Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ArtfulCodger - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Thanked 11,354 Times in 2,877 Posts
    you are welcome. i look forward to working with you. don't give up on these! you are showing good progress. keep it up.

j
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Finally able to post this:
    Value Study of Dali. This work is one of my favorites from Dali just for the sheer imagination. The B&W version is not near as lovely as the full color because the juxtaposition of complementary colors is what really drives the focus for this piece originally and it seems in only assisted by value. I also love the way that he leads the eye through his composition starting at the pomegranate, through the tigers and finally leading to the figures face through her shadow where the foot brings it back to the beginning. Lovely stuff.
    Name:  value study of dali.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  61.2 KB

Thanks
    Probably the last one for toady: I stumbled across this painting by Norman Rockwell on Muddy Colors blog and was astounded at the seriousness of the painting. I always associate Rockwell with fun and humorous illustrations. This one is stark in theme and in composition. The painting is mostly monochromatic which makes the splash of red jump out.The lighting makes for a fantastic focal point also.
    Name:  value study of norman rockwell.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  56.0 KB

Thanks
    It is great that your drawings are handmade! I have tried it, and it is soo difficult to get the correct values. Are you using charcoal?

Thanks
    I use a variety of media. Usually start with a cheep mechanical pencil and I'll stick with it to lay in the basic shadow tones. Then to get the darks, I'll use either charcoal (the Da Vinci, Struzan, Cezanne above) or I'll use India ink markers (The Rockwell, Brom, Gurney & Manchess). The Dali I did with a black colored pencil and graphite. The Monge copy is the exception in that I only used graphite for that one... however I feel like the values really reflected the limitation of that media. The last study, the Rockwell, is almost entirely India ink except some white colored pencil.

Thanks
    I think that have to be very difficult to get the darks when the original painting is made with oils, because is almos imposible to get the dark of oils with a dry media like charcoal or pencil. Anyway, you are doing a great job!!

Thanks
    agreed...these are coming along really well. keep working on those shapes and values. at this rate you will get this down really well. good job.

Thanks
    I dont' care for my version of this too much but I know better than to hide my deficiency. Rembrandt's most simple compositions are my favorite. The ray of light focus and the warm dark economy in the background are wonderful. I also love the expressiveness of his portraits and clear emphasis on the face.
    Name:  value study of rembrandt.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  33.0 KB

Thanks
    couple things on the head...the hat is a little smaller in yours, and the face is a litele bigger. mainly you need to keep very focused on capturing accurate values. Ask yourself where the lightest lights are. ask yourself where the darkest darks are. Judge all the middle values off of those two and each other. Compare. Double and triple check. You will get this. You are showing improvement. Keep pushing.

jm

Thanks
    Name:  Value Study of John Singer Sargent-001.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  78.7 KB

I love the semi spiral composition of this Sargent work. The values are darkest at the focal point and the sharpest lines and contrast help to re-emphasize his composition. I especially love the choppy economy of the folds in his turban.

Thanks
    much better. the next step will be to try to capture the feeling that the light has when hitting the face, but overall you have done a much better job mapping out your values and shapes. good work.

jm

Thanks
    As long as I was a punk as affection for it still grabs me. I used to draw album covers to pass time. This was always one of my favorite for the sharp contrast and humor. Except contrast I'm not sure what else I like about it compositionally speaking. This is a Stan Winston.
    Name:  Value Study of Stan Winston.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  63.7 KB

I did this one on Good Friday, I know this is my second Dali study but this is certainly one of my favorite compositions. I love the fantastic point of view, the sharp contrast between the cross and the surrounding field of black, the balance between the economic field of black and the swirling clouds.
    Name:  Value Study of Dalis Christ.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  68.8 KB

Thanks
    nice work. there are some values on the cross and shoulders/back that could be more accurate but overall this is a very nice study. the one prior is also nice, and could improve with a little more care toward shape accuracy, like in the face for example. remember to flip the images or use a mirror to check such things. You are making good progress. Keep it up.

jm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast