Sketchbook: frostherz's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: frostherz's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

frostherz's Sketchbook

Hey there,
    I thought it would be a good idea to start a sketchbook on this site. I used to draw and paint a lot in my childhood and teenage years but by joining the ranks of the hard working adults my time and ambition for art took a huge bump. Since then I was an off and on artist who occasionaly put up the pen and scribbled some stuff here and there. A few months ago I had the idea to invest more time and dedication into drawing and painting so I started to upload my stuff to deviantart hoping to receive some help there how I could improve. But I hardly ever received even a comment so I thought joining a forum might be better idea. So here I am now. I will upload some of the things I draw and paint into this sketchbook. I hope it will help me to improve.

I want to get better at painting because I just enjoy it. I guess I'll never be able to earn some money with it and that's totally okay. Painting for fun seems to be my only motivation.

Recently I tried some portraits in Photoshop. Trying to get proportions and value right. Well... I'm having huge problems with almost everything. Especially the eyes are driving me nuts. When starting out in the rough sketch the size of the eyes always seems perfect, but later they start to grow bigger and bigger it's horrible... haha.

Oh and what's the rule about picture dimensions? I hope a 1000px wide image is not too big?

Name:  portrait01.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  119.0 KBName:  portrait02.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  101.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome!

Your description reminds me of myself. And your name suggests you are from Germany, too?

Anyways: Your portraits are a really good start. I'd say it would be a good idea to study eyes, the ones in the pictures look more like symbols than real eyes. Try drawing from life! I'd love to see more stuff from you! The most important thing is you are having fun getting better

Cheers!

Look what I did! Vep's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Vep,

thanks for your reply. You're right I am from Germany. Gr dich.

And thank you for your suggestion. I actually thought about that too this morning while I was painting the eyes of the second portrait. Drawing from life is difficult for me because I'm kind of embarassed drawing in public. It's strange when people see you drawing ugly portraits on the train I think. And it's creepy for the other people beeing watched by that guy with the sketchbook in the corner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I know that feeling. That's one of the reasons why I'm thinking about buying a tablet with decent drawing properties. I mean, people are always staring on smartphones anyways, it's not as suspicious as holding a sketchbook

Looking forward to more stuff from you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey and welcome . Did you use xia taptaras work for ref? they remind me of the ones from his purchaseable videos.
    I think that '' mastering '' the loomis method is a good start before jumping into value. Just fill sketchbooks with loomis or some other structure method until you get it right. Xia taptara has a 3 parter on his youtube channel too for drawing heads in different angles and proportions. I find doing it the way that he does it to be a ton easier, since I don't have to make '' perfect circles '' n stuff. I find myself being more accurate that way than with the loomis method, but that may have to do with the fact that I filled two whole sketchbooks with loomis before xD. So it's already in my head.

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkolsyrad View Post
    Hey and welcome . Did you use xia taptaras work for ref?
    Hey there, good eye, sir. That's indeed Xia's Face Constructed Tutorial I was following. I bought it some time ago and I'm trying to work my way through it. I tried Loomis too some time ago but I can't help myself it just doesn't suit me. I will try the 3-parter on youtube you mentioned. I guess it's time to work that sketchbook on the train no matter what... *sigh*

I worked on some eye-studies this weekend.

Name:  augen1.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  41.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eye studies look great You could always just draw people that aren't facing you, and put on some sunglasses and earbuds, then you're just an oblivious train passenger.

Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by freakmod View Post
    The eye studies look great You could always just draw people that aren't facing you, and put on some sunglasses and earbuds, then you're just an oblivious train passenger.
    Hey there,

that's what I did today at Starbucks. Awesome experience.

So, after that session I went home and tried to draw a portrait with pencil. I used a reference picture for this. I wish I could use the Wacom-Tablet as well as pen and paper. Sorry for the quality but I don't have a scanner.

Name:  girl.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  313.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to do some 60 second sketches over at http://artists.pixelovely.com/

Concentration went to hell after about 20 sketches. So I'll use the break to upload them here. Name:  03.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  385.5 KBName:  01.jpg
Size:  344.3 KBName:  02.jpg
Size:  384.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! Gestures are great; you'll see progress very fast. Maybe try doing 30 second gestures? You will be forced to capture the essence of the pose even faster and so you won't get lost in details. Maybe adding the line of action will also help! Keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I spend the last weeks drawing faces. I learned a lot by doing it and I had a lot of fun. I try hard to get into a drawing habit but sadly my daily needs sometimes force me to not draw at all for quite a few days. But I do come back and take up the pencil every now and then. That's all that counts.

The third girl is the best of the seven and I can't exactly say why. I guess I accidently drew the proportions right and in the other drawings the proportions are more or less off.

Name:  heads1_1.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  33.1 KB
    Name:  heads1_2.jpg
Size:  38.6 KB
    Name:  heads1_3.jpg
Size:  44.7 KB
    Name:  heads1_4.jpg
Size:  38.4 KB
    Name:  heads1_5.jpg
Size:  14.8 KB
    Name:  heads1_6.jpg
Size:  66.2 KB
    Name:  heads1_7.jpg
Size:  49.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The girl in #8 is real awesome man, keep it up!! Asian girl in the sweater digital drawing looks good too. Have you thought about bumping up the opacity after doing these sketches and adding in a few hard details, like the corners of the mouth, eyes, nose, and the overall silhouette? I see a lot of areas left blurry and it might be good practice to define those more.

Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

Members who have read this thread: 16