Fincks - Composition 1.1 - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fincks - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, excellent job Fincks!! I agree, you should spend some time playing around with texture brushes - find one or two you like and just mess around with them on a new layer so you can always modify or delete it. Try it over one of your finished studies, so it doesn't count against your time (I stopped keeping track of time altogether - I work better when I don't have a ticking countdown and sense of intense urgency in my head). Remember it's not about how fast you do this - it's about how well you're learning to do it. As Dave Sim says, first you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast. You can't bypass the steps. Texture is the missing element in your work - it's amazing how everyone's work improves when they start adding texture. Stuff goes from all looking like smooth plastic to having an organic surface.
    Keep up the great work!

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,289 Times in 2,824 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work. a little bit of a textured brush rather than the airbrush will help in capturing some of the surface and various edge qualities. once you get them to this stage introducing textured brushes and capturing some of that surface is key.

keep it up.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Darkstrider : Thanks a lot ! I'm not really counting time, it's just to know what I'm capable of in 1, 2, 3 hours. I usually watch the clock in the first hour to help me focus on the important things, and not spend too much time on details.

@Jason : Thanks. Texture is what I need to work on now !

Another Bierstadt study.
    I took last week to make some creative work, I will do both from now on, it will be easier.
    Hm, this one was hard. A lot of subtlety in those light grey in the sky, highlights, sharp edges, soft edges and details everywhere.
    Lots of little details are off and I didn't catch this heaven mood.
    I think I messed up the study when I switch to add texture. Maybe not the right brush, maybe one wasn't enough. (one for the sky, one for the rocks ?)
    I will try to improve that in the next one.
    Name:  Level_up_18_Albert_Bierstadt,_Among_the_Sierra_Nevada_Mountains.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  195.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that's a nice one and doesn't look messed up, just be more bold with the textures
    Yeah, different brushes for the sky, rocks, trees and so on. Sometimes it might take 3-4 brushes for just one texture, sometimes one brush is part of all textures in a pic and couple of others for the finish.. It depends on the texture a lot, requires experimentation. Quite a lot of time it's just about breaking the surface with grain.
    Anyway, you could try to use textured brush right from the beginning, it's not necessary to paint values before adding texture, best would be to do both at the same time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to samwaulu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at this point you are so close on this one that if you can go in and sharpen up the sharp edges and be sure your soft edges are in the right place you will have this one nailed. nice work on the values and shapes.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @samwaulu : Thanks. I think I didn't have as much control as I had with my previous brush. More experimentation like you said will really help me !

@Jason : I will try to spend another hour on it and correct those edges.

I figured I would close my serie of portrait study with a Bouguereau portrait.
    It's not perfect but I couldn't have done it in the beginning, so I'm stil pretty happy about the result.
    I'm more subtle with values now, especially in the feature area, compared to some of the Sargent study I did.
    Name:  Level_up_19_Bouguereau - portrait-of-gabrielle.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  202.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow...really nice work. the value near the upside down v shape at the bottom near her shoulder could be a little stronger and the line down the nose looks a bit contrasty/dark and vertical compared to the original. however you did a great job with your edges and the painting study overall. I am very pleased. However I do encourage you to keep pushing...the more acccuracy the better.

j

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jason : Thanks a lot ! That's nice to read .
    I'll maybe go back to a Sargent one before trying another Bouguereau portrait, but I will definitly try to push the accuracy!

Here is the 18th study with some retakes on the values and some edges.
    Name:  Level_up_18_Albert_Bierstadt,_Among_the_Sierra_Nevada_Mountains.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  188.9 KB

And here the one from tonight. I ended up with another Bierstadt study. I really like the mood and the lighting in his paintings.
    The way he surrounds the mountain with clouds etc.

It's the last one for Composition 1.1. I'm still gonna continue doing and posting those, because there is still a tons of things to learn.
    I still have a lots of things to learn from Bierstadt (and others). And I didn't even had the time to apply all this in my creative work yet.
    I will probably focus on the shapes on the next one, as I feel I can still improve in that area, and implement the edges/texture in the following ones.
    Well, I don't really know where I will find the time with the others exercise, we will see.
    Name:  Level_up_20_Albert_Bierstadt_-_Mount_Corcoran.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  270.3 KB

Last edited by Fincks; April 19th, 2014 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a pass on your crisp edges would wrap these up. you can be a little soft in your edges and it leads to kind of a blurry quality that the originals don't always have. 10 mins at the end should get you a lot closer...

keep up the great work. nice work on your values too.

jm

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jason : Okok, I'll put 1/2h to sharpen all those edges. Thanks a lot !

As I'm having trouble in composition when I'm making thumbnails, I thought I could make more serious composition analysis from my previous studies. I think I'll probably do more of these.

Name:  Composition_Analysis_Cole_Thomas_Landscape_Composition_Saint_John_in_the_Wilderness_1827.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  284.9 KB
    Name:  Composition_Analysis_Tomas Cole Roman Campagna.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  242.4 KB
    Name:  Composition_Analysis_rembrandt.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  186.6 KB
    Name:  Composition_Analysis_Bierstadt_Albert_Bavarian_Landscape.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  287.1 KB
    Name:  Composition_Analysis_Looking_Down_Yosemite-Valley.jpg
Size:  237.6 KB
    Name:  Composition_Analysis_Albert_Bierstadt,_Composition_Analysis_Among_the_Sierra_Nevada_Mountains.jpg
Size:  231.7 KB
    Name:  Composition_Analysis_Albert_Bierstadt_-_Mount_Corcoran.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  260.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your Bierstadt studies. I can definitely see you improving, which is pretty motivating for me! And thanks so much for posting up the composition analyses. Really nice to look at for a beginner like me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to adrikoh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't really give any crit that hasn't already been given, but I like the most recent Bierstadt study, especially how you broke down the cloud shapes. Also, it's really neat to see the improvement in shapes and values from the Sargent portrait to the Bouguereau!

Congrats on finishing up Comp 1.1! I'll look forward to your future composition studies after #20.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to aolian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the analysis will be super helpful so yes do keep that up. in time it will just happen and you won't even think about it...so the more you put in now the more you pull out later. keep up the great work.

jm

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @adrikoh : Thanks ! In the beginning I was just observing them, but taking some time and actually analyzing them with lines/circles etc, is totally diffrent.

@Aolian : Thanks a lot ! Yeah I definitly improved. I looked at some thumbnails from 2 months ago and there is definitly a difference in my creative work even if I still sometimes push the contrast too hard.

@Jason : I think I will try to do some weekly analysis. It doesn't take that much time and it will really helps me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As I'm trying to find a simple but efficient composition, I thought I could do some composition analysis.
    Here are some Frazetta analysis that I never posted and some of Peter Elson's work, more focused on the shapes used and the dynamic lines/composition.
    Fincks -  Composition 1.1

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome studies. the diagrams are actually fun to deconstruct and think about what you are seeing. thanks for sharing these.

jm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 11