Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: samwaulu - Composition 1.1

Thanks

samwaulu - Composition 1.1

Hello folks!
    I picked Repin's "What freedom!" for its marvelous flow and the overall luminous, translucent quality. Also took a larger bite than I could actually swallow. Haven't really painted in about three years. In one hour only produced some incoherent puddles. Simply couldn't leave it at that. The pic attached is a result of about seven hours more work. Has numerous problems, but it's at least recognizable. Time used and fiddling with details kinda defies the purpose of the assignment, but I really needed the practice. I'll try to cut the time on next one.
    Main problem while working: Used wrong type of brush for almost every purpose(too hard/soft/small/large/texture/whatever) and then used another wrong brush to fix the former...

Anyway, the picture; Name:  Ilya_Repin-What_freedom__Study_SW.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  182.8 KB

Emphasis is both on the couple (contrast, sharpness, values) and the foreground waves (large area, tonal difference with the rest of the pic). The direction of brush strokes and flow of the waves also carries the emphasis towards the couple. Secondary emphasis on the ice due to contrast. The repeated ice also has rhytm that helps with perspective and depth.

The picture is about the magnificence of the sea and the feeling it elicits on the couple, which shows on their joyful, proud body postures and faces and sets the mood for everything.
    On my version the postures and faces are a bit off and different. Thus the feeling is changed too. The man is angry and the woman uncomfortable and unhappy. So my pic is what happens when the models have been posing hours upon hours in cold wind for the slow artist...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah, good luck cutting the time spent down there! The textures look so great though. (THAT WATER, dang.)

I think the man's face/beard could be less contrasty, same with his sleeves and the cloth behind him, and the woman's face/features. And this is quite minor, but there's bit of motion of the wind blowing the man's coat to the right that I think you could exaggerate a bit more. Mentioning because that latter one might actually affect the feeling of the piece.

...alright, that said, I'm just gonna stare at that water for a while :o

Thanks
    Hello Aolian,
    Yeah I completely agree with your observations. I left the couple be, largely because my clock was insisting that sun is about to rise.. And I was already beyond the point of the assignment. Yup, gonna stare at the water some more myself

Thanks
    Ok, here's a the second one. Managed to cut the time spent to slightly over 2 hours (managed to stop fiddling). Still having some brush problems.

I picked Rubens Self-portrait partly because of the large relatively simple surfaces (so that I wouldn't spend all day with it) and because I'm not very interested in painting portraits.. I usually have trouble with eyes. So practice is much needed.

Name:  Rubens-Self-Portrait__Study_SW.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  160.4 KB

The pic is very center weighted, including a literal bulls eye. However, shoulders, face and hat are all tilted to to make things more dynamic and shape of the hat helps with that. The dark mass of the hat balances the dark mass of the body and they both bring contrast for the light face. Emphasis is on central eye, due to value contrast and sharpness, with secondary emphasis on the other facial features.

My version has too much contrast, dark areas are too dark, light areas too white. Facial features are a bit off, thus Mr. Rubens seems to be slightly amused about the situation..

Thanks
    Thanked 11,356 Times in 2,877 Posts
    nice progress on this and great to see you breaking down the shapes too. your values need to be just one step closer...you are a hair too contrasting, like too much dark in places or too strong of light on the face for example. keep up the great work...just keep pushing accuracy and you will get there.

j

Thanks
    Thanks, will try to do that

Thanks
    Here's number three, chose the Bierstadt fot its drama, scale and impressive light. 1h 50min on this one.

The very dark and very light areas of the pic are balancing each other, while the contrast also commands attention. The alternating darks and lights have a rhytm of their own. Main emphasis is on the bright clouds on the right, but all the other light tones are forming a circular motion on the picture allowing eyes to follow the circle and see all the details of the scene.

Name:  Bierstadt-Storm_in_the_Mountains__Study_SW.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  114.5 KB

On my version lots of stuff could use tighter definition especially on the clouds and trees, plus the mountain edge on the right is a bit off.. But I'm trying not to fiddle and keep the time spent at least a bit closer to an hour

Thanks
    Not sure why I picked this one, it just caught my attention, but this Degas was tough. Spent about 4 hours, wasted an hour because by mistake my canvas was roughly 10% wider than the original and no matter how much I estimated placements, everything seemed to be off. When I finally figured out the reason, it might have been better to start from the beginning instead of fixing things one by one. Oh well..

The large open floor area, together with windows and walls bring balance to the busy area of the ballerinas and so the picture on the whole is peaceful. Several rhytms can found from windows and repeated poses of the ballerinas, but there is also variety in a separate group. The emphasis is on the entire tightly packed group of ballerinas, secondary emphasis on the clearly separate dark violinist.

Name:  Degas - Rehearsal__Study_SW.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  148.6 KB

On my version the window on the back is falling inwards a bit and contrast is not quite accurate here and there. Plus whatever else I'm not noticing..

Thanks
    Great job samwaulu! These are looking really good. I like how you matched the textures in the last one. The values are a bit off though - in particular the darks are too dark. The angles in the windows are a little off too, for instance the top bar on the nearest window.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Hi Dahlia & thanks! Yeah, having some trouble keeping contrasts where they should be, I'll try watch that. And you are right about the windows.. I was being a tad lazy.. :-)

Thanks
    Number 5. Picked this for its simple power. There's rhytm and variation on the heads heads of the big fellas. Emphasis on the areas of sharpness and high contrast (top right, top left and bottom). The values from darkest (top right) to the brightest (bottom), as well as the curve in the picture help the eye to travel through the details. Haven't the foggiest what the name of the piece has to do with the content

In my version the dudes on left are slightly too large. Time spent still a bit over two hours.

Name:  Beksinski-TheGinPalace__Study_SW.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  121.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,356 Times in 2,877 Posts
    beautiful job. it is clear you see the differences so at this point just keep going. great to see these. nice work on the texture in the most recent one too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Chose this Zorn for its delicate tonal range, thought it might be good practice for getting my contrasts more on target. I definitely kicked myself in the head with this.. 5,5 hours to get to this point and there just seems to be no end to the nuances, but since I'm now fiddling with details it's time to stop I guess.

The picture has very clear triangular structure, a solid form fitting for a queen. The triangle is placed off center to keep the picture dynamic and emphasis is on the eyes and face, due to sharpness and strong contrast.

Name:  Zorn - Queen_Sophia__Study_SW.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  150.8 KB

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast