• Beamme

25 37.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    And I`m sorry your comment here shows lack of basic manners.

The critique you recieved is valid - your piece is more of an illustration than actual character design. If you look at other entries you`ll notice each character is unique, be it through silhouette, colors, patterns etc. We all attempted to create something "fresh" and not seen before. Your character is a man (?) in a robe and a hood. TBH, there`s nothing of visual interest that would separate him from other characters if he was an NPC in a video game. Speaking from experience here, btw.
    Be it as it may, the lack of visual interest may be the thing I am going for? Who is to say that it is not character design? Lack of excess may be a way of going about it. The major point is, he has a hood, he creates this illumination, yet stays sealed under the hood, and is mysterious. That's all I have to say.. the context is what makes a character anyway, what you are talking about is (in my eyes) shallow. The whole context might be filled with overly decorated and detailed characters, and then there is this one, with no need to say more than my "not" design. He is not a baroque villa, and that was my intention. Just saying, I read the rules, did not break them, so I would be delighted to have less autocratic judgement going around. But thanks for your experience, mr experience.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 396 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Last time I try to give you some input. Good luck with your career. With that attitude, you`re going to need loads of it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lakka, you didn't follow the brief. It specifically said that there is a golden design on the robe and that its repeated throughout the robe. While the lack of visual interest maybe your intent, there is still the key design points of the brief that have to be met, as the case would be for a professional job which this is supposed to be practice towards. Those requirements could've been met while still keeping it simplistic in design. There was a lack of attempt to meet that, as well as revealing the character too us. Consider us fellow artists as omniscient, we should know everything in regards to the character. In their world, in their universe, your character can be the most mysterious unidentifiable being to walk the clouds and to worship the sun. To us though he is but a mere mortal and we can and should know who he is. As your design stands that is not possible for us to know. While Pxel might have been blunt, critiques are here to help identify how we can produce stronger and more competitive art so they will have a chance to be voted on in future attempts. Goodness knows I have fallen short and produced weak work, and I take all the advice I can in order to produce stronger pieces. Good luck with future contests!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abrazuno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    Last time I try to give you some input. Good luck with your career. With that attitude, you`re going to need loads of it.

Thanks!

Abrazuno, thanks, and you make a good point, and I did not follow the brief correctly, I missed to gold... Still I do feel like this way of going about is not very progressive. I do study an artistic profession, so I am quite used to critique, and what pixel said is in no way blunt/nor am I offended, it's just that this whole scheme seems wierdly autocratic, and I think it's hilarious that I get called out for "not taking critique in" for voicing my opinion on the matter. Getting an explanatory comment "your character is a silhouette" is quite ok, and it is true even, but being excluded from the whole thing, that's not very cool.

But hey, it's not my competition, I know I am free to not participate, but I would rather give my 2cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well you guys just about covered every reason why it didn't make the poll.

I just want to say, Lakka, as an overall painting, your WIPS are better than your final. You placed him in a neat world and gave it a bit of mystery. However this is a challenge to design a character. Not the world or the story, but the character. The reason you were cut is simply because you really missed the point of this challenge. And as a critique on your responses, I suggest that you have a little more respect and don't take things so personal.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I am sorry if I disrespected you/someone, I just felt like saying something. But I get it, I'll just shut up and post pictures...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A solution to make a character with mystery halo could have been to make a very accurate silohouette for exemple. Often that's the most thing you need (that's what I've learn this round), a good detailed silohuette with a couple of lights can describe perfectly a character, and that's the way a lot of pro artist use. Do not shut up, just accept rules and judge, cos here we are in challange =). Last round I've been out the poll, for reason that was not right for me, but poll is nothing, picture is everything =) Cheers , and so happy Beamme is reaching the top til now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lakka, I liked the colorful version of yours a lot and was going to vote for it, actually, as he's very much what I imagine a sun priest would be like in more 'simple' civilizations - but I agree with the 'did not follow brief' comment although not the one about a lack of ornamentation/clear silhouette.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Really Great entries everyone! I didn't make it through de deadline but I wanted to share with you what I did on the topic. So here it is!

Name:  solarpriest_low.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  112.7 KB

Last edited by Renart; March 24th, 2014 at 11:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 8