Sketchbook: Murat's Public Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Murat's Public Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Murat's Public Sketchbook

Hi everyone! This is my first post, and I'd like to introduce myself. Please feel free to skip this post (no images here.) I'll be uploading my sketches starting with the next post.

Intro: My name is Murat. I'm a programmer living in Bellevue, WA since 2004. I'm 37 so I'm probably one of the older members here (kids, no need to get off my lawn!)

I always liked drawing things, but I always thought I had no talent, so didn't do much of it. I still believe I do not currently have any talent, but that's sort of why I'm here.

As a kid, I used to draw cartoons and comic book characters (such as Spider Man, and Batman were my favorites.) I sucked at them, so I kinda gave up. Later in my teens, I got involved with Amiga demo scene, mainly coding, but also doing logos etc. with Deluxe Paint 2. Typical image was 320*256 pixels with very limited palette. (OK, now I feel old!)

Last summer I came across ConceptArt forums, and I was inspired by folks helping each other here. I decided to give art another shot, and got myself a Wacom Bamboo medium. I did very little last year, but I'm picking up speed somewhat since January.

I do not any intentions to become a professional artist, but I'd like to improve myself as I really enjoy drawing, so this is a welcome change from my other hobby (and coincidentally, my occupation) programming.

I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post, but I plan to draw/study everyday, even if just 15 minutes. For now, I plan to do only digital stuff. I'm hoping to see that I improve at least a little, and see some progression as I go.

I'd be delighted to get any feedback on my attempts at drawing and painting! Other suggestions, critiques, paint-overs etc. are all welcome.

Thanks if you read it all!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a short random selection of my sketches from July 2013 to Jan 2014. They are mainly from imagination, but there's a couple from ref as well. Not in any particular order. I used Photoshop 11 Elements, that came with Bamboo for most part, but I experimented with other tools as well, including Krita.

Name:  2013_Summary.png
Views: 22
Size:  593.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of my sketches (from imagination and references) from Jan 2014 until yesterday. No particular order. All are done in Krita.

Name:  2014_Jan-March.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  189.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some environmental value/color work, from imagination. Looks off, I'll probably need to study from some refs. I'm resizing these to fit reasonably on a forum post.

Name:  2014_March_9_sketch.png
Views: 20
Size:  490.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - A few 30 secs/1 mins clearly show that I'm quite slow at this point. Which means I need to do more.
    - Found a beginners challenge: LVL-UP. They are at Week 5 or so, but I plan to still follow from the start. A lame attempt at self portrait (which is challenge #1) I haven't posted there yet, because I want to do one more sketch before trying to paint.

Name:  2014_March_13_VARious.png
Views: 9
Size:  337.5 KB

Members who have read this thread: 6