tdome...eatpoo vs ca or metaphor and symbolism (fine arts) or....?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,606 Times in 2,213 Posts
    Follows
    Following

tdome...eatpoo vs ca or metaphor and symbolism (fine arts) or....?

hey,

While the last tdome is being judged finally, I wanted to bring up a topic circulating on eatpoo as well as mention our current idea for the next contest.

eatpoo tdome thread

There has been some rivalry going on between the ca and poo forums which goes back almost two years now. While most of us are dual members (both here and there), the idea has come up for us to choose sides and battle head on, site vs. site, in a match of skill, creativity, and talent for the next thunderdome.

Now, I have had the conversation with Andrew and we both agreed that we would have the next tdome internal and focused around a more fine art side rather than the normal character stuff. Perhaps the topic could be "seven deadly sins" or "your death", or metaphorical imagery or symbolism. The topic of "self portrait after the apocolypse" even came up...a ring back to the first tdome but instead of it being any battle character, it would be YOU...though that is perhaps less fine artsy...but no less fun.

Please share your thoughts.

J

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't see the eatpoo thread for some reason.

A self-portrait of sorts is an interesting idea, and would be a nice step away from the confrontational versus style of the last TD.

Thunderdome On!

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know the feeling. lol

maybe it is not such a great idea....we could use a dose of freshness to the contest that a more fine arts based tdome would bring...but then again...I dunno...too hard to make a decision at seven am.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A self portrait seems a bit too restrictive to me. You could obviously do lots with it, but it doesn't seem like a topic that would inspire the wide range of work that we saw in the last tdome.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last tdome was a free for all....we are going to use topics for the next one of some sort...though I think any topic is restrictive...I just want to make a fun topic which has either merit for portfolios or personal artistic growth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems to me that encouraging people to 'choose sides' for another Eatpoo vs. CA.org Thunderdome isn't going to make things any easier between us. I know it's only a bit of fun for most but, as we've seen recently, passions run very high for others and I don't really see the point in stirring it all up again.

Personally, I'd like to see each CA.org'er team up with an Eatpoo'ist for a collaborative TDome of love and reconcilliation. Thunderdome 8 - ' I love you, man..! '

After the slightly chaotic affair that was TD7, it'd be good to have a meaty, focused topic for the next one. I really like the idea of producing an epic, allegorical fine art piece, and a break from the character-driven theme would be refreshing.

If we can't all get along, I vote for the fine art thing.

Last edited by Matt Dixon; August 1st, 2004 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just want to make a fun topic which has either merit for portfolios
    Good point.

Actually, I don't know, but I liked Tdome 7. The only thing that bothered me was that I only got to take on one person. Maybe it would be interesting to split it up in two and have a internal CA war. Organic vs mechanical or something like that. (topics can be whatever, as long as they are opposites of each other.) People choose a side and go there, then it is balanced by the mods, and the competition starts.

I'm sure that there are other great ideas out there for the next tdome, so you should probably just start a tdome brainstorm thread in the lounge and see what people say. If they want a conventional free for all, then so be it, but some interesting ideas may emerge nonetheless...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the topic ideas, subject-wise self portraits would be defined enough to give you a good start yet it's a broad enough topic to give interesting and varied results. Plus they're always a good exercise of your observational skills and anatomy knowledge.
    I think that in theory a CA.org vs Eatpoo battle sounds like fun but I'm not really sure it'd work out that well, who knows. The only thing I know for sure is that I'd like to be involved in TD but I don't really know many people here, let alone on Eatpoo so figuring out who I'd challenge would be difficult, maybe even to the point that I'd decide not to be involved.
    One suggestion would be to maybe make a few categories, ie: best concept, best finished piece, etc. Or a few different topics like best creature, best environment, etc.

I dunno, I'm tired and not sure if this makes any sense...

There is a crack, a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto
    Good point.

Actually, I don't know, but I liked Tdome 7. The only thing that bothered me was that I only got to take on one person. Maybe it would be interesting to split it up in two and have a internal CA war. Organic vs mechanical or something like that. (topics can be whatever, as long as they are opposites of each other.) People choose a side and go there, then it is balanced by the mods, and the competition starts.

I'm sure that there are other great ideas out there for the next tdome, so you should probably just start a tdome brainstorm thread in the lounge and see what people say. If they want a conventional free for all, then so be it, but some interesting ideas may emerge nonetheless...

some of that stuff is really interesting I like the idea of people working in teams, even if they are assigned, lets say at random. I also like the idea of the ca vs eatpoo but its not neccesarily practical. Looks like most of them are up for it though. However if that doesnt work, the idea of somthing teambased could prove really damn cool, as team mates and aopponents could motivate each other.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it should be an ENVIRONMENT (character optional for scale)

REASON- That seems to be what is most lacking in most portfolios and what is most needed in most studios.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm curious. Who is the winner for the last CA vs EP thunderdome?

...+1 exp

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    john mueller judged the first ca/eatpoo battle... i can only remember that mcotie won something.. i believe there were several winners.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Put me down for self portrait after the apocalypse!!!!

I would love for a fine art/ idea focused thunderdome, and I am sick and tired of this rivalry b.s. I just don't want to hear about it anymore. If we can't play nice, then lets not fan the flames.

P.S. I agree with benzo, there should be some aspect pushing the environment side of things.

- Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can feel the heat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Would be cool with some sort of classical art 'emulation', like nude white pearbelly girls, drapery, fit guys in frozen poses, tables with fruits, etc. Emulating that whole look. Bouguereau, Leighton, and well rendered stuff, see artrenewal stuff.

This might encourage ppl to take a closer look at classical art and what makes it look the way it does. 'OMG no outlines!'

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea of "self portrait after the apocalypse" . If you want to include environment stuff, just place yourself in a post-apocalyptic landscape and not just have it focused or YOU. The next tdome could be "You In the post-apocalyptic world"

I think that'd be super cool to try and do painting of. WIP threads would be REALLY REALLY nice to look at. I mean, all the environment drawings and self portrait practice drawings..... those threads would be pretty long with lots and lots of good stuff to drool over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just want to draw cool monsters and vehicles and stuff. i think the thunderdome should be kept to concept art, not fine art. just my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dixon
    Seems to me that encouraging people to 'choose sides' for another Eatpoo vs. CA.org Thunderdome isn't going to make things any easier between us. I know it's only a bit of fun for most but, as we've seen recently, passions run very high for others and I don't really see the point in stirring it all up again.
    no offense Mr. Dixon, but talk like this has alot to do with why they want to kick our ass in the first place. I had completely forgot that Eatpoo even existed; so no sleep lost here.

But all due respect to the amount of talent I remember being there a few years ago....count me in.

Mitch

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, mcotie...you live?

Prom had once a good idea on another forum (feeb's one)...it never got started but it was very interesting i think...

For TD8 we could do a topic involving duels...like "machine vs monster"..."creature vs creature"..."hero vs beast" etc...

Now that's part 1...after the first images (set up in presentation style) every member will know what the opponents "fighter" will look like...

Now they have to draw/paint a second image: "How my fighter f.... the sh... out of yours"...a fight-scene where your own creation is defeating the opponents one...

The artist will have a few challenges while doing this like:
    - developing creature-design
    - drawing from reference (the opponents fighter), but in a different perspective/pose (as it is a fight scene)
    - evolving a great idea how your fighter could defeat the opponents...depending on the "weapons" and features of the fighters

I think this would be fun, since the spectators will know the fighters after part1 and their imaginations will go wild...hopefully the artists imaginations even more ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great idea, Fozzy! This sounds exciting just from its description

...+1 exp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mcotie
    no offense Mr. Dixon, but talk like this has alot to do with why they want to kick our ass in the first place.
    Talk like what? Eatpoo want to kick our ass because we don't want to be confrontational, and don't see why both communities can't exist in peace..?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    Would be cool with some sort of classical art 'emulation', like nude white pearbelly girls, drapery, fit guys in frozen poses, tables with fruits, etc. Emulating that whole look. Bouguereau, Leighton, and well rendered stuff, see artrenewal stuff.

This might encourage ppl to take a closer look at classical art and what makes it look the way it does. 'OMG no outlines!'
    What he said, but with a post apocalyptic touch. Doing it "old mastah style" is a great idea, but i still want to see some concept art skills in thunderdome.

How about taking your favourite classical painting and turning it into something more... lethal?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think making it fine art based would alienate more than a few people.

Besides, it's conceptart.org...

The next tdome could be "You In the post-apocalyptic world"
    I like it. Don't make it mandatory to have a self-portrait, but you can do it if you want. BUt it must be you in the post apocalyptic world. WHere you'd think you would be and what you would be doing.

I like Fozzybar's idea a lot too. Brings back all that competitive spirit from the last CA that I loved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Matt

just trying to foster a good competitive atmoshpere, not solve world peace.

We got some really nice pieces out of the last CA vs. Eatpoo competition from both sides, I'd like to see it happen again.

mitch

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fair point, Mitch - I've seen some of that work, and I certainly can't argue with you there. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm up for a new T-dome, any kind of topic, but I want more organization...td7 was a little too big and loose to see everything.

here's an idea for a CA vs. EP thunderdome: what if everyone participating is a soldier in the CA or EP army and they are assigned a unit type (infantry, tank commander, medic, cleric, mage, artillery, robo-mech-assault-drone, etc) that will be their personification on the battlefield. You have to design it orthographic style as if you were giving it to a 3d modeller to build AND do an illustration of your battle avatar in action.

edit: and, um, the illustration could be in the style of a fine artist and has to bear a likeness to you (if we want to combine everyone's idea into one)

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smiley contest!!!

Prom would kick ass and take names.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bwkeough
    I'm up for a new T-dome, any kind of topic, but I want more organization...td7 was a little too big and loose to see everything.

here's an idea for a CA vs. EP thunderdome: what if everyone participating is a soldier in the CA or EP army and they are assigned a unit type (infantry, tank commander, medic, cleric, mage, artillery, robo-mech-assault-drone, etc) that will be their personification on the battlefield. You have to design it orthographic style as if you were giving it to a 3d modeller to build AND do an illustration of your battle avatar in action.

edit: and, um, the illustration could be in the style of a fine artist and has to bear a likeness to you (if we want to combine everyone's idea into one)
    that be really cool, sorta focusing on the main idea of concept art. However im not sure everyone is up for it. it be cool though.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry but did I just hear the words "fine art" and "conceptart.org" used in the same sentence? Is that even possible? No, that can't be according to the dictionary. Those words can't be used together. This is a trick, right?
    That has to be it or its the end of the world.

"You mean you don't make sound effects when you're painting?" -David Tillinghast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bwkeough wins. I definitely like that idea. Motley army of individualists battling it out. Lets kick Eatpoo's ass!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1