Triggerpigking Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Triggerpigking Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Triggerpigking Composition 1.1

Really enjoying level up so far, already learned alot from the vids.
    Gonna try and get 2 or 3 of these done a day.
    First one is by Zdislaw Beksinski.
    First time really trying to do a painted master study, also spent 30 extra minutes on this because I got to caught up in detail early on, also the proportions are quite messed up, I sorta panic a bit when i'm timing myself and I usually measure alot more methodically and slowly, with this I tried to quickly paint in and eyeball the proportions, gonna spend more time on them next piece.
    Also need to make sure I paint smaller next time, completely forgot to change the photoshop proportions.
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  60.9 KBName:  Thumbnail 01 Zdislaw bekinski, instrument.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  31.9 KBName:  bekinski notes.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  75.4 KB
    Anyway I chose this piece because I really like the economy and emphasis, it's got a pretty clear main emphasis point in the hands where the lines are alot more harder and detailed, and I like how the surrounding area like the shoulders sorta blend in slightly with the foggy background.
    Also think there seems to be a rythm in the piece going back down from the shoulders to arms to the instrument and back up to the main focus point again.

Also anyone know where to find some good textured brushes for photoshop?

Probbly gonna do a Frazetta piece next.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is one interesting painting! Just watch when mapping out the shapes, look at the width and size of the head compared to the width of the shoulders. Just looks like you need to shrink the head down and broaden the shoulers a bit. Great start, keep it up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's a good start... i can see values are within range.. try using a guideline or grid to start with. the grid makes things easier on digital.. when i sketch with pencils, i usually get shapes better than on digital, i think it's because of the smooth surface it makes u slip away a bit.

keep it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to maXmood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys
    Okay spent a good 5-10 minutes on this next one measuring out the shapes quickly, still had trouble measuring the figure though, but measurements wise I think this came out pretty well.
    I'm actually thinking about redoing this one, the values on the figure came out pretty wrong and I did'nt spend enough time on it for it to be clearly defined as the emphasis of the piece, which is a shame I think I captured the other aspects of the piece like the rhythm of the snake and rocks pretty well, I also think I relied to much on the soft brush and did'nt define the edges enough on some of the objects like the skull or leg.
    Name:  888.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  102.5 KB Name:  Thumbnail 2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  58.4 KB Name:  frazetta.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  84.9 KB
    Had a hard time pinpointing exactly what I like about this piece but I think for one the brushwork is brilliant, you've got this very quick rough brushwork on one side and jagged edges on one side, and then you have the curved rocks in the background on the otherside and the rough brushwork below that seems to be painted in a way that looks like it's pointing your eye back to the piece, Also think there's a great use of contrast to make the leg pop out and the high contrast on the cape catches your eye pretty quickly, Also I love the use of rhythm in the skeleton and snake.

Anyway, i'll think over if i'm gonna redo this later, I'm gonna search around online for some proper brushes later as well.
    edit:reuploaded the frazetta ref without the border so it's the proper size.

Last edited by triggerpigking; March 21st, 2014 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't tell how close your measuring is because the images are different sizes. You should attach them together in photoshop so they're identical sizes - that makes it a lot easier on you to see what's off for one thing.

Look though your existing brush palettes - there are some good texture brushes already in there. I found just about everything I need right in the default brushes palette, but there are several more palettes as well (probably a lot more if you use a more expensive photoshop like CS - I just have the el-cheapo Elements).

Here's where you access the rest of the brush palettes:

Name:  brushes.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  55.5 KB

It says Default Brushes there on my version, click it and you get this drop down menu. I find chalk, charcoal and pastel brushes fun to play with and very useful, there are also dry brush, oil pastels, and loads of other options. No need to go downloading brushes off the interwubs for quite a while yet. Oh, you'll notice pretty quick that the majority of them are silly bells-and-whistles filter stuff to make beginners feel like special effects wizards - stay away from those.

Also, I'd say right off the bat you need to put in a good deal more time on these. I spend the better part of the fist hour mostly just measuring things off.

Last edited by Darkstrider; March 16th, 2014 at 12:29 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,138 Times in 2,685 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok great to see where you are at. When you are first getting started it is very important to really focus in on the mapping out of your shapes as accurately as you can possibly get them. If you put a shape in the wrong place and commit you end up having the other shapes off and require fixing, which increases painting time. By taking just a few extra minutes early on to measure out your shapes, to compare your shapes, and be sure they are placed and drawn accurately will make the rest of the painting process, working out your values and edges, much much easier.

You should flip the images horizontally and vertically so that you see the shapes with fresh eyes. This should be part of the process and if you are already doing that, keep doing it more. The professional artists will often flip images or use a mirror to see with fresh eyes as many as three or four times a minute as they are working when things really get flowing. You can also back away...actually get up and back away...and doing this works for shapes as well as checking values and edges.

Keep up the good work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys!

Alright decided to redo the second piece, spent about 8 hours on it, give or take an hour.
    Think I got most of the shapes correct, there's some that are a bit off like the cape(did'nt notice that till near the end I was flippin the image alot but not zooming out enough).
    Also found a decent brush for some of the texturing but I probbly could have found a better one,
    I'm gonna have a look through all the photoshop default brushes tonight to see what I can find.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by triggerpigking; March 21st, 2014 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much improved! And in my opinion it is better to get it right than to do it quickly. the 8 hours you put into this study will only help you to get better and better! Speed comes with practice. Keep it up! I love this choice to study. Great composition!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Zehner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes speed will come with practice.

keep a close eye on imagining where legs are coming from under the costume...your leg is painted like its coming from more of the center of the hip, where frazetta's is clearly coming from his right hip.

remember...you are only really checking three things along the way.

a. shapes - and the mapping of your shapes...positive and negative
    b. values
    c. edges...the full range of sharp to soft.

give yourself checkpoints where you look for these overall...from general to specific.

keep up the great work.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No3!
    Actually found a textured brush for this one, which helped alot, Anyway I think I did a good job at getting the values correct but i've messed up the proportions and placements of stuff in alot of parts, i'm gonna really try to focus on that next time.
    Anyway decided on this piece because I like how the artist Painted the brush strokes and the values, that and I wanted to try see how I could find composition in a portrait piece.
    Name:  03.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  62.8 KBName:  ref.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  107.4 KBName:  Notes.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  153.1 KB
    Also I have to ask, whats the difference between continuity and rhythm? from what I got from the vid, rhythm is using the lines in the piece to guide the eye around it, usually back to the empasis point, it seemed to me like continuity was described as the same thing though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your improvement is staggering compared to your very first post!
    The values are pretty accurate on the latest one, I think a darker background and a little bit more texture would really be top notch.
    Awesome work!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to demeter_luna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, these are really cool. I especially like your latest one, it looks exactly like the painting.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mieksta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really good work. your most recent seems like it would benefit from the darks that are in the background of the original. watch your values even more closely. keep up the great work.

jm

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been to long since ive been able to update this.
    Anyway, no4 and no5. gonna try and get through these alot faster now, not rushing them but i'm aiming for one or two a week.

Anyway did'nt even finish no4, I made the massive mistake of getting to into rendering it to early and spent about 6-8 hours on it to the point where i've gotten sick of it, Gonna try another landscape sometime soon though.
    Name:  Composition 04.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  54.9 KB
    Name:  estes-park-colorado-1869 bierstadt.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  70.8 KB

No5 turned out alot better, few problems with the proportions on the face though. for this one I started by blocking in the background in negative space, really helped me work out the planning part of it.
    oh and as for the lines in my notes. the green ones are for the focus points, orange is for parts of rythm, purple for continuity,
    areas of variety are in yellow, and the light blue ones are for areas of repetition.
    Name:  Composition 05.jpg
Size:  87.2 KB
    Name:  Composition 05 ref.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  107.5 KB
    Name:  Composition 05 ref notes.jpg
Size:  150.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are so close to having really top notch stuff here. There is still some distortion happening with the faces for example, and that can be resolved with just taking a little more time to map it out accurately. same goes for checking your values. keep pushing...you are making good strides...I will keep pushing you to take those steps to the place you are seeing your very best work. all that you need to do is do a quality control pass..or two...at the end where you check your shapes, values and edges. if you check your shapes earlier in the process before rendering you wont render stuff that requires it getting moved later.

keep it up. positive progress.

jm

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are so close to having really top notch stuff here. There is still some distortion happening with the faces for example, and that can be resolved with just taking a little more time to map it out accurately. same goes for checking your values. keep pushing...you are making good strides...I will keep pushing you to take those steps to the place you are seeing your very best work. all that you need to do is do a quality control pass..or two...at the end where you check your shapes, values and edges. if you check your shapes earlier in the process before rendering you wont render stuff that requires it getting moved later.

keep it up. positive progress.

jm

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 18