Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TomasBj - Composition 1.1

Thanks

TomasBj - Composition 1.1

Hi,

I started painting on my free time fairly recently. Without any art education I decided that that I would try my hand with the workshops here and probably continue with the LevelUp! program.

So here's my first master study. Ivan Aivazovsky was a russian master who painted amazing landscapes and seascapes among other things.

With this one I noticed among other things repetition of the domed shape of the mosk in the shape of the light in the sky. Asymmetrical balance with the mosk and the ship on the left. Economy in the almost black shadows with only simple hints of the shapes there.
    Name:  Comp_Aivazovsky1_small.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  62.7 KB
    Last edited by TomasBj; March 16th, 2014 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Smile Study 2

The second study is of a Finnish master Albert Järnefelt. I selected it mainly because I'm a Finn

I didn't realize that I bit of more I could handle and the hour limited limited the quality of the study.
    I notice among other things the following:
    • He had excellent command of values. With the high values of the fire and the dark of the shadows I would have thought the painting wouldn't read well in gray scale. However each shape is surrounded so that it reads.For example the sky is light and so is the fire. They are separated by dark smoke. The dark figures are mainly surrounded by light fire and vice versa with the light figures.
    • You can find rhythm in the figures. From the front to back two figures, then one, then two, then one.
    • There's repetition with the v-angles of the two poles in the front and the poles of the two women in the back.
    • The black stumps and stones lead your gaze around the painting.
    • The face of the girl is emphasised with the lightest part of the fire surrounding it.

Name:  Comp_Jarnefelt2_small.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  118.0 KB

Thanks

Study 3

I find the hour limit really challenges me. I have a tendency to noodle with the background I was interrupted several times with this one by my kids so didn't work optimally with this.

I hope I captured the essential with this Frazetta study. He's a favorite of mine so I'll be doing several studies with his work.

He uses economy extensively in this piece with lots of dark shadows and emphasizes the focus areas with strong highlights.

Name:  Comp_Frazetta_3_small.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  205.0 KB

Thanks

Study 4

Again one from Aivazovsky. The color version of the painting is spectacular with the light glowing through the waves!

There's emphasis by value contrast on the shipwrecked sailors and the mast of the ship and their surroundings drawing the eye. Repetition used in the shape on the waves and continuation with the waves give a sense of movement.

Name:  4_Comp_Aivazovsky_2._small.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  114.2 KB

Thanks
    Wow nice start Thomas!

Now, youre clearly way better at this than me, but if I should comment on your studies Id say try paying a bit more attention to the lightest values. Yours seem just a tad darker than the originals. The same thing for the dark darks, but its not as pronounced.

Your shapes are quite good too, but doing a quick check before you start on values will probably help alot and make them much tighter.

Impressive work nonetheless

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agerkvist View Post
    Wow nice start Thomas!

Now, youre clearly way better at this than me, but if I should comment on your studies Id say try paying a bit more attention to the lightest values. Yours seem just a tad darker than the originals. The same thing for the dark darks, but its not as pronounced.

Your shapes are quite good too, but doing a quick check before you start on values will probably help alot and make them much tighter.

Impressive work nonetheless
    Thanks a lot for the comment! You're absolutely right. I'll try to watch my values more carefully.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,357 Times in 2,878 Posts
    agreed...you got my comment before I could make it so that is perfect...keep a very close eye on your values. these are a great start. keep up the good work. jm

Thanks

Study 5

Thanks Jason!

Again another one from Frazetta.

I love how the face that should be, and is, the center of the focal point is left in total darkness. The glowing eyes and detail around it and the light shining on the shield, the helmet and the shoulder plate draw attention to it. So there's emphasis. The painting otherwise is very economical. The ground is very simple. The birds add balance to the darker smoke on the left side of the painting.

Name:  5_Comp_Frazetta_2_small.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  205.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,357 Times in 2,878 Posts
    great job on your shapes...his upper body and axe and head seem a little large...so watch those negative shapes and double check scale. your values could be a little more accurate too...like the dark on the ground area for example or the crisp light behind his head.

very nice start though...a few tweaks and this one will be rock solid.

j

Thanks
    Thanks Jason! Should I update the last picture with the corrections or just progress to the next study and try doing better with that one?

It's funny how you don't see your own erros, but when someone points them out their suddenly evident

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TomasBj View Post
    Thanks Jason! Should I update the last picture with the corrections or just progress to the next study and try doing better with that one?

It's funny how you don't see your own erros, but when someone points them out their suddenly evident
    If you have time, do both! Or just take the lessons learned from this study with you and use it on the next ones. Shapes can be pretty hard to rectify when you're this far - at least for me

To catch more mistakes try flipping the canvas horizontally or vertically frequently, if you aren't doing that already. It helps you see shapes instead of objects, faces etc. I have two hotkeys set up for it in photoshop, that way it's a cinch. Rotating the canvas 90 degrees can also help. Another thing that really helps me is zooming way out or stepping a bit back from the monitor.

Thanks
    Yeah I do flip the canvas, but I'm using painter and when flipping the canvas it requires committing the text layers to image layers which is a slight pain, but not really problem. Zooming out a lot or standing back helps me also. I'm just trying to stick with the hour limit but maybe I shouldn't take it so literally and spend a few extra minutes for reviewing and finalizing the pics.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys! I'm really surprised how quickly you give feedback here. Especially Jason replies daily and this workshop is still free.

Thanks

Study 5 updated

Here's study 5 with a few tweaks. I don't know if I nailed it yet but at least improved on the shapes and enhanced some darkest darks and brightest highlights

Name:  5_Comp_Frazetta_2_small.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  213.1 KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast