Daratis - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Daratis - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Daratis - Composition 1.1

Name:  Dyck_study.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  69.3 KB

Big thanks for this nice composition class. I really want to improve my art and composition was always my weakness.
    I started with a simple portrait from Van Dyck. There's a lot of principles and i wanted to start easy.

45min.

NB: Sorry for my bad english, another thing i need to improve too ^^'

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a good start!
    Your values look pretty good, but you should work more on getting the shapes and forms right. Spend some extra time in the initial drawing/block-in to make sure everything is in the right place.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  gerome_study.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  62.9 KB

Here's a second study of a portrait by Gerome. The lighting seems really interesting, but i underestimated the complexity of his hat and his costume. It takes a long time, about 2h. I realize how is it important to always have a high contrast border to highlight the character global shape. But in another hand the left part of his face doesn't need as emphasis as the right part and so this part has a very low contrast details, all elements going to dark. So nice, but this painting still has a lot of detail and less economy principle no ?
    Some recommandations for my next painting ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dahlia ^^

I tried to paint directly with large brushes, but to be honest, i prefer start with a drawing, then fill my shapes and paint over. This workflow with large brushes seems really efficient but it's hard to obtain precise shapes from the very beginning ^^'.

Ok ! Next study will be heavenly more precise !! >_<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  frank_frazetta_captiveprincess.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  93.3 KB

3) Captive princess from Frank Frazetta

One hour was too short for me. Maybe i passed too much time progressively making my contrast higher and higher instead of blocking them to their definitive value from the beginning.

I didn't know the name of this artist, but i recognized his work and it was a real pleasure to study.
    I found in this piece a lot of the principles so well executed as the repetition of curves, the great emphasis of the white skin of the princess.

Finally i can understand how it works, how it was set up and this is really really rewarding.
    Now I need more and more paintings to improve my process and my speed in order to had more details to my paintings ^^' and precision too -sigh-

My english sounds very bad tonight uh ? Maybe i must sleep now...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,069 Times in 2,622 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you can use an under drawing to map it out...if it helps you get to where you need to be, do it. working with large to small brushes causes those doing the studies to better see the range of shapes and to work out of focus to into focus. the real key is choosing the exact size brush for the exact mark you want to make and taking the time to double check it before you just leave it and move on.

keep up the good work...your values are coming along well. i agree that biting down on shape accuracy and mapping it out will be helpful.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NC Whyet

4)Grant by NC Whyet - 1H30

Name:  grant_by_wyeth.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  83.9 KB

5)Another NC Whyet - 45min

Name:  nc_whyet.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  58.6 KB

These paintings gaves me some difficulties. My shapes weren't as precise as i would like and i lost too much time correcting details like proportion of human head etc. I choose simple paintings in order to make it easy beginning with big shapes and little by little going further in details. But i noticed for this two paintings that i put a lot of strokes with different values on all the surface randomly (in the first step), making final piece difficult to unify (some of them are a little too big, angles not exactly correct etc.).

@Jason: Big thanks for advises, i'll try it on my next paintings. I'll need a number of tries to reach a good result ^^
    I hope it'll be soon !

Thanks
    Thanked 11,069 Times in 2,622 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awesome block ins. these are great. if you can get some brushes made that mimic that surface these things will come together quickly. his surface can cause a certain atmosphere and is something uniquely wyeth. watch for that.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Daratis,
    Your forms are looking solid which is good! But I feel like especially in the last two pieces that the strokes look very even in size. Perhaps using a small brush just in the areas of emphasis, or a quick accurate lasso will be a simple way to create more variation and a closer copy to the original.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Daratis,
    Your forms are looking solid which is good! But I feel like especially in the last two pieces that the strokes look very even in size. Perhaps using a small brush just in the areas of emphasis, or a quick accurate lasso will be a simple way to create more variation and a closer copy to the original.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Chen For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 27