Thanks

Taking care of our eyesight

Hello guys, lets start the conversation on how to take care of your eyesight.I'll try to update the first post regularly.Please excuse my bad English

Name:  220px-Eye_iris.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  8.2 KB

USING A COMPUTER

Blink, Blink, Blink – The biggest problem for your eyes when using the computer, is the fact that a lot of people forget to blink while staring at the monitor. Sometimes a person will forget to blink for 15 minutes, which is impossible to do if you try it intentionally. Having dry eyes is very very bad, be sure to check them regularly, I personally do this every hour. I have heard from a person who used it, that there is a software that tracks your eyes and alarms you if you are not blinking. Unfortunately he doesn’t remember the name of the software and I couldn’t find it anywhere. If you find the program please tell us in the comments

Where should I place my monitor? - Don’t place your monitor in front or behind a window, because in both cases natural light will compete with the light from the screen. This makes watching, reading etc. very hard and it tires your eyes very quickly. It’s best if the windows are on your left or on your right.

Taking breaks – Every 45-60 min get up and take a 5-15 mins break! This does not mean to just turn your head from the monitor and stare at the walls. Your eyes need to rest, go in front of a window and look into the distance, at the sky. This relaxes the eyes a lot. If you feel very tired go to a very dark room for a couple of minutes, the absolute absence of light helps a lot !

Eat your vegetables! - Almost everybody loves junk food. The thing is that if you don’t include a lot of healthy foods in your diet, with time your vision will worsen for sure.
    There have been studies in non-developed countries, were people still grew their own vegetables and there was not a huge market place for refined foods. The studies showed that only 2 percent of the population wore glasses. After including refined/junk foods in those people's diets, the percent of people of with eye problems dramatically increased.
    So do your research, which foods are good for your eyes, which are you comfortable with eating etc.I personally prefer carrots.
    I’m not sure how many people will believe me, but I’ll tell you my story anyway. For decades a neighbor of mine and my grandmother wore glasses. Two years ago I noticed that they just stopped wearing them, which was strange because my grandmother is in her 80’s and my neighbor in his 70’s. When I asked them they told me that they still use glasses but only for reading. My neighbor told me that for 2 years he intentionally ate a lot of carrots. And my grandmother just got some vitamins with bilberry extract proscribed to her by an ophthalmologist. When I asked an ophthalmologist is it true that carrots can improve your vision, he replied that carrots can help your vision a lot because they have a huge dose of carotene in them. But if the person has a serious condition, foods will not help his recovering.
    As far as I know the only side effect of eating a huge amount of carrots is that your skin may get more orange as a result. But there may be more side effects so be sure to do your research.

Smoking – Smoking contributes a lot for worsening your vision. There are numerous articles on the subject. So if you are interested do your research on the topic.

Stress –Stress happens to be one of the major factors for bad eyesight .Try focusing on relaxation as much as you can.

Dehydration – Not consuming enough water/ being dehydrated is also one of the most common reasons for developing eye problems. Also try not to eat a lot of salty foods. For me personally I try to drink at least 1,5 liters for the next 3-4 hours after I get up.
    Last edited by Mariyan-Hristov; June 19th, 2014 at 05:42 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariyan-Hristov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lol well I don't know if it will make my eye sight see further from the distance. I will do something like this if I can make my eyes see in night vision. Hey it rhymes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    The Bates Method has never been scientifically proven to improve vision. It reeks of alternative medicine pseudo-science quackery. Just look at the website linked to in the video's description: Vision Without Glasses - How to Improve Your Vision Naturally Myopia and hyperopia are caused by the shape of the eye, not tense muscles.

I'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, but I've been seeing a few people spread this video around, and it really freaks me out to think that some people might actually stop wearing their glasses or going to the eye doctor because they believe this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The Bates method is an alternative therapy aimed at improving eyesight. Eye-care physician William Horatio Bates, M.D., (1860–1931) attributed nearly all sight problems to habitual strain of the eyes, and felt that glasses were harmful and never necessary. Bates self-published a book as well as a magazine (and earlier collaborated with Bernarr MacFadden on a correspondence course) detailing his approach to helping people relax such "strain", and thus, he claimed, improve their sight. His techniques centered on visualization and movement. He placed particular emphasis on imagining black letters and marks, and the movement of such. He also felt that exposing the eyes to sunlight would help alleviate the "strain".[1]

The famed British writer Aldous Huxley, whose corneas had been scarred from the age of sixteen, learned the Bates method from Bates student Margaret Darst Corbett beginning in 1939, and in 1942 wrote his own book about the method. He reported that his eyesight had improved significantly, but admitted that it remained far from normal. Whether his vision had truly improved was frequently questioned.[2]

Despite continued anecdotal reports of successful results, Bates' techniques have not been objectively shown to improve eyesight,[3] and his main physiological proposition – that the eyeball changes shape to maintain focus – has consistently been contradicted by observation.[4] In 1952, optometry professor Elwin Marg wrote of Bates, "Most of his claims and almost all of his theories have been considered false by practically all visual scientists."[5] Marg concluded that the Bates method owed its popularity largely to "flashes of clear vision" experienced by many who followed it.[2] Such occurrences have since been determined to most likely be a contact lens-like effect of moisture on the eye.[6]

The Bates method has been criticized not only because it is ineffective, but because it can have negative consequences on those who attempt to follow it: they might damage their eyes through overexposure of their eyes to sunlight, put themselves and others at risk by not wearing their corrective lenses while driving, or neglect conventional eye care, possibly allowing serious conditions to develop.[5][7]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The idea of the thread is to share information about how to take care, not improve our eyesight.This is why I didn't posted links about any methods, I posted exercises which personally help me when spend the whole day working on the computer. I was surprised that I didn't find any threads in CA about choosing a monitor or about how people take care of their eyes.So it seemed a good idea to start this conversation which we all can benefit from.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariyan-Hristov View Post
    The idea of the thread is to share information about how to take care, not improve our eyesight.
    There's no evidence that the "techniques" in the video you posted "take care of"(whatever that means) your eye sight either.

This pseudo-medicine crap isn't worth sharing, that's the point.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    There's no evidence that the "techniques" in the video you posted "take care of"(whatever that means) your eye sight either.

This pseudo-medicine crap isn't worth sharing, that's the point.
    I don't want to start arguing or whatever.I had the best intentions when starting this thread.But actually there is evidence that if your job is spending a lot of time looking only in one particular point, that your eye muscles start to weaken and you start developing problems with focusing.Since a lot of people here spend thousands of hours in front of the monitor I decided its worth sharing. I heard about eye stretching from a tattooist workshop, no any organization which want's me to buy their books.

In this workshop one of the speakers talked about how his doctor told him to do do eye stretching because he worked only from a particular distance and that started to ruin his vision.So I had no idea what eye stretching is and found this video which helps me a lot.Anyway I apologize I'll remove it but I really hope we can continue the conversation about how to take care of our eyes.

Thanks
    Of course you have the best intentions; no one is questioning that. Eye strain is something people who work with computers for long periods at a time should be aware of and train themselves to avoid. The video in question and the website it's advertising, however, is claiming that these stretches can cure genetic eyesight problems like nearsightedness, farsightedness, even glaucoma, and that the entire optometry practice is selling lies (how ironic). That's a dangerous claim to promote. And no, not everyone spreading this information is making money off it - you, for example, are just a well-meaning person trying to help other people by passing along information. The person from the tattooist workshop you attended was probably just doing the same. We're all just trying to help each other, and it can be really hard to tell what information is reliable and what isn't. Of course that's something everyone has to figure out for themselves.

As for eye strain, I've also heard that it can ruin your eyesight. But now that I'm looking into it, it sounds like the symptoms are temporary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_vision_syndrome
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asthenopia

Thanks
    Just happened to see some things about this and came across this thread.. here's another guy working with the idea of exercising the eyes to improve vision: http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-we...eyes-naturally

Found this quite interesting and not as dodgy sounding as the other site you mentioned..obviously you don't want to throw out your glasses yet but the idea of strengthening your sight with exercise doesn't seem completely crazy, your eyes have muscles and we train our other muscles with positive effects.

And for some anecdotal stuff from my side: I've been surfing for almost 20 years now and spent waaay too much time staring at the sun. I have only for 2 short periods of time worn sunglasses in the 20 years. So my eyes should really be fried yet I can handle glare better than the people wearing sunglasses. When I tried to use sunglasses my eyes very quickly stopped handling the glare without them so I stopped using them. So it could be case specific, but it shows how for me wearing sunglasses, which is highly recommended as it helps you, doesnt actually help in the long term.
    I also at a younger age started having problems with eye strain from pc use. I was told to get reading glasses to help for that. Both my parents and my sister had reading glasses too so it seemed natural, my family had eye issues. However it happen to be at a time when I was going to travel overseas. I ended up spending 3 years in the sun in the carribean without any glasses. When I returned from it and once again found myself in front of a pc the eye strain was gone and has yet to return. My family on the other hand are getting stronger glasses every few years. Again could be case specific

A very easy way to help your eyes with strain etc. from staring at screen, is to simply look away and focus on something in the distance for a short while. Or try to shift your focus from far to near slowly. The strain on our eyes comes from the muscles not getting "exercised" as we are focusing at one depth for very long. Looking away helps engage the other muscles more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    All the other pseudo science stuff aside,

Quote Originally Posted by kidult View Post
    the idea of strengthening your sight with exercise doesn't seem completely crazy, your eyes have muscles and we train our other muscles with positive effects.
    This.

I have to do lots of eye exercises every morning just to be able to use them at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kidult View Post
    your eyes have muscles and we train our other muscles with positive effects.
    True, but different muscles are in charge of different operations. From what I understand, the muscles that are in charge of moving your eye in the socket have nothing to do with the muscle that changes the shape of the lens (which allows you to focus on different points in space).

The muscles that move your eye are the extraocular muscles, which are on the outside of the eye, shown here:

Name:  400px-Lateral_orbit_nerves.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  18.3 KB

The muscle that controls the lens is the ciliary muscle, which circles the lens, seen here:

Name:  Ciliary-Muscle-2058_l_6be331136c0d7f56.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  64.3 KB Name:  Gray873.png
Views: 728
Size:  34.3 KB

Thanks
    Yes for sure, the looking away part isnt the training but the trying to focus at different depths so those guys kick in. When staring at a screen you are focused at a fairly similar depth for a long period hence the strain. And again this isnt going to magically cure your blindness but it can help you if you are staring at a screen for too long.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    I worked in computers for about 15 years, and my hobbies were all computer-based as well at that time. Some days I spent nearly 16 hours on the computer. I also read for hours as well. When I went to get an eye check up after a number of years, I found that my eyesight had not deteriorated in any way.

If deterioration of muscles is supposed to be a problem, well, I also sat in a chair for hours every day and I did not lose the ability to walk. I used to bicycle in to work and that was sufficient to keep my leg muscles working well, and I don't see why this would not be sufficient for eye muscles as well. It's doubtful that any artist who sketches or paints from life or just gets up from the computer several times a day would have any issues with eye muscles.

Not to say that there aren't people who need to exercise their muscles more, or in different ways, because normal usage is not sufficient or they overuse one set of muscles and underuse another. But for most people, normal usage is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by kidult
    So it could be case specific, but it shows how for me wearing sunglasses, which is highly recommended as it helps you, doesnt actually help in the long term.
    It's not the glare, it's the UV radiation. You're supposed to wear sunglasses that block out UV radiation. If you have normal sunglasses that don't block out anything then you're probably better off without, since your pupils will contract in bright light and let less light in.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    True, but different muscles are in charge of different operations. From what I understand, the muscles that are in charge of moving your eye in the socket have nothing to do with the muscle that changes the shape of the lens (which allows you to focus on different points in space).
    Actually I found why the exercise which I previously posted helped me.
    I have something which is called Diplopia.And the problems occur because of the extraocular muscles.The extraocular muscles are the ones which you uploaded an illustration of.
    Name:  400px-Lateral_orbit_nerves.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  18.3 KB

For more info :

Diplopia, commonly known as double vision, is the simultaneous perception of two images of a single object that may be displaced horizontally, vertically, or diagonally (i.e., both vertically and horizontally) in relation to each other.[1] It is usually the result of impaired function of the extraocular muscles (EOMs), where both eyes are still functional but they cannot converge to target the desired object. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplopia)

Name:  Diplopia.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  43.7 KB

Treatment

The appropriate treatment for binocular diplopia will depend upon the cause of the condition producing the symptoms. Efforts must first be made to identify and treat the underlying cause of the problem. Treatment options include eye exercises,[1] wearing an eye patch on alternative eyes,[1] prism correction,[8] and in more extreme situations, surgery[4] or botulinum toxin.[9]

Here is another video which may be helpful :

I will edit my first post and make a list of useful tip's and recourses, when we collect more info in this thread.
    Last edited by Mariyan-Hristov; March 24th, 2014 at 03:10 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mariyan-Hristov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the first post was updated with new information