Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: L!nK - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    I decided to study a different subject this time, focusing in a landscape.
    I've found the work of Bierstadt perfect!

Name:  Study 12.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  163.7 KB

There's a rhythm of diagonals that help to show how far the distant elements are and they lead the eye to rest in the horizon line.
    It applies too to the lines in the trees.
    The high values contrast are on the foreground elements like the deers, birds, grass, rocks, and trees, making them pop.
    There's a lot of variety in textures, and some repetition in the trees of the right.
    What is confusing to me, maybe because is my first landscape, is about the emphasis of the piece.
    In black and white, it seems the focus points are the mountains in the back, the river and the surface of the water. Am I right?

I'm very curious about the process of the artist: Did he use photographic reference for this painting? Or was it based just in sketches?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,357 Times in 2,878 Posts
    excellent work. you are now fully on track. just keep them rolling in. inspiring to see the progress. keep it up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    excellent work. you are now fully on track. just keep them rolling in. inspiring to see the progress. keep it up.
    Thanks Jason! It's just like you said once, that some of the quality of the pieces will be incorporated in our work after a lot of practice.
    This one took me about 2hour and a half.

I like some of Frazetta's pieces and this one is really interesting.
    There's a lot of tension, catching that moment full of despair before the snake attack.

Name:  Study 13.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  332.5 KB

The continuity of the elements and the balance of the shapes create a lot of diagonals and a triangle composition, centering the focus.
    The emphasis is in Conan's back, where there's high contrasts in the values with some sharp edges.
    This contrast repeats in the snakes mouth, making it pop and showing the imminent danger.
    There's economy in the upper left corner, where the painter decided to make his signature.
    The variety in textures between the background and the snakes scales help to maintain the focus on the center and lead the eye to Conan.

Thanks
    a little of the pattern on the ground and snake would wrap this up perfectly. great job.

jm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    a little of the pattern on the ground and snake would wrap this up perfectly. great job.

jm
    Ok, here it is then! I couldn't let it that way after what you pointed, so I worked on it for 30 min more or less. hehe

Name:  Study 13.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  280.3 KB

Thanks
    Here's my last one.
    I'm a huge fan of portraits, so I decided to comeback to a more classical artist.
    This one for me has that perfect balance between the loose brushstrokes and the more refined areas.
    Sargent is really inspiring in this aspect.

Name:  Study 14.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  353.0 KB

There's emphasis using high contrasts and refined brushstrokes on the face, and a rhythm of lines that help to lead the eye to that more refined area.
    The background has apparent brushstrokes like the dress, giving more harmony to the piece.
    There's a subtle light on the background behind her head that helps to balance the piece, considering that most high contrasts and emphasis are on the left side.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by L!nK View Post
    Oops... double post! Does anyone know how to delete this?
    no idea, did the same thing myself yesterday. Loving your progress, btw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    its very nice, but yours dose feel a lot sharper. I think there's a little more roundness to the chin in the original. and your highlight on the nose is too hard. then there's some missing textures, especially on the clothing .its close though; way-to go!
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    fabulous work. the texture on the snakes back is a little quieter in yours...same goes with the surface texture in yours on the portrait. You are sooooo close. Keep up the beautiful work. These are great.

jm

Thanks
    Here's my last one after a brake.

Jeff Jones caught my attention after seeing what the other people were studying.
    This piece in particular got the theme that I really liked with the brush quality and refinement that I appreciate.

Name:  Study 15.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  219.7 KB

There's a rhythm of diagonals in the trees and it's branches that help to rest the eye in the area with the figures. The value contrast help the emphasis in the characters. There's not much values in the background, which I found really interesting. Certainly it is because the color has such an important role in the original version. There's repetition of brushstrokes that give a lot of texture to the piece and a distribution of values that give more weight to the right side.

Thanks
    Back to landscapes!
    I almost did another Biersadt, but I think I need some more variety in my studies (variety... got it? ehhhr... ok, it wasn't good!).

Name:  Study 16.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  273.0 KB

The artist used lines to lead the eye to the emphasized area and there's a repetition of triangle shapes. High value contrast help the emphasis on the human figures in the ladscape. There's variety in the textures from the rocks to the water and the clouds. I noticed some degree of economy in the texture, suggesting the rocks surface in the left area, but not putting too much elements to distract from the river scene.

Thanks
    These are great. If you bring in the texture/surface qualities of the original the pieces would better capture the edge qualities and the mood. try introducing more texture brushes to capture that. keep up the great work too. nice work on your values and shapes as well.

jm

Thanks
    After some time doing other works, I'm back to practice!
    Name:  17.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  270.6 KB
    The emphasis of the piece leads the eye first to the man's face, and a rhythm of bright white areas leads the eye down to it's body. The position of his arms create some diagonals. There's a degree of economy in the background, not distracting from the foreground and helping it to stand out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast