vonsar - Composition 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: vonsar - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy vonsar - Composition 1.1

I've tried to get into art many times. This usually doesn't get any further than doing a few hours of head studies before stopping for a few months. I'm hoping by following a course I can have a bit more direction in my learning. I've already completed a few paintings as I wanted to make sure I was going to stick to it. So here goes!

1 - Rembrandt (1 hour)

I really liked the detail on the face compared to the very plain clothes. It draws you in.

2 - Velasquez (1h 15mins)

The composition on this piece is really cool. I found myself looking from each hand to the face. These are really high contrast areas with dark backgrounds. It was a lot harder to copy than the Rembrandt, I struggled a lot with the cloak.

3 - Van Dyck (50 mins)

I wanted to try a study out and liked the guys expression. The sparsely drawn hair compared to the detailed face really draws you in, similar to the Rembrandt. This was my first time using a new tablet and I found it quite difficult, especially trying to emulate the hair. I find myself getting lost in the details.

4 - Van Dyck again (1h 40mins)

Found myself sampling my own work for colours a lot more and I think it really helped to make it look more consistent. I also started to use some other brushes and broke away from the solid circle brush which helped to give it a more natural feel. I made better use of the navigator too which helped me keep track of the whole piece.

I'm not sure whether I should be using a palette or not? I usually just wing the colours as best I can.

Any advice/critique is extremely welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never tried a landscape before. It was much harder than I'd expected. The terrain is so busy it's hard to know where to start. The picture doesn't even look mildly coherent without putting in the little details.

There is lots of repetition with the trees which I should have tried harder to put in. The mountains at the back are drawn with economy.

Name:  bierstadt1h.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  42.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 865 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hi and welcome vonsar; hope this work out for you!
    you're off to a good start at least. you go a bit dark in the darks, but not that bad. and the landscape is already better here. I notice some oddities in the shapes of the heads. like in the 4th in the 1st post (last) the tuft of hair is in the wrong place. that breaks the dome shape of the mans head, and makes everything look odd. I think that's just a question of keeping an eye out for the underlaying shapes though.
    hope to see more!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Thanked 11,290 Times in 2,825 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    excellent start on these. thanks for sharing. it is very important to really focus in on the mapping out of your shapes as accurately as you can possibly get them...both positive and negative shapes. If you put a shape in the wrong place and commit you end up having the other shapes off and require fixing, which increases painting time. By taking just a few extra minutes early on to measure out your shapes, to compare your shapes, and be sure they are placed and drawn accurately will make the rest of the painting process, working out your values and edges, much much easier.

You should flip the images horizontally and vertically so that you see the shapes with fresh eyes. This should be part of the process and if you are already doing that, keep doing it more. The professional artists will often flip images or use a mirror to see with fresh eyes as many as three or four times a minute as they are working when things really get flowing. You can also back away...actually get up and back away...and doing this works for shapes as well as checking values and edges.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. I finished another piece just now:

PIECE 6 - Degas (1h 30mins)

Name:  degas1h30mins.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  105.1 KB

I spent a lot longer trying to get the proportions right on this piece. Flipping the canvas certainly helped a lot. Would be nice to have rendered it a bit better but I found the medium very hard to replicate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at this point the main challenge to resolve is surface and texture...using a more chalky brush will help a lot with the atmosphere and mood matching that you want to keep an eye on. beautiful job with your shapes and edges otherwise...but don't go too smooth on paintings that are very textural like this.

keep it up.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey we did the same image on the same day! I swear I had this one slated to be my next one for a while now, wasn't just copying! (Do you realize you have it backwards here?)

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PIECE 7 - Cassatt

First picture is after an hour. The second is 1h 30mins. There were so many mistakes I felt as if I were fighting a losing battle trying to match everything up. I need to take a lot more time in the drawing phase.
    Name:  cassatt1hmins.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  cassatt1h30mins.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  92.3 KB

Here is another Cassatt. This time 50 minutes. I think I'm worse than when I started. :p

Name:  cassatt2-50mins.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  103.8 KB

Last edited by vonsar; March 22nd, 2014 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok great to see these. Three things...which I keep sharing tonight...and they are very basic.

a. slow down and be sure your shapes are roughed in and mapped out very very accurately. flip the images horizontally and vertically more if need be.
    b. do a pass toward the end where you double check and triple check all your values, starting with the largest shapes.
    c. make sure you are accurately rendering your edges...don't leave things too soft in areas.

You are getting 90 percent the way there on each of the above and the goal is to hit 100 percent on each. It takes some patience but if you develop these habits from the start you will find it easy by the end. Keep up the great work. It was also interesting to see how close you came on shapes in the first one...but values were a little off...but the second one you have more accurate values but the shapes are a little off. this shows me it won't be long til you have this worked out.

Jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A work in progress. I really like Repin. This is after 1 hour but I want to spend probably another on it. I tried hard to concentrate on your advice Jason! I can see the more obvious errors too like the door and the fireplace. I think I need to watch the intro video again, I'm finding it hard to pick things out about the artworks.

1h
    Name:  repin-1h.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  91.7 KB

1h 30mins
    Name:  repin-1h30.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  95.3 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by vonsar; April 3rd, 2014 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Repin, 55 mins this time. Now to go back and finish the previous one!

PIECE 10

Name:  repin55mins.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  61.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great job. Be sure that you are keeping a close eye on your edges. Note where the sharpest sharpest sharps and softest soft edges are and use them as guideposts/landmarks for the rests of the edges in the image. Edges are important to space, form, and focal areas, so getting those in there will help the piece a lot. Once you do, you will see quality improve a lot. Keep up the great work. -jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Bierstadt. I didn't notice how far up the mountain the seagulls seals went until about an hour into it. Great use of repetition.

PIECE 11 - Bierstadt (1h 30mins)

Name:  bierstadt1h30mins.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  51.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work. I think you are just a little bit dark on the bridge and biggest seal up there, but the rest is coming along super well. great study.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh dear.

PIECE 12 - Cassatt. 1h 30mins.

Name:  cassatt1h30mins.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  147.5 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 865 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you also got great taste! and I see great progress too. watch your sizes though; the head in the last is too low// a bit big. this messes up the overall look.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this most recent is a tough one as all those little shapes are so key to the composition. it would just need more time to get it to feeling completed. very nice start though. watch that hand...yours is a bit wide. keep up the great work.

jm

Members who have read this thread: 1