MeteorBear - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: MeteorBear - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MeteorBear - Composition 1.1

Hi, I am excited to learn how to paint. I do have some art training but not much painting experience.

I liked looking at this piece so I used it, original painting by Russian painter Aivazovskiy. The eye is led around the painting with the emphasis on the center ship. One interesting thing I noticed was how all the places the eye would stray were within the central, lighter valued area.

1:20 mins. I struggled with the proportions and values and felt I finally was getting them down when I ran out of time.
    Name:  Untitled-4.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  73.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!

I think you did a very well job with the values and proportions of the picture. If you're using Photoshop, or any other program that lets you choose from various brushes, I would recommend using a much softer brush to make the values blend into each other! It's very helpful for backgrounds and smooth surfaces - but one should also remember to use the hard brush for hard edges, if not the image will become blurry. A texture brush is very useful as well if you're going to do studies of textured paintings. Here's a nice site I found http://ctrlpaint.com/dp101-2/ and there's probably a lot on it in the forums.

Good luck with your studies, keep on it!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    one of the main issues is you are using the same hard edged brush in areas that require a soft edge brush in order to capture smooth value transitions. use sharp edged brushes only where there are sharp edges. this will help you get closer to the values and get you more accurate with the shapes as well. you can also try saving the sharp edges for last...so that you really focus on getting your big values locked down and accurately painted before going in and sharpening things up.

keep it up.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Limsk, Thanks for the link!

Jason, Thanks! Hopefully saving the hard edges for last will help.

I did this one a couple days ago but seemed to have forgetten to post it. I struggled with the whole process on this one and kept switching between proportion corrections and blending. Next time I think I will try sketching the image first before blocking in the values.

2 hrs. This painting is by Velazquez and I chose it because I like how striking the image is. One thing I noticed was his use of contrast to highlight the face. His cloths and the background are very close in value. I started out using a hard brush and planned to blend everything towards the end with a soft brush but this was very time consuming, the next image I will try the opposite approach.

Name:  valequez.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  118.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    from the lower lip to bottom of chin is a little longer in yours. also double check your values and edge transitions...the original has a bit more of a subtle but more full value range between light and shadow and there are nice gradations between values.

nice start.

keep it up.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 19