m-O - Composition 1.1

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: m-O - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

m-O - Composition 1.1

Hello!
    I chose this painting of Innocent X. by Diego Velasquez because i liked the subtle atmosphere and color/value harmony.
    I also like how he can achieve a realistic look just by few brushstrokes /like those folds on the drapery/.
    Name:  fail.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  188.9 KB
    The original painting is on the right side *badum tss*

I failed miserably. I'm sure that i could do better if i had more than one hour. Gotta go faster next time! (ง •̀_•́)ง

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second try.

How come you guys are so fast? I just saw a complete study that was made in FIFTY minutes! O_O
    My approach looks like this:
    I start with the big shapes. After that i try to get the values right. Then i'm trying to work on smaller shapes but the time runs out.

I've chosen this piece mainly because of the colors /which is stupid because i should be focused on composition/
    I also like its slight asymmetry and balance between complexity and simplicity of the details.
    Name:  fail2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  74.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When it comes to the time limit it seems it's better to just focus on the piece and the speed will come later. Spend 4 hours on them if you need to in order to really understand the piece and get all the observations you can make into your own painting. All that cramming the study into an hour will do is leave you with inaccuracies and bad habits towards drawing what you think is there and what is there. From browsing other people's threads, it seems like they may spend 3+ hours on the first couple, but over time they improve and can make the process go much quicker.

I would go back to your first study and continue to refine it. It's a good start. Look for the areas of the original that are the darkest. You haven't quite pushed those darks as far as you can. For instance the darkest parts of his drapery are much lighter than the darkest parts of the background, the arms of the chair etc.

Keep it up and focus on the process of learning, the speed will come with experience. Hopefully Jason can chime in for you, there's a chance I'm misinformed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dslyecix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're right. I rather spend more time painting than ending up with a poor result.
    I deleted both "studies" so i'm gonna start again from scratch. I've decided to redo both paintings. They sure deserve a better reproduction

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that man. My first study took me an hour and I was constantly checking the clock. In the end the panic of running out of time made me rush it and mess it up (more than what I'd already messed my attempted reproduction of a masters work up with lol) definitely taking your advice with this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well.. still better than the first version ┐(´∇`)┌
    Name:  scnd-try.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  83.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another remake of my previous try.
    Name:  krzwl-scnd_try.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  88.1 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great job on your values on this most recent piece. it looks like you could go a little bit darker in the areas next to her rib cage as well as in the lower left of the painting. double check your edges along the bottom of her dress too. do you see how the original feels a little softer because the value contrast is pushed down and there aer some slightly broken qualities to the edges due to surface?

you are on the right track...keep pushing.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

m-O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a thought on the time limits (in general, not necessarily for this assignment)-
    In my experience, rushing doesn't do any good (builds bad habits) even on short studies. What short studies are good for is when you go in with a specific goal in mind, work at a normal pace and just get much less done. For instance, if you only have an hour, then just focus on getting the major values and shapes right and ignore everything else (I've been trying that out lately). In this case, a short time limit can help you practice breaking down and simplifying what you see. Or maybe you have a specific target for studying - such as getting the texture of a dress down. If so, great, do that and just splotch in everything else.

Of course, if you have more time, then you're obviously going to learn more, which what you should be what you do for this assignment (you're trying to learn so many things at once with these).
    Just don't rush it!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study number 3. The first thing that struck me when i saw this painting was the lighting.
    I tried to focus on the drapery and values, but i've lost my patience after 3 hours :/
    Name:  study3.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  90.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are doing a very good job mapping out shapes. your values are also getting mapped in pretty well too. if we can get your edges to match the original at that same level of accuracy, these are going to be excellent. you tend to go a little sharp on your edges..watch for that.

keep it up.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should post here more often, i'm more active at the drawing section :P
    Do you guys do under-drawings before painting?

Study number 4
    Name:  study 4.png
Views: 75
Size:  321.8 KB
    I liked the perspective of this piece and also the contrast between the clouds/fog and sharp rocks.
    I tried to focus on values. But as i got closer to the viewer /rocks/ it started to be more complex.I was getting distracted by the texture and couldn't finish it.
    Hope my next study is gonna be better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff - that last one totally passes the squint test.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks a lot Setmonkey! Gonna try this squint test you mentioned next time.^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Squinting will allow you to view your value relationships clearer but since you're using photoshop, I assume, you might also want to try zooming out. One way I like to set things up and also sometimes helps me work faster is opening a new window of my project so that I can see it both close up and far away. Any changes you make in one window will show up in the other. In photoshop just go to Window->Arrange->New Window. I've attached some images to show you how to set this up.

Name:  Screen shot 2014-05-12 at 3.33.26 PM.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  186.1 KB
    Name:  Screen shot 2014-05-12 at 3.35.17 PM.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  230.8 KB

This is one way of working that will allow you to see keep a closer eye on the values and the whole picture without getting lost in the details.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rassy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the advice Rassy! Btw Mona is looking far better now! :D

22. The Following User Says Thank You to m-O For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Razzy you just blew my mind. In all my time in photoshop or painter I had not considered that...I just use the zoom in and out. Genius.

m-O you did a really nice job on the latest image. I think you can get your values a little closer. Your levels seem off a little bit. Be sure you are installing a quality control pass where you double and triple check your values. That will get you much much closer.

I look forward to the updates.

JM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the study #5 I've chosen the painting of artist's wife by Alfonz Mucha. I liked that this painting looks very different than the "overly ornamented/decorative" pieces that made him famous. It's a nice example of how economy can emphasize the area of interest.
    I'm pretty disappointed with the result because I've spent more than 4 hours on it and it still looks disgusting :D I Name:  mucha study.png
Views: 40
Size:  302.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the biggest difference is in the textural quality of the brushes, so finding a brush that can do similar marks and surface would help. A bit closer eye on the value transitions and gradients on the face would be a good choice too. You are doing a good job on your shapes though. This is far from disgusting..looks pretty good start wise. Don't worry about the time. Speed will come. You are talented...just need more of them!!

Members who have read this thread: 16