Sketchbook: ...just another Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ...just another Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

...just another Sketchbook

Welcome to my new sketchbook. I used to have one on this site years ago, but I lost track and eventually abandoned it. But I didn't stop reading the forum since this community was always a great source of inspiration for me.

Just a few bits about myself before I'll start: I'm a guy from Austria and I'm mainly self-taught in art (though I attend life drawing classes). I'm a big fan of classical Illustration and Paintings with a comical or dreamy impact. Especially Heinrich Kley, T.S. Sullivant, Harry Rountree, Arthur Rackham, Carl Spitzweg or Gustav Tenggren come to mind, but I will stop the namedropping here Another great inspiration of mine is animation - just designwise, I've never learned to animate.

In the next posts I'll show you a few of my previous sketches and paintings. Don't hesitate to leave a comment/critique or just say Hi.

Name:  logo.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  95.5 KB

Last edited by StephanDraws; March 17th, 2014 at 02:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Characters

Those are a few of the characters I've drawn during the last 12 months. I still struggle to find the 'right' style... I love lines and flat colors as much as I love to work with values (I need more practice in both categories, especially shading and color). The last figure is sketched in a local museum for military history and finished digitally at home. The rest is drawn from imagination (with photo references for costumes etc. of course -> Osprey books are a nice source).

Name:  druid+Kopie.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  warrior+Kopie.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  hunter+Kopie.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  Don+Quijote.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  206.9 KB

Name:  reineke+fox.jpg
Size:  335.8 KB

Name:  guard.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  100.3 KB

Last edited by StephanDraws; March 13th, 2014 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Environments and Scenes

Done during the last 2 years... The mill on the green hill is a recent painting and not finished yet. But I decited to show it anyway since I don't know when I got the time to continue on it. You probably noticed that I like medieval fantasy settings quite a bit. I often got Gustav Teggrens work in mind when I do landscapes or buildings. I really admire his style, especially what he did for Pinoccio. Another great source of inspiration is the artwork from 1990s Adventure or RPG games (Lands of Lore, all Lucas Arts and Sierra stuff etc.)

Name:  medieval+town+concept.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  344.6 KB

Name:  m%u0025C3%u0025BChle+wip1.jpg
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  dark-side-street.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  160.9 KB

Name:  calm+nature+scene.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  224.7 KB

Name:  the+journey+1.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  294.7 KB

Name:  the+glade.jpg
Size:  371.9 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StephanDraws For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies, Sketches etc.

A few simple sketches... the master-study at the bottom is after Rubens 'Two Satyrs'. The first two paintings are newer, the rest is about 1 year old.

Name:  Studies+from+the+masters.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  286.4 KB

Name:  fables+-+cats.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  277.6 KB

Name:  doll+face.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  something+silly+2.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  136.4 KB

Name:  two+satyrs_final.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  270.9 KB

Name:  plane.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  219.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure Sketches

Gesture studies, quick portrait sketches etc... Some are recent, but the portrait is about 3 years old.

I do lots of gestures every week, mostly from photos or master paintings. Sometimes I do my gestures from imagination, but I still find it quite difficult. I will post more of them and some anatomical studies as soon as I start to show my daily stuff here.

Name:  portrait_003.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  144.7 KB

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  116.1 KB

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  157.8 KB

Name:  06.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  08.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  feet_studies_03.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  397.6 KB

Name:  feet_studies_01.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  419.5 KB

Last edited by StephanDraws; March 13th, 2014 at 06:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow. beautiful stuff man, you obviously know what you are doing. love the style of the paintings up top. looking forward to checking back in soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    High quality work here! I especially like the female figures in #5. Did you have a model, or are they from imagination?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fatman274: Thanks man... same to you, great Sketchbook!

Sixten: Thank you! I don't remember it exactly since I draw lots of gestures and those in post #5 are a bit older. I usually use photo-references or paintings from the masters. I sometimes draw gestures from imagination, but I still suck. I will post a few soon, you'll see what I mean

Last edited by StephanDraws; March 15th, 2014 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gosh so good! ahahdhdwe damn keep posting man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, thank you for dropping a visit to my sb! I must say I really like your style And the enviros are gorgeous, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buxu & Minella: Thank you guys!

Let's start with the updates... Today's toppic was: crumpled paper, frustration and a few gesture drawings in the morning.

Name:  13.03.2014.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  331.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook is wonderfull, I love your lines. Fantastic gestures, portrait and environment. Your study on rubbens is amazing. I am filled with wonder !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, love love love your sketchbook. Your gestures are gorgeous, and like everyone else said - you seem to know what you're doing! Cannot wait to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic figure work. I like the sense of movement and structure you capture. If you want an extra challenge, try drawing a ground plane in those gesture drawings to give you figures a stronger relation to a 3d space.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    féfé73: Thank you, Féfé!

Lydiamay: Thank you! Just visited your Sketchbook too, beautiful works there! Love your expressive characters.

fantasyartist: Thanks for the feedback! It's a nice idea, I'll try that out today! Might be a bit complicated since figures are often showed from a slightly different angle. Maybe I'll give each gesture an individual socket, like a statue or toy figure.

Last edited by StephanDraws; March 15th, 2014 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's update is a collage from a few quick hand/feet-studies... drawn from photo-reference.

Name:  14.03.2014.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  328.1 KB

Last edited by StephanDraws; March 27th, 2014 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my SB!

What can I say, your stuff is amazing! I love the character drawings from the first post, specially the druid. That style reminds me a little of Ivan Bilibin with the flat muted colors. And your studies, man... those are too good!

Shoulder to the wheel, my friend!
    My sketchbook - Harsh critique always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful sketches! I especially love the anatomy, there's a very good dynamic feeling in them while keeping in mind proportions and form. Also the designs are very creative and original. I wish I could give constructive critique, but I can't think of anything except wishing to see process pictures (so we can learn from you).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great abilities at drawing+rendering, study looks fantastic... The only thing that pops in my head as something I am not looking at with "awe" is the colors.The study of rubens has alot of that too though, but maybe being more selective in the personal work when choosing tones/pairings/atmosphere would take this great work of yours to the next level.. Keep it up, as many have said, you seem to know what you are doing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff! Your linework in your cleanups could vary a little more, otherwise I love 'm. Impressive to see what you can do in only 90seconds: I am a lot slower. Just a loose suggestion: if you love Tenggren, you will also appreciate the Dutch Anton Pieck!

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dina2342 Thanks so much, Dina. I really admire Ivan Bilibins works!

- nat - Thank you! Thats a good idea, I will upload the process for my next digital paintings. But it's trial and error mostly, especially the shading.

Lakka Thanks for the feedback, Lakka. You're right, color is sort of a weakness of mine. I got Gurneys book in my shelf since a year... I really should start reading it, I've heard that it helped many people around here. Any other tipps?

eezacque@xs4all.nl Hey, thanks for the feedback! Your're right about the lines in my cleanups, I should put more expression into it. I will remember it when I'm inking next time... maybe with a different brush (without other dynamics and opacity). Anton Pieck is really great, I found some of his illustrations at Hans Bachers blog. The amount of details he puts into his work is pretty impressive.

Last edited by StephanDraws; March 16th, 2014 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, I don't really have any tips, as you are well above my level when it comes to these things... that is pretty much the only constructive thing I could come up with.. (and I am a bit color blind, so a grain of salt with that one also.. :o)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the kind feedback on my sketchbook. It's very much appreciated. You have some lovely stuff here. I can absolutely see your animation-inspired background. You have a lovely rather dreamy style. Keep it up. Your gestures are looking really nice. Maybe have a go at doing doing them in 30 seconds to really push it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lakka Sorry to hear about your color blindness, Lakka. And don't worry, your suggestion was helpful anyway

Gritto Thank you! 30 seconds is an interesting idea and surely quite a challenge. It took me a while to go down from 3 minutes to 90 seconds... But why not, maybe I should try it.

I decided to study anatomy AGAIN... because somehow I can't do it continuously: I work on it and then leave it alone for half a year. Anyway. I made 3 diagrams about the male human figure: front-, side- and backview. I tried to contrast the two popular measurements and found out that they don't fit into each other exactly. It's a bit abstract and not 100% correct, but I think it's a nice way to understand the basic 'layout' of the body and the logic behind the landmarks.

I did it on a very large format and had to scan it with an A4-scanner. So the quality is not the best. I also wrote it down in german at first. The translation of the anatomical terms probably sucks. If you can help me with that, please don't hesitate to give me suggestions.

And also a word about those measurements: the 8-heads are probably standard and very well known. I first found out about the hand-based proportions at Vilppu and was convinced very quick. For the following studies I used 'Die Gestalt des Menschen' by Gottfired Bammes and 'Artistic Anatomy' by Dr. Paul Richter. I also took a look at 'Lessons from Michelangelo', but mostly the other two books.

Name:  figure 1.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  1,019.4 KB
    Name:  figure 2.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  1,009.3 KB
    Name:  figure 3.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  990.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya! I'm not sure if you know about the Spartan Camp, but this week's special study is skeletons and your last post fits the theme

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook! Everything has a lot of individuality and character. : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool studies, im amazed by your figure drawing studies and by how fast you are with those hands and feets, its amazing, good luck with proportions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, beautiful gestures and anatomy studies. I have to agree with what Lakka said a while ago in that your colours are not quite up to par with your drawing abilities. James Gurney's Color and Light is a great resource but I also found this tutorial to be very helpful in explaining how colours change in various lighting situations. Maybe you can find it somewhere. You could also look into the principles of colour/hue variation and colour circulation to boost your colours a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well dang! Everyone has hit the flaws/what could be worked on that I see right now.
    Oh wait I think I found something, about your colors theyre really wonderful and a nice mix. What might be the problem is your range of values. In all of your pieces it seems you don't go that dark for your actual "darkest" I commented on Purb36's thread about this very thing earlier. The most juiciest creamy part is in the buttcrack of colorpicker in the 90-95% range of darks. You should try pulling more from that crevice into your paintings. Other than that I don't see anything that sticks out to me that hasn't already been said.

Thanks for doing the skeleton chart proportion. I do need to study proportion and this is awesome!
    Good stuff here otherwise * ___ *...sooo just keep going?
    Haha I'm sure you'll do that even without me saying so

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - nat - Awesome, thanks for the tip! I think I will join in... can anyone participate or do I have to be invided?

Mariyan-Hristov & Buxu Thank you guys!!

jondawo Hey, thanks for the feedback. The root of the problem might be that I was drawing most of the time when I started with art and then jumped right into invention. Maybe I should mix in some still-lifes or photo studies to learn more about color... I pretty much missed that in the past. And thanks for the tip with the tutorial. This week is not so busy, so I'm really looking forward to check out some books/videos/tutorials about color.

Pou Thank you, Pou. Yeah, you're right, the range of tones is not so heavy in my works. I used to work with a monochrome underpainting for a while, but layer modes don't bring bright colors into the picture (at least with CS3). So I ended up painting everything again on a top layer. I think I will sacrifice the rest of this week to color studies (and anatomy). If you know any good tutorials/books/videos about color, please let me know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 138