Art: August Self-Portraits!!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

August Self-Portraits!!

Kind of a weak one to start off August with, but oh well. Let's kick ass this month everyone.

August Self-Portraits!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope it shows that I put hours into this one.
    Any crits on this one are very appreciated.
    August Self-Portraits!!
    To all: Hope this month gets even more sp:s posted, last month was great I couldn´t even make time to make comments to all. Keep going strong

Blackhawk: well thats in the eye of the beholder, anyway you got to start off the month I hope you have more time to do sp:s this month.

My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone,
    it's been a few months since I've posted any SPs- I got a new job and I barely have time to get online anymore...last months SPs were great and I hope this month I can find some time to post some stuff...

Blackhawk- It may not be much now (which is arguable) but it could be the start of something pretty cool if you took it further...

Mindflaw- Don't forget that the shapes of the head are caused by the structure of the skull...it seems like you might've forgotten that in some places. Even though the shadows might be in the right place and the right shape as when you were drawing, they still may not necessarily describe that form completely accurately- thinking of your face as a 3 dimensional 'landscape' (for want of a better word) might help you out...or maybe you already know all that...
    one more thing, when you draw hair, make sure you look at it...what does it look like? For example, your beard is all pretty dark in tone, even where your face is well lit. I know that when I had a beard it looked dark except when there was light on it and it looked more ginger...the hair is lighter in areas where the light shines on it...maybe someone else can explain it a little better cause I'm not doing too good a job...

anyway i hope that helps

jens- that colour adds a whole new dimension to your sp...i guess that dimension would be colour (duh) anyway it looks great

Last edited by Marcatili; August 1st, 2004 at 01:16 PM. Reason: to save posting again
    Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jens: Thanks,the depth is my biggest problem just don´t get it right, and about the eyes I have looked in the mirror again and I did do those spaces a little to wide. About the mouth I got a little mouth I have checked it a thousand times with the same result I guess I´m the opposite to Mick Jagger mouthwise anyway. Thanks for the help

About your sp I think the gouache highlights was a nice touch that added to your sp

expat:Thanks, I know what you mean about shape just can´t make it happen. My beard is really dark (even surprised my friends when I grew the beard, my hair is much lighter). I think I captured the hair quite good, but it I guess it can be done much better. Thanks for the crits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    August Self-Portraits!!

Blackhawk: Nice nose portrait.

Mindflaw: Looking good, I remeber some of your old SPs and this one seems to be a step further in the right direction. I would suggest to pay more attention to the symmetry of your face and features. One eye is a little droopy and the top edge of your beard on the right side of your face looks too low...

Jens: Good stuff, I like the loose paint strokes and rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    strych9ine: I like you style! Your right side (our left) looks a little squashed in, though. Your linequality is real nice!

jens: solid as ever. It's cool that I really don't have to check the name to see who made it..hehe. Great colorchoices! Your eyes look very much alive.

mindflaw: Looks good.If I was to crit anything else than what has been said, I guess it would be that your hair/beard shouldn't be rendered with a whole lot of lines. Don't try to draw every hair, try to look at it as lumps, sort of. If you define the shaded/darker and the light parts with a little detail, the hair would look better. I think

Blackhawk: I like it! Could do with a little more detail.. for example some indentations where the teeth go in..a crack or two.. to go with the mood in the picture, wich is really cool!

Here's one I made the other day..any crits/comments are very welcome!

August Self-Portraits!!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pencil 4-5 hours

August Self-Portraits!!

dcept-cool, throw a couple real hotspots in there

stretch-getting alot solider...if thats a word. Is that chest hair i see? lol

jens- you are doing some really great ones as of late, keep doing what your doing.

mindflaw- don't forget about eyelids. also, don't forget to shade the eyeball. a harsher light will help you see the forms better.

blackhawk- cool concept...i bet you just got lazy though. i can picture you, sitting at your computer thinking "ahhh....i've drawn the nose and an eye...i'll just rough in a skull and call it done"...regardless, it looks good.

Only Crit: Add a lensflare.

edit: dcept- you are right, the hair is garbage.

edit: good crit mindflaw, though IRL my nose is slanted to the side...I'm asymetrical! the mouth and nose are in roughly the correct relation. the eyes are too close to the eyebrows, and you are right about the ears and my head. i think i turned a little when i drew the one ear, and didnt turn when i drew the other. and their relation to each other is off as well...Thanks for pointing these things out!

Last edited by jetpack42; August 3rd, 2004 at 07:46 PM.
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jetpack: thanks! There are brighter highlights in the original... my scanner kinda flattens the image, it would seem.. I'll try to get a better scan, and update the post.
    My crit for you would be the hair..both the eyebrows and your your..well..hair. Don't use a whole bunch of lines.. Describe the volume/shades/highlights... Other than that, it looks real nice!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, it's been quite a while for me. I've been a bit busy I guess. Glad to see everyone still rocking away.

Well here is my latest.

August Self-Portraits!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some crits

WOZ: Maybe work a little more with the shape of the cheeks?

Jetpack:
    August Self-Portraits!!

I put in some lines you know how they works
    * check out ears length.
    * When I compare the ears your it shows that you have your head turned slightly to the right meaning that the inverted part of the lines at the eyes shouldn´t be the same lenght they are now the same length the if I´m not wrong of course.

* Mouth could be right if you`re "pulling" your mouth sideways.

* Your hair if I remember right from one of your previous avatars is blonder, if so it might be useful to use a harder pencil to get the right value. Try to spend more time finding the right direction of your hair.

* Eyebrows same thing here try to find the direction of the hair it changes and try to show the shape of the scull you probably get the eyebrows more "S-shaped".

I think you got it rendered good and it seems like its a better sp than your previous sp:s

dCept: I had the same comment as jetpack about highlights about scanning this might help even if its about pencils. It´s in the tips and tricks scanning pencil
    Its seems like you changed the contrast on the assumption that lower left corner is lighter irl, then this would work scan it 72 dpi to photoshop then duplicate the image and put the new layer in multiply thus the white stays white and dark gets darker and then change opacity levels to get it like irl. Maybe you could work a little with building up subtle highlights by using kneaded rubber i htink its called in english or like they did in the old days by using soft white bread in the same manner as with kneaded.

Otherwise I cant think of anything.

Strychnine: Your are right about the eye the in my sp there shouldnt perfect symmetry since I´m have my head turned slightly in one direction affecting it all but since it so little it doesn´t show that much. In your sp it seems like you have moved your head slightly when doing some of the features just a little but still anyway its´a nice sp.

Oh yes and if any you find my crits to be wrong please tell me and why, good way to learn

Probably have a new sp in the end of the week keep going dudes

Last edited by Mindflaw; August 3rd, 2004 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found some spare time to actually get around to posting something...

August Self-Portraits!!

I kinda rushed this one, there are quite a few problems with it but I appreciate any crits anyway

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.