Clover Paint (Android)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Clover Paint (Android)

This app has been around for a year but is quite low-key despite its being the best art app on Android IMHO. I'm simply a hobbyist painter but I believe the folks here would enjoy using this app as well.

In short, Clover Paint can compete on equal ground with some desktop-grade applications. It provides complex brush dynamics, custom brushes, shortcuts, hotkeys, pen pressure curve adjustment, almost all of blending modes for brushes and layers as seen in Photoshop etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...st.CloverPaint

* N.B.: the app itself costs ~$8. There is an extension dedicated for tablets, which costs an addition 20 bucks. To be fair, the extension improves UI a lot with more freedom and convenience. It provides additional panels (similar to those in the desktop applications) which you can move/show/hide/dock everywhere. It also remembers the workspace for portrait and landscape mode without messing up when changing from one to the other. Still the core features stay the same.

Some may think that almost $30 for an Android app is expensive though. If you appreciate the app enough or want to buy the dev (more than) a beer, consider supporting him by purchasing the extension.

* Some helpful links:
    Quick Guide: Clover Paint User Guide (click Download on the right hand side)
    Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CloverPaint
    Website (Japanese): Clover Paintĺ…¬ĺĽŹăƒˆăƒƒăƒ—
    Twitter (Japanese): www.twitter.com/Clover_Paint

Name:  2014-04-09_145151.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  163.5 KB

(picture taken from Play store)

Clover Paint (Android)

Hotkey implementation in the app

Last edited by hemiolan; May 4th, 2014 at 01:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's just that the interface need some more work...
    The app seems nice and feature complete but the UI is not what you expect to see on a tablet, so it's difficult to recommend it to people ( and I would LOVE to recommend a nice drawing app on android... I'm waiting for that for ages )
    I will try to contact the dev to see if he is interested to improve the soft's UI

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems conceptart was just restructured :o

Quote Originally Posted by funshark View Post
    it's just that the interface need some more work...
    The app seems nice and feature complete but the UI is not what you expect to see on a tablet, so it's difficult to recommend it to people ( and I would LOVE to recommend a nice drawing app on android... I'm waiting for that for ages )
    I will try to contact the dev to see if he is interested to improve the soft's UI
    The EfT actually improve the UI a lot. The only thing is that many Android users wouldn't accept such price point.

Name:  2014-04-09_145151.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  163.5 KB

(picture taken from Play store)

On another news, the latest version comes with a feature called "Post-stroke Editor". It allows users to adjust thickness/opacity/etc of the last brush stroke. It is kinda similar to the "vector" inking feature in Paint Tool SAI, Manga Studio and Clip Paint Studio, except that it can be used with ANY brush types. However the big limitation of the current release is that ONLY the last brush stroke can be edited. Anyway it is promising!

The feature can be accessed from Tools -> Pen -> PS.Editor

Clover Paint (Android)

Last edited by hemiolan; April 9th, 2014 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, I mean the look of the UI + icon + general "marketing"
    But the dev doesn't want to do any effort in that direction, so...

Actually I've showed the app to some friends ( artists ) and they all have had the same reaction concerning the UI; so they prefer to use other app like layer paint.

And yeah, the UI update is way too overpriced

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also tried convincing the developer several times that it was overpriced but no luck. He perceived Android as a serious system for productive work, not a mere consumer-toy platform. Clover Paint is aim for the professional and he does not want to set a lower the price since it would put a hindrance on the advent of other high quality apps. The majority of developers, unless the few lucky ones with a big hit, could not make a living out of developing for mobile platform (Android, iOS etc) alone because of the fierce pricing competition. He doesn't want to put up with that, and wants to change the situation in the long run. Quite overconfident and unrealistic goal with sole effort from an individual if you ask me.

Last edited by hemiolan; May 4th, 2014 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hemiolan View Post
    I also tried convincing the developer several times that it was overpriced but no luck. He perceived Android as a serious system for productive work, not a mere consumer-toy platform. Clover Paint is aim for the professional and he does not want to set a lower the price since it would put a hindrance on the advent of other high quality apps. The majority of developers, unless the few lucky ones with a big hit, could not make a living out of developing for mobile platform (Android, iOS etc) alone because of the fierce pricing competition. He doesn't want to put up with that, and wants to change the situation in the long run. Quite overconfident and unrealistic goal with sole effort from an individual if you ask me.
    Yup, the fact is, if I want some professional tool and device, I'm going to get a surface pro or a wacom cintiq portable, under windows, with already a bunch of good softwares.
    It is sad that there are so many painting softs on Android but no one to understand the real needs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyway EfT is currently up for trial until the end of April, do you mind giving it a try? After all I would love to know inputs from the folks around here. To be fair the app has come a long way and is in a league of its own on android. It is as good as, if not better, than desktop version of sketchbook pro imo. It totally can make a viable solution for the professional on the go, no?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of resolution can the app handle? It's not overpriced at all...

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also tried convincing the developer several times that it was overpriced but no luck.
    8 bucks is not overpriced for a serious work app.

He perceived Android as a serious system for productive work, not a mere consumer-toy platform.
    and in the long run he is correct.

Clover Paint is aim for the professional and he does not want to set a lower the price since it would put a hindrance on the advent of other high quality apps.
    however the reality is that "high quality apps" are overall decreasing in price, and you're quite likely to see stuff like Maya offered with a free noncommercial licence in the near future (because other autodesk products are already moving in this direction).

The majority of developers, unless the few lucky ones with a big hit, could not make a living out of developing for mobile platform (Android, iOS etc) alone because of the fierce pricing competition. He doesn't want to put up with that, and wants to change the situation in the long run. Quite overconfident and unrealistic goal with sole effort from an individual if you ask me.
    he's charging 8$. that's definitely reasonable. with or without the added ideology.

The heights by great men reached and kept,
    Were not attained by sudden flight,
    For they, while they companions slept,
    Were toiling upwards in the night"

(Henry Wadsworth)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    What kind of resolution can the app handle? It's not overpriced at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir0 View Post
    8 bucks is not overpriced for a serious work app.
    I actually referred to the total price with EfT included, which is $28. The app alone is a steal to those who know what it's worth.

Also resolution can be set freely as long as the hardware serves.

Quote Originally Posted by Amir0 View Post
    and in the long run he is correct.
    It would be a long debate. In short I think the otherwise provided that Microsoft don't mess up again. The advent of Windows tablets powered by new Atom generations should cease the (users') needs for Android or iOS as serious platform for productive work. They are light, fan-less, on par with the old good C2D ULV, last all day, and most importantly give exclusive access to the x86 application legacy (which means Photoshop, Painter, Manga Studio etc). Be it either the main device or a companion, users still work in their familiar ecosystem (Windows). However Microsoft is moving too slow to promote such devices while the manufacturers somehow have trouble releasing a proper device. Despite being at the same price point as Android counterparts, Windows tabs either lack fundamental features in a companion device, or give subpar build quality. There is no surprise that Windows - Atom tabs haven't gained proper recognition from the customers at the time being. That certainly gives Android apps more time to mature to compete on equal ground with Windows counterparts. Yet the time is tight before customers are aware of these Win tabs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    $28 is not alot, still

Um because of what you just wrote I'm becoming interested in how Windows tablets could be a serious work platform.

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    $28 for a fully featured art tool isn't unfair. I just bought Manga Studio 5 for that much on sale at Amazon and thought I got away with murder.

I tried Clover Paint when it came out on my Note 10.1, and I liked it, but the UI seemed unfinished, so I ended up bouncing between Sketchbook Pro and Layerpaint. I wouldn't consider any of those 2 professional though. If I kept my Note instead of going with the Samsung Ativ, I probably would have come back to Clover Paint to try out the developers latest version. Android needs all the support it can get for art app development.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    $28 is not alot, still
    Quote Originally Posted by Eelybot View Post
    $28 for a fully featured art tool isn't unfair.
    True. If only the user knew its value, which is not the case with the vast majority of Android users. It's the market standing of the platform to be blamed though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been using clover paint since it first came out and I think its one of the best art apps around for any platform, especially with the new EfT interface. I am impressed with how much progress has been made on it in the past year given that only one developer is working on it, and IMO $30 is a small price to pay for such a powerful tool.

Clover paint is definitely still 'rough around the edges' in some places but its very powerful once you learn how to harness the flexbility of its brush system.

Regarding tablets, I bought cintiq companion when it first came out (the windows cintiq tablet) and I found it was frustrating to use photoshop on it, partly because ps was kinda slow on the tablet and partly because while it is touch enabled photoshop was not designed with touch in mind so the interface can be annoying without a physical keyboard.

I ended up returning the windows cintiq and getting the android cintiq companion hybrid, so now I can use it as a cintiq with my laptop to run photoshop and also use it to run clover paint which is awesome on the 13" cintiq screen and works much better on a tablet than PS IMO.

PS.
    Thanks for posting the clover 'user guide' on deviantart hemiolan.. I learned a few new tricks for clover from your guide =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah...... Just have to chime in here. This app is not overpriced by any stretch. 28 dollars it cost me for an app for my pressure sensitive Samsung devices (I have 3 with a stylus note 2, 10.1, and the 12.2 pro. I wouldn't waste my time using this on anything less than a tablet. I still am more productive with Artflow or sket hbook, but this app is by far the most customizeable, and powerful, in terms of number of tools, customization etc... The brush engine is FAST, and it blends perfectly. Layers are as well fleshed out as photoshop. On the Con side its poorly documented, in english, anyway. The ui is clunky, and a bit of an eyesore.

I've spent a hundred hours with sketchbook pro, and more than that with artflow. I've barely spent 3 hours with clover, but once I've ground through the learning curve I know this will be my favorite.
    Why? Because the reason it's not popular yet is why it will be in time. It's incredibly powerful stable full featured, but currently poorly documented and has an intimidating ui.

Lastly, as a software developer, who is it that's complaining about buying a Photoshop equal for 1/20 the price, just because it runs on android? Probably the same people that won't pay me 2 bucks for my mobile game, but spend 5.00 dollars every morning for a cup of Starbucks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @alisont
    I'm glad you find the guide helpful

@biffo1
    Just want to restate that Clover Paint is 'overpriced' to the ordinary android users who have little idea how powerful the app is. They are ironically the main source of income for the dev atm even though they aren't the main target customers. Not to mention that it's easy to be compared to the controversially best Procreate, which is merely 4 quids (Procreate was clever though, they charge addition with their fancy brush packs).

It wouldn't be the case if Clover Paint had been more popular and recognised earlier by, for example, the fellows here. You're absolutely right, "poorly documented and intimidating ui" are the deal breakers. Yet without anyone raising the awareness, the app would be doomed in no time. That would be a real shame.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really want to like Cloverpaint and try to use it every few weeks but it just feels like I'm fighting it every step of the way. I wish someone would do a complete UI overhaul to make it feel more conventional-- like I don't know, maybe Wacom themselves could do it as a selling point for the Hybrid Companion.

For right now at least, Layerpaint HD is the unsung hero of the Android store for me.. It's much better than the original Layerpaint (it's basically FireAlpaca adapted to Android) and is really full-featured and easy to use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrief View Post
    I really want to like Cloverpaint and try to use it every few weeks but it just feels like I'm fighting it every step of the way. I wish someone would do a complete UI overhaul to make it feel more conventional-- like I don't know, maybe Wacom themselves could do it as a selling point for the Hybrid Companion.

For right now at least, Layerpaint HD is the unsung hero of the Android store for me.. It's much better than the original Layerpaint (it's basically FireAlpaca adapted to Android) and is really full-featured and easy to use.
    While I liked the Layerpaint interface for the most part, and the brush engine as well, it felt really limited in terms of features and customisability to someone who uses Photoshop exclusively for painting. Sketchbook Pro was even worse for me.

CloverPaint(and my Galaxy Note) on the other hand, has been one of the greatest things to happen to me as an artist. Having used a friend's Surface Pro for a while, I realised there are a few specific features or options that I absolutely must have in a painting/art application on a penabled device. Without these features/options I find my painting workflow tends to be slow and/or tedious. Some of these would be instant-access color-picker, instant-access brush size, widgets/shortcuts for transform, select, flip canvas and clear canvas, customisable pressure curve, customisable, entirely hide-able interface and button-remapping. I was even happier when I discovered I could adjust the increments for pinch to zoom and rotate.

I think the UI could definitely use a design overhaul(the look, not the layout of the UI so much), and the menus and documentation need proof-reading or better translation. But aside from those issues, once you've learned how to use and customise CloverPaint sufficiently, it should be a great experience.

Members who have read this thread: 22