Fincks - Color & Light 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Fincks - Color & Light 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More difficult than I expected. As usual, some wrong proportions/anatomy. It's actually the second one. The first was really bad. I looked up at other thread, learned some things and tried again.
    Name:  Self-Portrait2.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  70.5 KB

I'll make another one tomorrow, take more time to map out the shapes.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    couple things....

nice range of values on the portrait. good work there.

now, to move forward i would suggest putting values in the background that are closer to what you see, so that you capture the same feeling of atmosphere. also double check the placement of the eyes by looking to see where each eye is looking. they should both be looking at the same point of space. even draw a line out from the eye, imaginary line, with your finger and see if you can find the point that each eye is looking. getting the eyes placed well is super key and cam overcome a lot of other drawing or painting issues if you get that feeling right.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jason : Thanks for the critique.
    Well, this is definitly not me. It's beyond creepy. There really is no emotion in this painting, it's like he is frozen dead. Like you said, the eyes really are important in a portrait.
    They don't look in the same direction. I tried to place a line to where they were looking, but it didn't work.
    I took more time to map out the shapes, I think it's generally better. It does really help to have the real value in the background by the way !

Well, mmaybe another one tomorrow I guess. Some eye studies wouldn't hurt either.
    Name:  Self-Portrait3.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  73.6 KB

Last edited by Fincks; March 16th, 2014 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude this is a big improvement from the first. I agree with you, some eye studies will really help strengthen things. Great job, keep pushing forward!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bri in the sky : Thanks !

Here are 2/3 studies of eyes and the nose and that's all for tonight :
    Name:  Nose_study.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  80.8 KB

I will need to make studies with two eyes. I think that's what is challenging for me. Having the two of them look in the same direction, same size etc.
    I'll try a self portrait tomorrow again.

Last edited by Fincks; March 16th, 2014 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol you have that same terrified look on your face I have on my driver's license picture. It's because your eyes are open too wide - if you can see white above the iris it means the person is shocked or terrified. Most of the time people's upper lid covers the top part of the iris the way you did in the last studies (which are looking good by the way). Try looking up a channel on youtube called Proko and check out his head drawing tutorials if you haven't seen them already - extremely helpful.

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You must have one hell of a picture /lmao
    Now that you say it, in all the references I gathered today, the upper lid always covers the top of the iris. I really need to observe things more carefully !
    Oh, I've seen them a long time ago, the only thing I remember is that they were really good . Thanks for the channel :B.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest you paint some spheres with an overhead or 3/4 light setup, from life, so that you really pay attention to volumes. your light will directly correspond to the planes of the head, eye etc...which face the light source. as each plane shifts in space or turns in space, it will change values, gradually getting darker and darker as the planes turn away from the single light source.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ! I took a little break of 2 days but hopefully I'm back !
    Here is the sphere from life. Done with the soft brush to have a better transition between the mass shadow/light
    Name:  Sphere_study.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  33.6 KB

Tonight or tomorrow I'll apply what I've learn with the sphere study. Trying to render each "planes" of the head as I did with the sphere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'm gonna stop this exercise for now. I made another try but I'm stopped by anatomy issue which makes me really frustrated.
    Is there another way to complete this exercise without doing a self portrait (still life study etc) or is it really related to it ?
    I know that you can't improve if you don't practice but anatomy really is my biggest flaw and if this exercise really needs to be a self portrait, I think it would be better to focus on anatomy alone, without lighting first.

If it is, I'm just gonna continue Composition 1.1 and the other assignment in the Level up thread and get back to this one later.

Last edited by Fincks; March 21st, 2014 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We all get frustrated buddy it is just part of the process. Whilst anatomy studies are of huge importance, I think this assignment is more about observation. Sure if you understand what's going on underneath the surface of the skin it makes things easier but I don't think it's essential at this stage. Think of your face as a landscape, make measurements, think about where lines intersect, look at the angles etc Forget you are looking at you, then just try and build up the shapes and values as best you can. There was a moment when doing my own that I forgot I was even human. Observed my cheekbone for so long that everything became abstract and lost all meaning, and for a brief moment I was a raccoon snuggled up in a warm burrow somewhere...... But yeah, remember we are all here to learn and to help, perhaps you should take a break then come back and have another go.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you do your master studies, choose a handful at least, that are portraits. the sphere exercise is excellent...watch your edges on the cast shadow though as you seem a little sharp there. great form though on the ball itself.

art is supposed to be frustrating...it hurts sometimes, like falling off a bike before you learn to not fall off a bike. If it were easy, everyone would do it

You have talent..just keep at it and don't let frustration get in your way.

j

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Bri in the sky : That's what someone once told me. Trying to look at it in another way. But anatomy has become this huge impossible thing to surpass in my mind, so frustration comes a lot quicker than with other exercises. I'll take a break on this one and come back later, maybe at the end of the week. But this time I will be prepared and won't let my frustration stop me!

@Jason : Thanks ! Ok, I have one or two Sargent study in stock, they will fit perfectly.
    I tend to get frustrated very quickly, I guess I need to work on that too .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    frustration is part of the process...no pain no gain. put on some music and ignore that mood...that voice of frustration is distracting so tell it to %%%% off and keep pushing. You just have to work through it. when breakthroughs come they feel so good that any frustration is worth it.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jason : I'm starting to be more optimistic and confident that I can improve with the progress I've made in Composition 1.1. It's beginning to be easier to manage my frustration

So, I'm back on this exercise. I think I learn enough things in the Composition 1.1 to be able to improve in this one.
    I've spent almost 3h on this one, it's late so I think I'm done for tonight. As I was always watching the mirror, I never had the idea to flip...
    I can already see some mistakes, mainly the features area (especially the nostril which was already something I had a hard with time in the previous ones), but I think that if I pay enough attention at my mistakes in this one, I am confident that I can improve in the next ones I will post thanks to the masters studies I've done.
    Name:  Self-Portrait4.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  72.0 KB

Edit :
    Little correction of proportion.
    Name:  Self-Portrait4.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  77.6 KB

Last edited by Fincks; May 23rd, 2014 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my old art lead used to tell me 'no biggie smalls'...as in don't worry about the little things yet. The nostril is less of a concern than perhaps the shirt or making sure the overall head structure and shapes are as accurate as you can make them. What you will find is if you get all the big things looking good, the little ones come along really easily. I am happy to hear that you are building up confidence. that made my day. Just keep at it.

For your master studies please do a couple of rembrandt/sargent portraits so you can look for brush stroke size, shape, and direction on the face. If you can see they are using the same type of strokes (zorn is another one), then you can incorporate some of that into your stuff.

J

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple of months since I last tried, I thought I had improved enough thanks to the drawing 1.2 to give it another shot.
    Hm, it looks a lot more like me even if it's still not there. I don't have any fresh eye on this, spend the night on it. the features probably need more work, as the neck. I'll maybe try again in 2/3 weeks.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Fincks. First of all, you've improved tremendously. Your second portrait was much better than your first, and this latest is better than your second. I hope you feel really good about that. Progress is happening! The proportions feel much more believable and the forms look like they are placed within the face much better.

A few critiques:

-Right now both of your eyeballs appear to be rendered with identical values. Look again in the same lighting condition and blur your eyes a bit, so you aren't focusing on one over the other. Are they the same value? Or is one darker than the other?

-I'd explore softening around the irises a bit. In my Sam Nielson course he mentioned that the edges of the iris have a softer edge and the pupils have a harder.

-There is a dark mark on the right side of the face that makes it look like you have a lopsided mustache.

-I would observe the areas on either side of your mouth. The right side looks like it bulges out more than the left side. I think something needs to be tweaked in that area. . . either on the shadow side or the light side. . . it's hard to tell without looking at you for real.

Again, great work. You are getting better at capturing mood. Look forward to seeing more.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing and the shapes are improved nicely...as are your edges. Moving forward it will help you to be very very conscious about where the light source is coming from, and coupling that knowledge with the visual analysis where you decide which direction a given plane is facing in relation to that light source. If it faces the light source, let there be light. If it turns away from the light source, think about how the value should change...observe how the value actually changes. This will help your light to feel more directional and less spotty.

Really good stuff happening though. Just keep em coming!!!

JM

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theres a large improvement on your last portrait, I really like this one, dont forget to flip your canvas so you can see it from a different perspective then you can use the warp tool to realign features that are off(I dont think thats cheating is it?) , for your next one maybe use a stronger light source on one side of your head so you have more a dramatic value range

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimrrorkk For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 25