Thanks

Illustration vs Industrial Design

Hey guys totally a generic question open to all peoples, thoughts, opinions, positive outlooks, you don't need to do negatives as I dont think there are any. Total preferences.

Are any of you doing concept design but who may have pursued either one of these components(subjects) that may helped you to get to where you are today?

Interested in REF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVji_fiKsw << 30mins video

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Not sure what the question here is. Many do both (concept art as well as illustration), some specialize.
    They are related fields that are based on the same fundamentals (albeit with different emphasis).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    With all do respect to Feng, those museum paintings he put up are not illustration and shouldn't be lumped in with Frazetta and other illustrators. Representational art is the same set of skills, people specialize because of their interests, not because the skill sets are different. If all you want to do is draw cars then you will probably draw cars better than faces. But if you wanted to learn to draw faces you would go through the same process you did to learn to draw cars. Also illustration is as much digital work as concept art is now. The idea you have a painting to sell is for galleries not illustration.

I get the point he is trying to make which is, different industries using art have different goals for that art; which is true but only gallery art needs a physical original nowadays everything else is the same really. Illustration doesn't have anymore finish than concept art now either. Concept art now is being used as post production art, not pre-production work for design. So in that way it is just the same as illustration.
    Last edited by dpaint; March 18th, 2014 at 01:52 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    oh that's interesting point there dpaint I didn't think about that.

Benedikt << Hey, and totally agree people do illustration and concept art. I was trying to figure out what part I should learn to do because I also found that the fundamentals are very similar, I like both. But I think I am more towards to illustration since I love people and characters. But in the other hand would love to learn mechs too.

Don't have to read this:
    I live in a country New Zealand and have figure I'm going to have to use the internet to show me how to learn to be a so call artist, because we don't have a school like TAD, Concept art Academy or FZD. However 3D Animation is the closest for entertainment design or working in games and film. But I rather start from the beginning with fundamentals and hearing some people say its not worth going to the fine art schools as they tell me they are more modern contemporary . So I looked at industrial design and illustration as they seem more attracted to concept design. Thanks guys

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Concept art now is being used as post production art, not pre-production work for design.
    This is a very interesting point especially for beginners just starting in the field- I recently read a blog post about this (can't find it atm). Basically what is happening is that the label "concept art" is being applied to all sorts of artwork that is produced not as a true concept but as marketing. The problem with this for beginners is that it misrepresents the type and polish of work that is really done during pre-production. Highly detailed illustrations that are the result of hundreds of hours of actual concepting, modelling, painting etc. are marketed as "concept" art.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks