Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Study 12

This one is a painting from the romantic era, by Henry Fuseli.
    Depicting a nightmare it's both humorous and strange, without going too surrealistic to my taste.

It's got great emphasis with woman in bright lights and somewhat lower contrast emphasis secondarily on the small devil and then the horse with glowing eye. Or is the horse actually the secondary focus and the devil the third?

I think the woman's figure and pose also embody great rhythm.

Spent about an hour doing this one.

Name:  12_Comp_Fuseli_1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  166.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Study 13

Study of a portrait by Sargent. I really like many of his paintings by Sargent and how he has varied his style from very simple and rough to more polished paintings. So I'm going to do several studies of his paintings.

This one is one of the more rough ones. With the background and the jacket painted very economically and the face with more detail. Contrast in values is used to emphasize the face.

Name:  13_Comp_Sargent_1_small.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  110.5 KB

Thanks

Study 14

Another portrait by Sargent. This one is a lot more detailed and elegant when compared to the previous study.

The light skin and black hair with small black details like the eyebrow and eye bring emphasis with contrast. The dress is painted very economically.

Name:  14_Comp_Sargent_2_small.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  133.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,347 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Awesome!

Your most recent is beautifully done. The Frazetta will benefit from a little bit of a textured brush to capture the surface...but all in all you are getting the accuracy level I hoped for with my last comment to you. You are now totally on the right track. Keep it up!!

jm

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks again Jason! I'm in the process of doing the next study and for it expanded be brush selection in Painter. Let's see how it goes...

Thanks

Study 15 and 16

Two more Sargent studies.

I like the first one because it's extreme economy in brush strokes and overall very light tones. Emphasis is put on the focal point using very dark shadows. I tried Painter's real oil brushes for this one.

Name:  15_Comp_Sargent_3_small.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  130.4 KB

The second one is also very light in tone, but more elaborate. There's rhythm in shapes of the columns and emphasis with color contrast on the focal point. The shape of the robe and geometry of the floor and carpet have a lot of variety. With rhythm in the robes. I find this one really fascinating.

Name:  16_Comp_Sargent_4_small.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  147.3 KB

Thanks

Study 17

This one by Bouguereau. The painting has repetition with the V-shapes of the wings and rhythm in the billowing clouds. The focal point in surrounded by black which contrasts with the bright skin of the dead woman carried by the angels.

I spent way too much time with this one this sunday. Probably around 2-3 hours. Didn't really track the time.

Name:  17_Comp_ Bouguereau_1_small.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  108.5 KB

Thanks

Study 18

This next master study is of a Mucha painting. The thing that draw me to this painting was it's strong feeling of despair, desolation and loneliness. The old lady is alone in the night in the wilderness with the moonlight illuminating her. When you look closely you can spot the wolves on top of the mound on the left.

There's a strong focus on the lady with the strong light and details on her and on the snow around her. The wolves are emphasized much more subtly, with the light on top of the mound and shining eyes. The small dark shape behind the woman vanishing into the distance create a sense of continuity and hint on the long way she has walked in the wilderness.

Name:  18_Comp_ Mucha_1_small.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  95.9 KB

Thanks

Study 19

The next one is again a study of a Bouguereau painting. I love the flowing fabric and the soft light shape of the woman contrasting with it. This one has a lot of variety and I think rhythm and repetition in the fabric and the waves.

I just finished this, but decided to upload it right now to get it over with I should probably wait till tomorrow and fix some mistakes with fresh eyes...

Spent something like 2,5 - 3 hours with this one... but I wanted to do it right.

Name:  19_Comp_Bouguereau_2_small.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  121.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,347 Times in 2,871 Posts
    excellent work. these are really coming along. keep focused on edge accuracy, and the gradiations that happen as edges roll around forms and back into space. at this point the main issues to focus on are in the subtle things... your general block ins are fabulous.

jm

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Jason! One more to go with these.

Thanks

Cool Study 20

Yay! The last one!

This is a painting by Rembrant. I love the darkness of the portrait with the spectacular helmet! It's amazing in colors.
    Rembrant utilizes economy with the clothing of the soldier barely hinted on with minimal details. The emphasis is on the helmet and secondarily on the face. There's a lot of value contrast and detail on the helmet.

With this one I used several different brushes to try to recreate the amazing brush marks by Rembrant. Also many different paper textures are used in Painter. In general these studies have enabled me to expand my brush arsenal a lot.

Name:  20_Comp_Rembrant_1_small.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  162.6 KB

Thanks
    wow Tomas, and you are self taught? amazing talent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7