JimiB - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: JimiB - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

JimiB - Composition 1.1

This is my second attempt at the one hour composition, but I found my first attempt so abhorrent that I decided to delete it from time and space. This second shot isn't any better to be honest - at a quick glance I can see that the levels are way out, as are the basic shapes, it's also soft in places where it should be sharp and don't ask me what's going on with the arrangement of his features!

I felt that I had to post it though as it'd be cheating to hold back until they're coming out perfectly.

Name:  240px-Ffrazettaself.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  103.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi JimiB, I honestly think you should upload that first study of yours aswell. We are all here to learn and you can be certain that no one will be teasing anyone about anything they upload. All you'll basically get are helpful advice.

That being said, you could be doing much worse for your first study - don't beat yourself up, instead try to take the lessons you learn with you. Your values are off, right so you pay more attention to values next time. The shapes are wrong, so you'll be more careful mapping out shapes when you do the next study. That's why you're here, and since you can see what's wrong with the study that means you're already learning

Also, don't let the one hour limit stress you out - if you spend one and a half hour it won't matter. If you spend three hours it won't bother anyone either.

Try really thinking about what you're doing and have fun!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,090 Times in 2,642 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this is not far off...mainly it's an edge thing and perhaps a little bit of shape adjustment. Note where the sharpest sharpest sharps and softest soft edges are and use them as guideposts/landmarks for the rests of the edges in the image. Edges are important to space, form, and focal areas, so getting those in there will help the piece a lot. Once you do, you will see quality improve a lot. Keep up the great work. -jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I tend to lean towards 'It's a total disaster' whenever an art piece goes wrong rather than learning from the experience!

I'm a little happier with this one, still done within the hour (I'm doing these during my lunch breaks at work) but I took it a lot slower and put more thought into the edges. I also worked from layers as I would usually, so that I wasn't chasing my tail with mistakes as I did with the last one. It's still a little 'fluffy' but that may be more to do with the size of the image and the brushes I'm using - Hopefully the next one will be even more refined.

Name:  De_Windstoot-A_ship_in_need_in_a_raging_storm-Willem_van_de_Velde_II-1707-sz500x607.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  136.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know all about negative thoughts when working on stuff that is hard - but shove them aside and remind yourself why you're here. Remember to have fun. Like Jason said somewhere: "This is a really fun assignment, don't make it hard on yourself".

Looking really good Jim, I see improvement already. Spend a few more minutes on mapping out shapes and you see a huge improvement I think.

Good work, keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    deleted

Last edited by Agerkvist; March 19th, 2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: double post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are some very good first studies. Three things I shared with another artist earlier...and they are very basic.

a. slow down and be sure your shapes are roughed in and mapped out very very accurately. flip the images horizontally and vertically more if need be.
    b. do a pass toward the end where you double check and triple check all your values, starting with the largest shapes.
    c. make sure you are accurately rendering your edges...don't leave things too soft in areas.

these are not disasters at all...no studies really are. You are getting 95 percent the way there on each of the above and the goal is to hit 100 percent on each. It takes some patience but if you develop these habits from the start you will find it easy by the end.

Keep up the great work.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  REPIN_portret_REPIN copy.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  195.7 KB

I took a lot longer with this one, kept flipping the images and really slowly referring back to the original - it did take me over the hour - closer to two I imagine. I'm still struggling with the softer edges, I wonder if it's the bushes I'm using? I'll keep trying to refine them though.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking good, you are getting more and more accurate with the shapes in each of your studies. So the time and patience you are putting into these are paying off. Keep them cooming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Frank-Frazetta-cave-demon.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  193.7 KB

I had a lot of fun with this one, and I think it shows! I realised a little too late in the day that my values were off, so I used an adjustment layer to try and bring them back in line, does that count as cheating? I'm a lot happier with my work now that I'm taking more time to block the shapes out, definitely over-shooting the hour still, but enjoying the process a lot lot more.

I'm really loving all the feedback and I'm definitely taking it on board, hopefully it shows.

Last edited by JimiB; April 2nd, 2014 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fabulous. really good work. I think that it would be even stronger with a hint of that surface texture in there. be wary of being too smooth and digital in the painting surface when studying traditional works. awesome job though.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JimiB, I'm doing these studies, and it's pretty shocking for me to see how rough? mine are coming out after an hour. The hour flies by as you work on these, no?
    Anyway, I'm just trying to learn through the process, and not worrying too much even if my "finished" products won't really impress anyone.
    Your last two look quite nice! Nice stache on 3, and the fire and figure look cool on 4. Lots of energy! =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hour does go by so quickly, I've started worrying a lot less about it now though and I'm adopting more of a 'It's done when it's done' sort of attitude, that small change has made the process much more enjoyable. Thanks for the feedback, it's of a great help and encouragement.

I've submitted this one a little 'early' as I realized I was letting time run away with me (about 3 hours + I'd say) and I was getting too granular which was leading to mistakes on the broader image as a whole. I may return to this picture down the line, but for now I'll leave it as is, warts and all, and move on to the next one.

As a quick over-view of the mistakes I can see: I really rushed to get it 'finished', so there are some issues with the shapes and the background is way off - in fact I didn't touch it from my first pass ... and it looks that way!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JimiB; April 9th, 2014 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow that's great.

The only thing I could spot after looking at it a while is that you've not quite got the shininess of the metal saddle, bridle and stirrups, but I'm just being picky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    get those light lights pushed into the image, like behind the death dealer's head. great job though...keep it up. you are on the right path for sure. jm

Members who have read this thread: 42