TomasBj - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TomasBj - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TomasBj - Composition 1.1

Hi,

I started painting on my free time fairly recently. Without any art education I decided that that I would try my hand with the workshops here and probably continue with the LevelUp! program.

So here's my first master study. Ivan Aivazovsky was a russian master who painted amazing landscapes and seascapes among other things.

With this one I noticed among other things repetition of the domed shape of the mosk in the shape of the light in the sky. Asymmetrical balance with the mosk and the ship on the left. Economy in the almost black shadows with only simple hints of the shapes there.
    Name:  Comp_Aivazovsky1_small.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  62.7 KB

Last edited by TomasBj; March 16th, 2014 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Study 2

The second study is of a Finnish master Albert Järnefelt. I selected it mainly because I'm a Finn

I didn't realize that I bit of more I could handle and the hour limited limited the quality of the study.
    I notice among other things the following:
    • He had excellent command of values. With the high values of the fire and the dark of the shadows I would have thought the painting wouldn't read well in gray scale. However each shape is surrounded so that it reads.For example the sky is light and so is the fire. They are separated by dark smoke. The dark figures are mainly surrounded by light fire and vice versa with the light figures.
    • You can find rhythm in the figures. From the front to back two figures, then one, then two, then one.
    • There's repetition with the v-angles of the two poles in the front and the poles of the two women in the back.
    • The black stumps and stones lead your gaze around the painting.
    • The face of the girl is emphasised with the lightest part of the fire surrounding it.

Name:  Comp_Jarnefelt2_small.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  118.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 3

I find the hour limit really challenges me. I have a tendency to noodle with the background I was interrupted several times with this one by my kids so didn't work optimally with this.

I hope I captured the essential with this Frazetta study. He's a favorite of mine so I'll be doing several studies with his work.

He uses economy extensively in this piece with lots of dark shadows and emphasizes the focus areas with strong highlights.

Name:  Comp_Frazetta_3_small.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  205.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 4

Again one from Aivazovsky. The color version of the painting is spectacular with the light glowing through the waves!

There's emphasis by value contrast on the shipwrecked sailors and the mast of the ship and their surroundings drawing the eye. Repetition used in the shape on the waves and continuation with the waves give a sense of movement.

Name:  4_Comp_Aivazovsky_2._small.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  114.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow nice start Thomas!

Now, youre clearly way better at this than me, but if I should comment on your studies Id say try paying a bit more attention to the lightest values. Yours seem just a tad darker than the originals. The same thing for the dark darks, but its not as pronounced.

Your shapes are quite good too, but doing a quick check before you start on values will probably help alot and make them much tighter.

Impressive work nonetheless

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Agerkvist View Post
    Wow nice start Thomas!

Now, youre clearly way better at this than me, but if I should comment on your studies Id say try paying a bit more attention to the lightest values. Yours seem just a tad darker than the originals. The same thing for the dark darks, but its not as pronounced.

Your shapes are quite good too, but doing a quick check before you start on values will probably help alot and make them much tighter.

Impressive work nonetheless
    Thanks a lot for the comment! You're absolutely right. I'll try to watch my values more carefully.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,000 Times in 2,566 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    agreed...you got my comment before I could make it so that is perfect...keep a very close eye on your values. these are a great start. keep up the good work. jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 5

Thanks Jason!

Again another one from Frazetta.

I love how the face that should be, and is, the center of the focal point is left in total darkness. The glowing eyes and detail around it and the light shining on the shield, the helmet and the shoulder plate draw attention to it. So there's emphasis. The painting otherwise is very economical. The ground is very simple. The birds add balance to the darker smoke on the left side of the painting.

Name:  5_Comp_Frazetta_2_small.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  205.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great job on your shapes...his upper body and axe and head seem a little large...so watch those negative shapes and double check scale. your values could be a little more accurate too...like the dark on the ground area for example or the crisp light behind his head.

very nice start though...a few tweaks and this one will be rock solid.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jason! Should I update the last picture with the corrections or just progress to the next study and try doing better with that one?

It's funny how you don't see your own erros, but when someone points them out their suddenly evident

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TomasBj View Post
    Thanks Jason! Should I update the last picture with the corrections or just progress to the next study and try doing better with that one?

It's funny how you don't see your own erros, but when someone points them out their suddenly evident
    If you have time, do both! Or just take the lessons learned from this study with you and use it on the next ones. Shapes can be pretty hard to rectify when you're this far - at least for me

To catch more mistakes try flipping the canvas horizontally or vertically frequently, if you aren't doing that already. It helps you see shapes instead of objects, faces etc. I have two hotkeys set up for it in photoshop, that way it's a cinch. Rotating the canvas 90 degrees can also help. Another thing that really helps me is zooming way out or stepping a bit back from the monitor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I do flip the canvas, but I'm using painter and when flipping the canvas it requires committing the text layers to image layers which is a slight pain, but not really problem. Zooming out a lot or standing back helps me also. I'm just trying to stick with the hour limit but maybe I shouldn't take it so literally and spend a few extra minutes for reviewing and finalizing the pics.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys! I'm really surprised how quickly you give feedback here. Especially Jason replies daily and this workshop is still free.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 5 updated

Here's study 5 with a few tweaks. I don't know if I nailed it yet but at least improved on the shapes and enhanced some darkest darks and brightest highlights

Name:  5_Comp_Frazetta_2_small.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  213.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    way better...now just a little adjustment on your sharp edges and this thing will start to really stand out. be wary of being too soft in your edges where crisp edges are required. great job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 6

Thanks again Jason! Trying to be mindful of the edges.. I don't know if I really deliver with this one yet..

So here's my next one. This was like a trap and I walked into it cluelessly !

The painting is by Carl Spitzweg. I liked it's humor and the lighting! However what I didn't consider beforehand was the number and complexity of the shapes. I had a though time drawing the line on how much detail I should incorporate into the study. I spent around 2 hours with this one, so double the recommended time. I know I could perfect the shapes further and especially the librarian. However I decided to call it quits and post it like it is I learned a lot doing this one, and decided to approach these more systemically in the future with layers and selections. I use Painter and transforming is not it's strong suite, blending however is

The painting has the beam of light emphasizing the focus. Also strong contrast there with the bright light shining on the books and the almost black dress of the librarian. The bookshelf contains a lot of variety and also rhythm with the books I think...

Name:  6_Comp_Spitzweg_1_small.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  279.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 7

This one is by Bierstadt. I love the lighting in his paintings.
    This one was fairly complex too with lots of detail and shapes with the cliffs and clouds. I think I managed this one in an hour though... Maybe a little bit over. My goal was to complete 10 of these in a week, but that might be a bit too big of a challenge.. . I guess one should complete all twenty of these before starting LevelUp?

The painting has rhythm and continuity with the cliffs vanishing into the distance.

Name:  7_Comp_Bierstadt_1_small.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  120.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 8

Next up again one from Spitzweg. I like the flow of the picture and the fantasy type theme was a surprise from a romantic era artist.

There's continuity with the smoke flowing from top to bottom and differentiating the very light to, from the darker bottom. The bottom and top halves of the picture balance the scene nicely. There's also a lot of variety in the painting.

Name:  8_Comp_Spitzweg_2_small.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  223.3 KB

Next up two Frazetta studies. Has anyone any suggestion for sci-fi paintings or painters that could be categorized as masters? I've never painted any sci-fi stuff so would be interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing a fabulous job with these! Beautiful shapes, even on really complicated pieces. Can you use texture brushes in painter? Probably not.. But they would really add something to your studies.
    I noticed that you're also missing out on some of the really dark shadows. In the last piece, the lack of extreme darks is greying out some of the lovely contrasts in spitzweg's piece. Some of the spots I notice are the bottom left corner by the dragon's tail, within the leaves of the trees, and in the upper right pillar.
    But otherwise, great job.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to n0ireclipse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by n0ireclipse View Post
    You're doing a fabulous job with these! Beautiful shapes, even on really complicated pieces. Can you use texture brushes in painter? Probably not.. But they would really add something to your studies.
    I noticed that you're also missing out on some of the really dark shadows. In the last piece, the lack of extreme darks is greying out some of the lovely contrasts in spitzweg's piece. Some of the spots I notice are the bottom left corner by the dragon's tail, within the leaves of the trees, and in the upper right pillar.
    But otherwise, great job.
    Thanks for the comment! I have a tendency to miss the darkest shadows. Now when I view this with my iPad I can see that. Maybe it's just being blind to my own mistakes, but I'm starting to think I should adjust my monitor a litle. I have to fix the pic tomorrow.

Painter has paper textures which do pretty much the same thing as texture brushes. You can change them at will and the next brush strokes will apply the texture. However there's differences on how rugged the texture will become with the different brushes. I mainly use soft oil pastels, bit mayde I shouls use harder brushes more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TomasBj View Post
    Next up again one from Spitzweg. I like the flow of the picture and the fantasy type theme was a surprise from a romantic era artist.

There's continuity with the smoke flowing from top to bottom and differentiating the very light to, from the darker bottom. The bottom and top halves of the picture balance the scene nicely. There's also a lot of variety in the painting.

Next up two Frazetta studies. Has anyone any suggestion for sci-fi paintings or painters that could be categorized as masters? I've never painted any sci-fi stuff so would be interesting.
    Updated version. With the shadows hope fully fixed.

Name:  8_Comp_Spitzweg_2_small.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  224.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work. This is the level these should be so you are on the right track. Keep working on your accuracy as you go.

Great work..really.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Excellent work. This is the level these should be so you are on the right track. Keep working on your accuracy as you go.

Great work..really.

jm
    Thanks Jason!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 9

Next Frazetta study. I tried to make my process faster. I would say this one took an hour. When converting to gray scale the background ended up very bright in the original painting. I had some doubts whether or not I found the real painting, but I guess I did...

The human shapes are difficult to nail exactly but I hope I did a good enough job.

In this one Frazettas really uses economy. The background is very simple and so is the mound Conan is standing on. Even the girl painted with very subdued colors and few strokes.

Name:  9_Comp_Frazetta_3_small.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  109.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 10

Again a Frazetta painting.

In this one I really like the colors and how the female figure stands out of the background. This one also utilizes economy in the black shadows and the forrest below. The moon and contrast put emphasis on the girl. The shape of the curving tee trunks have pleasing rhythm.

This one took 1,5 hours. I could have kept going and add more detail an texture. I'm not really sure how I should balance the time and detail in these. Now I went a bit over the hour, but could have easily spent an hour more in adding details... With the positive comments from Jason now I feel pressure to deliver

Name:  10_Comp_Frazetta_4_small.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  95.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great job. beautiful.

the most recent could use just a little more contrast, like on her hips...but outside that this is right on target. keep it up

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 11

Next up a sci-fi painting by John Berkey. This one was a challenge with the amount of details and geometry on the ship.
    I love how on one hand it contains great amount of detail and beautiful realistic rendering and also uses economy and really rough brush strokes with the planet and rear of the ship.

Uses emphasis with high contrast and level of detail on the ship. And economy especially behind the ship to give a sense of speed.

I know I didn't nail this exactly. However it took already a couple of hours to get to this point. Maybe it is on a level sufficient for these studies, maybe not.

Name:  11_Comp_Berkey_1_small.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  173.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 12

This one is a painting from the romantic era, by Henry Fuseli.
    Depicting a nightmare it's both humorous and strange, without going too surrealistic to my taste.

It's got great emphasis with woman in bright lights and somewhat lower contrast emphasis secondarily on the small devil and then the horse with glowing eye. Or is the horse actually the secondary focus and the devil the third?

I think the woman's figure and pose also embody great rhythm.

Spent about an hour doing this one.

Name:  12_Comp_Fuseli_1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  166.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 13

Study of a portrait by Sargent. I really like many of his paintings by Sargent and how he has varied his style from very simple and rough to more polished paintings. So I'm going to do several studies of his paintings.

This one is one of the more rough ones. With the background and the jacket painted very economically and the face with more detail. Contrast in values is used to emphasize the face.

Name:  13_Comp_Sargent_1_small.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  110.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Study 14

Another portrait by Sargent. This one is a lot more detailed and elegant when compared to the previous study.

The light skin and black hair with small black details like the eyebrow and eye bring emphasis with contrast. The dress is painted very economically.

Name:  14_Comp_Sargent_2_small.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  133.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome!

Your most recent is beautifully done. The Frazetta will benefit from a little bit of a textured brush to capture the surface...but all in all you are getting the accuracy level I hoped for with my last comment to you. You are now totally on the right track. Keep it up!!

jm

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 200