support my crazy little idea? pwease

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

support my crazy little idea? pwease

So yeah, I won't write two much of an intro, you can read the details here lol: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/art...ection-xd.html

This thread is going to be about the portfolio I mentioned in the link… I looked through the stuff I made this year and chose the newest&best ten - so that in the upcoming month I have to complete about 20 works. Which isn't undoable. I think ._.
    I know there is a sub forum about portfolios, but I've seen people getting little to none response there so I would rather post here lol. Sorry. ^^"

I need to know how to correct the works from below so that they look better. Advice for future drawings would also be nice.
    If some of them are trash and there's no way to improve them - just tell me, I'll add a few numbers to the "number of drawings left to draw for the porftolio" xD

So here they go. First, the still life paintings, all on A3 size:

Name:  zdj?cie(26).JPG
Views: 425
Size:  185.9 KB
    Name:  image (2).jpg
Views: 347
Size:  78.2 KB
    Name:  zdj?cie(37).JPG
Views: 361
Size:  106.8 KB

Pencil still lifes, also on A3:
    Name:  zdj?cie(33).JPG
Views: 364
Size:  101.9 KB
    Name:  1903405_657048197692651_673066785_n.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  107.9 KB
    Name:  1545075_645947222136082_1081872830_n-2.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  148.0 KB
    Name:  1797227_657520554312082_2031073394_n.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  90.2 KB

Pencil still life on B2:
    Name:  image-2.jpeg
Views: 359
Size:  141.3 KB

Pencil self portrait on A3:
    Name:  zdj?cie-7.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  165.0 KB

Charcoal self portrait on B2:
    Name:  zdj?cie-7.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  132.4 KB

So yeah, that's the first ten. When I complete another ten I'll do the same with them.
    I know that some of them appeared in my previous threads here, but they were more "advice for further progress" oriented.
    Thanks in advice! And sorry for asking so many questions around here… I want to get good as quick as I can, so that I can help beginners in the future too

SKETCHBOOK
    I've been drawing for: half a year!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there - felt bad that you didn't get any replies. Why are you trying to build a portfolio? Aren't you 16???

I think the previous responses kinda zoned in on the issues you had already - firstly you need to improve your drawing skills full stop - that means lots and lots of practice - in particular improving your accuracy with things like straight lines and ovals, circles etc...

So - don't think about a portfolio at this stage - you've only been drawing a few months. Think fundamental improvements. I don't see any spheres and cubes Concentrate on drawing spheres, cubes, cylinders until you can draw them without them looking wonky. Keep practicing your observational stuff - do a 50/50 and you'll start seeing a big improvement.

There's really no point trying to work on a portfolio if in six months time you'll just be going - oh crap that's so awful I want to throw it all away and re-do it. Then in another six months time you'll do the same thing again! This is natural if you are improving. If this isn't something you're feeling then you aren't improving and that's a problem!

K

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for replaying! I was starting to think nobody would ever do lol.
    I'm building a portfolio because of the reasons I mentioned in the linked thread... I have one month to complete it (30 works). XD

I am doing cylinders and stuff, but I treat them as doodles, so I don't upload them in my SB. Maybe I will consider doing so xD
    Btw I'm still 15

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh - didn't go to that link.

Hmmm...

Well the work from their current students doesn't look out of your league. Just tidy up the oval shapes etc... and I would have thought you'd get in.

I think it's so cute that you're on here asking for critiques and stuff. It just makes my mind boggle at how the world has changed in 20 years... I mean when I was 15 I had nothing like this - the internet wasn't even invented (or at least I didn't know about it). Only 15 - omg... well lady you are determined for sure - you got your sh*t together. I didn't know what the heck I was going to do aged 15!!! I just liked drawing a lot. I think that's the key to your success and the answer to your question... You'll know if you're meant to be an artist when your Maths teacher starts shouting at you because you're doodling in his/her class

I just enjoyed drawing, like ALL the time - on the bus, in all my other classes - when I got home. I got told off so many times I had arguments with my parents about it (they wanted me to be an engineer).

Art is something that you are called to do - like an itch you need to scratch... The only difference between me and the other kids was how much drawing I did. There's no cheats I guess - just man hours (or in your case girl hours)

Here's some sketches I did for A-level - so I guess that's 16-17-18? Frankly I haven't improved much between 18 to 36 which is a bit of a shame!!!

Name:  IMG_0356_resize.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  237.0 KB

I don't think you're like miles off - and considering you've only just started drawing, I bet you that by the end of the year you'll be up there. Drawing as a kid is the best time to do it - no rent or bills to pay! Learn to draw constructively (i.e. building muscles etc...) - look at Loomis - figure drawing for all it's worth - I only came across this recently but I was already drawing constructively when I was a kid - guess I spent a lot of time looking at comics. If you learn to draw constructively, it frees up drawing from your imagination. That way you can do lots and lots of doodles without having to look at stuff (excellent when you're in a classroom) - unless you like drawing pens, pencils and erasers or the back of other kid's heads

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think your stuff is good enough to get you into an art high school, especially because I think at that level they are primarily interested in seeing drive and initiative. I don't know if the school is good enough, I don't know polish so I can't read the homepage. The art gymnasiums in my country are pretty wishy washy and have a reputation of being places where students transfer when they drop out of their regular gymnasium, but that's essentially gossip and I don't have any first hand experience. There's also one trade level school (which may be closer to what you're describing) where my mum taught furniture design and she told me students there had mixed success, but pretty much all of them ended up with fairly weak results in 'regular school subjects'. What are the standards they set for candidates in other subjects? If they're low or they don't care chances are you're going to get a weak education non-art wise. I don't know if that's all that important to you and it's not necessarily a life stalling result, but it may prove problematic later on. I know some people who went to an after school art school if you have that sort of thing.

As for the art itself. Your rendering is ahead or your understanding of shape and form. You have issues with elliptical shapes and planes in perspective. Some of these feel a little rushed too. Your sense of colour isn't bad though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not replaying earlier! I think that teachers at school decided to check how many tests a week we can take without collapsing lol.

Lovingit, those drawings are so awesome! I wish to be able to do something like that when I'm 18.
    Talking about maths… This one is from today and pretty much pictures my understending of finding the volume of a solid of revolution:
    Name:  zdj?cie-9.JPG
Views: 136
Size:  115.6 KB
    It's a bubble rhino tank (in case somebody didn't notice).

I'm gonna try and correct the elipses on the paintings (the red pot ._.). Thanks god they're in acrylic. The more I look at them, the more scewy they get. I'm slowly filling up my notebooks at school with circles and such, but my hand is still unsteady. The weird thing is, I can draw a line that looks like I just used a ruler, but my circles are aweful. I mean I always have to draw them with chicken steps or they'll look like popped up baloons ;_;
    I'm learning constructive figure drawing (got Loomis's books about the body and the heads and hands), but the instructions are kinda hard for me to follow and I always end up messing up when drawing from imagination. But they helped a lot in with my portrait practice, and once in a wile I do a face from mind and every time it looks a lil bit less retarded. On my way lol.

Hi Nofu! I'm glad you think so. I hope they'll think so too lol!
    The website is in Polish, but I the link leads straight to their photo gallery. Those are works second and third year students.

I'm in gymnasium now, graduating in three months. Next comes the art high school - you can't transfer there, you have to take the 3 day (painting, drawing, the history of art test) exams that are held once a year. I've heard that the level of maths and such is slightly lower, but I'm mainly focused on language learning and that I do by myself. So I'll be fine, I suppose.

Yeah, the "rendering" thing came to my mind during my art classes yesterday… Everybody there is amazing already, I'm the only noob. Their sketch and all looked good from the beginning, when my work started looking the low end of decent when I was about half way through filling the picture up.
    Name:  1965491_679821502081987_241293146_o.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  74.8 KB
    Name:  zdj?cie-8.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  132.7 KB

Thanks everybody! ^^

Last edited by Alicja; March 27th, 2014 at 11:33 PM.
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's looking much better - it's an overused word but I do actually think you have natural talent.

You'e only been drawing for about 6 months right? - You've captured the 3D form well and the reflections and material separation are pretty good. The perspective looks a little odd but that will come - imagine each object as being a box - a simple 3D object.

Extending on this idea, the best way to draw properly accurate elipses is to draw a rectangle in perspective - divide that into 4 - and then you have 4 points of reference - you are essentially drawing 4 arcs rather than 1 whole elipse.

It's worth a go anyway - elipses are hard - when I do them freehand it's a case of trimming them down as I go along.

Name:  elpise.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  42.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I've seen some works done by people my age on this site… If I had a natural talent, I can't think of what it would be that they have xD
    But thanks! ^^
    Soon it will be 3 months This is my drawing from 3 months ago, first try at portraiture *cringe*:
    Name:  mrs_female_face_by_soulsareyummy-d6yogh4.png.jpeg
Views: 164
Size:  193.6 KB
    I'll definietly try out that method with boxes! http://www.draw23.com/images/cylinder-drawing.jpg It's something like this, right?
    I'll start with cylinders and move to cups and such Thanks for telling me!

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After talking with a girl who graduated from the same type of high school I decided to add some digital stuff…
    Should I use them all or are some of these not good enough (well, 'good' considering my low level xD).
    Name:  dariru.png
Views: 120
Size:  319.0 KB
    Name:  bob.png
Views: 115
Size:  297.8 KB
    Name:  Bez nazwy-1.png
Views: 122
Size:  267.6 KB
    Name:  hinduska-2.png
Views: 127
Size:  433.1 KB

I also made a pastel painting… If someone could tell me how can I make tha floor at the back "lay down", I'd be very happy xD
    Name:  zdj?cie-16.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  142.9 KB

I've been working on this one for quite a while… I hate it, but I'd like to finish it anyway. The right side is unfinished, and I just can't figure out what's so wrong about the left side (although I have a feel that the answer would be "everything" xD).
    My art teacher told me that I ruined it ;_;:
    Name:  zdj?cie-15.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  142.6 KB

Not sure if I should finish the torso…? (self portrait in charcoal)
    Name:  zdj?cie-4.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  129.4 KB

Tried to use a white pencil on black paper… Something went wrong with the perspective?
    Name:  zdj?cie-10.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  176.0 KB

Not sure if this one's interesting or just plain stupid xD:
    Name:  zdj?cie-21.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  120.3 KB

I'm not necesarrily asking for a critique on each one of them, but if something looks like visibely off then please tell me what to fix…
    Thanks in advance!

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, this thread wasn't much of a success, but I'm gonna update just in case somebody cared (NOT lol).

The audition or whatever you'd call it takes place !tomorrow!

I found somebody offline that helped me fix mistakes in each one of these, and I'm pretty much content with the level of my portfolio, cause despite it not being very good even for an art high school, I have a feeling that I've done everything I could. So tomorrow will be a big YOLO, we'll see if the profs think the same xD

So, here's the whole thing:
    CLICK HERE IF WANNA SEE

I'm always happy for more suggestions ( only till tomorrow afternoon, but still xD).
    Wish me luck

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wish you luck! Hope you get what you want

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi nofu, thanks!
    The audition wasn't actually bad at all. I just got ass patted and informed about the exams' details lol.
    They didn't even count my works… And I was worrying so much!! xD
    The only "bad" part was when they asked me to tell them my school grades… ^^"
    They're a bit below average, I hope it won't matter *that* much...

SKETCHBOOK

Members who have read this thread: 61