Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Agerkvist - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    So true Grumpy. Overthinking is a vice of mine - sometimes you should just do instead of wondering how to. If you get what I mean.

And on that note, here's my next study - it's another N. C. Wyeth, just because he's awesome. This painting has that charateristic comic book feel about it that NCW does so well. There's lots of economy, yet again, and the composition is really heavy towards the bottom with the two hunters, but the light hitting the tree and the tree itself balances it all out. It's about the hunters, they're looking for something, someone, uneasy.

Study 7 - The Black Arrow after N.C. Wyeth (I'm not sure this is the right title actually, so feel free to correct me)

Name:  NCWyeth-Hunters-3h.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  438.9 KB

I tried pushing myself abit more timewise on this one and it shows, but I still feel pretty good about it. Lots of room for improvement, don't get me wrong

When uploading these I always notice a bunch of mistakes. Ah but that's how it is, isn't it? Maybe I should spend MORE time one the next hehe...my lines look so blurry now that I've uploaded it. But there it is ><
    Last edited by Agerkvist; April 9th, 2014 at 03:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Huge improvement since the beginning!
    I really like The Indian study from NC Wyeth.

I like the brushwork in the last one, it's really dynamic, it gives the impression that there is a lot of wind.
    I think that it lacks some "outlines".
    There is also the big branch in the center that is too large. As it's too large, it's impossible to connect with the other part of the branch behind the snow. (not very clear I know)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fincks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,353 Times in 2,876 Posts
    awesome work.

you went a little large on the two heads in the most recent but overall it is very close. keep up the great work.

jm

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You've really improved amazingly. The last studies are great, I think!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomasBj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Fincks Yeah it does have a few obvious flaws and the edges aren't as defined as I thought when I was knee deep in it ><

@Jason Big heads yeah, I tried fixing it but it was too late then. I'll keep at it! Thanks.

@ThomasBj thanks man, I'm definately getting a better grasp of these studies, but I still have quite a few to go

Thanks for stoping by everyone, it really means the world to me. Seriously, I really appreciate it

Thanks
    Nice work on study 7. With regards to the figures being a little big, I wouldn't worry, it's something we all do. Seems to be a natural thing, but once you become aware of it, you'll notice it more and fix things. Looks great though well done

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When uploading these I always notice a bunch of mistakes. Ah but that's how it is, isn't it? Maybe I should spend MORE time one the next hehe...my lines look so blurry now that I've uploaded it. But there it is ><
    It's almost always like that.. But I think it's how we learn eventually. If you're worried about the proportion, maybe check with temp rulers, just to see where you stand. I tend to make figures either smaller or bigger than necessary, so I try to check that way. Still ends up a bit off... but, it might be helpful to check as you go. The brushwork works really well though.. I notice a few highlights that are missing from the tree, but other than that, it seems a job well done. I'm sure if you spent half an hour more you'd cover some of the things you noticed, too. But, these are supposed to be loose anyway. Keep it up!
    The key is to start doing. The rest falls into place eventually.

Sketchblog | DeviantART

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RaliVanMinks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri in the sky View Post
    Nice work on study 7. With regards to the figures being a little big, I wouldn't worry, it's something we all do. Seems to be a natural thing, but once you become aware of it, you'll notice it more and fix things. Looks great though well done
    Haha yeah it seems almost inevitable, even when I'm being aware of it :p Thanks alot man!

Quote Originally Posted by RaliVanMinks View Post
    It's almost always like that.. But I think it's how we learn eventually. If you're worried about the proportion, maybe check with temp rulers, just to see where you stand. I tend to make figures either smaller or bigger than necessary, so I try to check that way. Still ends up a bit off... but, it might be helpful to check as you go. The brushwork works really well though.. I notice a few highlights that are missing from the tree, but other than that, it seems a job well done. I'm sure if you spent half an hour more you'd cover some of the things you noticed, too. But, these are supposed to be loose anyway. Keep it up!
    I do use a grid to check my shapes now and then, but I try not to rely on it. I have a really hard time positioning my shapes exactly right horizontally. I'm always a little off to the left or right And yeah, half an hour extra always does wonders, but I have to stop these some times. My time is quite limited at the moment and if I spend too long on each study I will get stuck. I try to find a balance of not rushing them too much, but also finishing them at a pace where I feel like I'm getting somewhere. Thanks alot

And on that note here's study no. 8.

Study 8 - "I've no idea" after Frank Frazette, 4-6 hours is my guess, but who cares anymore. I try to limit myself without rushing through.

I tried putting together a gif of my progress, mostly for laughs. I also did a little comparison chart of the various stages.

I focused alot on shapes again and getting some sharp edges and lines - getting those thin black sharp "outlines" is really hard for me without them looking weird. I threw a sharpen filter on between steps 4 and 5 and I almost felt like I was cheating.

There's lots of economy again, we're really not seeing anything besides the main character and the tentacle but notice how the value of the background changes slightly to help emphasize key areas of interest. The knife and the head in particular. Other than that there's quite a lof of highlights used to emphasize the knife, the arm, the tentacle around the neck. It doesn't take long before you understand exacly what's going on here.

Anyway, here it is:

Name:  MONSTER-Frank-Frazetta4.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  292.3 KB

Process:

Name:  1-5.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  539.2 KB

Le Gif:

Name:  ffgif.gif
Views: 226
Size:  2.19 MB
    Last edited by Agerkvist; April 15th, 2014 at 03:58 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pretty much hit it out of the park. Have you browsed Benedikt's sketchbook? He was explaining the process for one of his pieces and I think he said he uses a sharpen filter at the very end. It looked pretty great and I think it is silly if anyone would call that cheating. It would almost be like calling a painter cheating if they used a glaze at the end to unify all the colors. . . like they couldn't get the colors right the first time, so they have to cheat with a glaze at the end? I think of sharpen filter as just another tool. Sure, it could be abused, but it's just another technique to learn how to use properly.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,353 Times in 2,876 Posts
    nice study. it seems you widened the ribs a little but outside that this is the level we need to see...good shapes...values...and edges. you are continuing on the right track. more more.

jm

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I totally agree, working too long on one study, ends up a bit destructive in the end,
    in the sense that you get too much in the details, and perhaps even lose sight of some
    problem areas, or like you say, get stuck.

But just like Grumpysaur mentioned about the sharpen filter being another tool, the guides
    and some other aids to measure out are really helpful, especially if you haven't gotten
    used to working digitally just yet.

It's great seeing your process on this one, ended up really great! Using a silhouette seems
    to be working very well in fleshing things out later on.
    The key is to start doing. The rest falls into place eventually.

Sketchblog | DeviantART

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpysaur View Post
    Pretty much hit it out of the park. Have you browsed Benedikt's sketchbook? He was explaining the process for one of his pieces and I think he said he uses a sharpen filter at the very end. It looked pretty great and I think it is silly if anyone would call that cheating. It would almost be like calling a painter cheating if they used a glaze at the end to unify all the colors. . . like they couldn't get the colors right the first time, so they have to cheat with a glaze at the end? I think of sharpen filter as just another tool. Sure, it could be abused, but it's just another technique to learn how to use properly.
    Out of the park haha, has a nice ring to it, but you're too kind! Thank you so much.

I haven't browsed that skecthbook you mention, would you mind posting a link?

And about the sharpen tool; I only almost felt like cheating. I know it's just one of the tools we have as digital artists, but it just made the piece look so much better without any effort on my part, so I felt like I had to mention it atleast

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    nice study. it seems you widened the ribs a little but outside that this is the level we need to see...good shapes...values...and edges. you are continuing on the right track. more more.

jm
    Thanks alot Jason and more is already on the way. The right track....ahhh...love it!

Quote Originally Posted by RaliVanMinks View Post
    I totally agree, working too long on one study, ends up a bit destructive in the end,
    in the sense that you get too much in the details, and perhaps even lose sight of some
    problem areas, or like you say, get stuck.

But just like Grumpysaur mentioned about the sharpen filter being another tool, the guides
    and some other aids to measure out are really helpful, especially if you haven't gotten
    used to working digitally just yet.

It's great seeing your process on this one, ended up really great! Using a silhouette seems
    to be working very well in fleshing things out later on.
    Oh yeah I can really feel it when I should be finishing a piece, it almost gets counter productive at a certain point. I have to work on that tho, because later on I will need to be able to add much more finish to my pieces, but I also think it will come as my skill increases. Alot of the frustration now comes from spending AGES on really small things because I'm still just starting these studies.

The way I use the grid in photoshop is more for double checking shapes and locations - I don't use it when I do my initial block in. I want to improve my EyeBalling skill instead. Occasionally I'll throw in a guideline to check stuff aswell, but I do try to limit myself.

And thanks alot! Starting with a silhouette definately has worked well for me on these last studies. I switched from starting out with a softer brush and for me it's really hard to sharpen those soft edges you get up later. I think I mentioned this in your thread aswell so now I'm just repeating myself, sorry about that

I've also starting using layers and use it in conjunction with the Lock Transparent Pixels and that works wonders when you start adding details.

Thanks again everyone

Thanks
    Good to hear you aren't beating yourself up about using sharpen. It's a weird balancing act to figure out what's a good tool or what's ultimately too much of a crutch. You seem to have good intuition for these types of things.

Here's the link. It's post #761.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...tchbook/page26

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast