby and keep in mind that babies are heavy and delicate, especially the head.

How to Hold a Baby: 10 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

For the pole, moving it to the right would help.

I would also suggest softening that bright highlight on the baby's head. It's giving it an over-exposed effect right now. You could add a blurred glow effect instead if you want the baby to feel kind of holy/special, and maybe dim the lighter values directly behind it so the higher values of the baby stand out a little more against its surroundings.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm guessing that's supposed to be the babies hand clutching his shoulder, not his hand holding the baby... but it should be more obvious, and his arm holding the baby needs some work, perhaps positioned away from the camera (more foreshortening) more so it's believable he is clutching the baby with one arm.

Nice lighting and brushwork though.

Maybe its just me but the baby face looks a touch creepy to me. I think it might be the eyes with tiny pupils... or the lighting, he is just looking a little too much like a tiny possessed person.

Honestly, the pole doesn't bother me, I assumed it was a waist-slung axe, but pushing it to the right couldn't hurt. Just avoid tangents with the arm.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoneseeker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see what's bothering you guys about holding a baby this way. I often used to hold mine this way.
    I like this picture a lot but I agree with Stoneseeker, the baby hand could be differently shown. Maybe by making him extend his arm. Plus the face is a bit creepy as mentionned, maybe by making eye cavities less concave.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StefRob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StefRob View Post
    I don't see what's bothering you guys about holding a baby this way. I often used to hold mine this way.
    It's not '[us] guys'; it's just me commenting on the arm I'll admit I have little experience with babies, but something about how the arm is positioned feels to me like he's not supporting the baby and has it more or less slung over his shoulder. The other arm is positioned down and definitely not supporting it from below. But maybe that's just me.

I think what's confusing about the hand is that it's too a little large for a baby, so I was misinterpreting it at his hand (which, looking at it again, seems like an odd conclusion).

Anyway, I think turning the figure a touch so we could see the baby and arm holding it would make the interaction more clear and touching. Maybe something like this:

Name:  baby_good1.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  11.4 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the feedback everyone- much appreciated!
    Yuu-chan - Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to remember that.

dierat - Thanks for the reference and link! I agree with you and Yuu-chan on the arm. I'll be sure to rework that, and the lighting on the baby's head

Stoneseeker & StefRob - Thanks for pointing that out! I'll reposition the baby's hand, and as I'm reworking the lighting on the baby's head I'll check that his eye cavities aren't too deep - less possessed, more cute

Members who have read this thread: 47