Thanks

Is it wiser to switch to oils paints for an exhibit?

If I were to put up an exhibit, is it wiser to use oils? Currently my area of skill only extends to watercolour, dry pastels, charcoal and colour pencils, I've never used oils. I don't have a problem learning, but it'll take me a while. I'm comfortable with the media I've been using so long, however, if I plan to exhibit my work (this is all hypothetical) regardless of the theme/genre I choose to paint, are collectors/buyers/agents more receptive to oils as a medium? Does it look more professional? Also, do the pigments last longer with oil paints? Are there any fine artists who have used all these media and seen a difference in the way the art world perceives them?
    I plan to start selling my work, it's a plan, I haven't started anything yet, I only have practice and experimental pieces, so I'm laying down some groundwork. I really need to know from experienced artists. Thanks in advance for replying.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    There is a bias toward oils in galleries here in the USA. I've been making my living selling traditional landscapes through galleries for 16 years now. I work in all media, but my galleries only want oils so that's what I give them. If I was ranking things here in galleries it would be oils first, then pastels, then watercolors, then everything else. Of course if you are in the top ten percent of colored pencils artists you might get a good price for your work but generally oils command the highest prices and the most interests and are perceived as more serious or professional.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for answering my question! You're the only one who answered but it was very useful info. Thanks again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhdnor For This Useful Post: