SO to start this project i wanted to redesign the character i made for my final year project, so i first looked and noted what i liked and hated about that design. so parts liked the spiky hair and split toed trainers i still liked a lot. whilst things like this made up snood jacket thing and the general colour scheme i didn't like at all, thought they didn't suit the kind of character i wanted to go for and wanted to get rid of it.
the original idea was for thew character to be a tracuer/ urban explorer maybe kinda thief-y guy and ultimately i wanted to make a more practical/ sportier outfit for the character
from there i did some rough quick sketches to loosen up and kind of flush out some of the crap that was going through my mind
from here i started doing some silhouette sketches from a base sketch hence why they all have the exact same stance, it was something i wanted to try as it let me add random lines and forms quickly to sort of add to a human figure to give cool silhouettes without having to worry abut getting correct form and proportion in a silhouette.
one thing i do notice is that whilst practical they maybe look a little similar. and silhouette wise, perhaps not instantly recognizable. though perhaps with more grounded(design wise) characters, it's the detail you put into them which makes their designs pop more.
(although that's just a theory I've been thinking of lately)
i also did silhouettes freehand, automatically you notice more interesting outfits and what could be more wild costume design. you'll also notice some proportion and form issues human wise on them, which grates on me.
following from the silhouette i did some sketched, whilst i did do some full body sketches to quickly see how i liked maybe having him bulkier, most of the sketches were to explore head, facial features and some masking ideas.
from that came sketches which were done over select silhouettes mostly from the first batch, partly because i wanted the forms correct and more importantly i wanted the costume to be practical, and they looked more practical as a whole.
from there values were created from the select sketches in order to create a good read for the character, and give then almost a path to follow up and down the body, which hopefully was accomplished.