Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ArtfulCodger - Composition 1.1

Thanks

ArtfulCodger - Composition 1.1

I've completed five of these so far. Here is my first:

Da Vinci's sketches have always been magical to me. I love the sculptured quality of his figures and his use of light.

let me try that again with smaller pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by ArtfulCodger; March 4th, 2014 at 04:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hopefully this will work better.
    Name:  da vinci portrait.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  96.0 KB

Thanks
    Drew Struzan, although probably a weird pic after Da Vinci is one of my absolute favorite artists. I've always loved his choice of color and the sharpness of his portraits. Not every composition is that great, a lot of them are dated and sometimes cliche but the depth of the original is fantastic. I wish I'd had access or pastels or charcoal but this one was done is just pencil. Also I was unable to print out a reference for it and had to go straight from the computer screen.
    Name:  Goonies poster original.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  79.7 KB

Thanks
    Cezanne is a favorite of mine because of his bright colors and sharp contrasts. This still life has long been a favorite because it just doesn't seem to fit in. I'm not sure if I could really pinpoint what it is about the composition that appeals to me so much.
    Name:  Cezanne still life with skulls copy.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  53.8 KB

Thanks
    Last one I'll upload today. JB Monge is not one of my favorite artists but this watercolor really caught my eye as I was browsing through Spectrum 16. I loved the light and his clear focus even in the midst of all the clutter. The drawing took far longer than our recommended time frame due to the amount of stuff surrounding him. The cell phone picture makes my drawing much lighter than the actual image. Hopefully relative contrast will work.
    Name:  monge with copy.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  114.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 11,353 Times in 2,876 Posts
    ok...a couple thoughts. first, you are doing some very nice work. you will see improvement if you slow down and double check your shape blockin before you render as you have placed the table a bit back in space compared to the original and already detailed it out quite a bit. you have to get your shape right before rendering or you will find mistakes in placement and layout and it will be too late. don't waste your work by not checking your shapes...both positive and negative. also you could benefit from pushing your value range more closely to the originals as that is something that needs immediate effort. keep it up1

Thanks
    Greg Manchess was one of the first guys that I came across in the fantasy art realm. This composition was the first one that I saw from him and it remains my favorite to this day. The coposition almost forms an X with the man charging forward. I feel like the narrative is very strong here. I also love the variables in the polar bears in mood and stature and load. Name:  value study of greg manchess.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  63.3 KB

Thanks
    Gurney is a master of light and color. Most of his copositions are extremely intricate and complex. I like this one for it's simplicity and action. I love the way that the figures jump off the page. Name:  value study of gurney takedown.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  66.0 KB

Thanks
    you have awesome handwriting...cursive. that's nearly a lost art.

the other pieces are good...and can be better if you focus on two things.

a. your positive and negative shapes...double checking them, flipping the images...using a mirror...backing away...all will help

b. your values...I really want you to focus on being very very honest about what values you are seeing. Find the lightest lights and darkest darks and gauge all the others off those. You will find areas that do not match easily enough if you do so.

keep up the good work.

j

Thanks
    I'll keep working. Thank you for the compliment on my handwriting. Sometime in college I got very dissatisfies with everything I wrote looking as if I'd written it in crayon.

For the values, I'll make a value chart tomorrow and use that to help gauge my values.

Thanks
    Brom's artwork is wonderful but I love it because of his unity in color. I didn't expect to like his work as much in black and white as much as I did. I was really impressed his use of the full range of values in this piece.
    Name:  value study of Brom 35.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  51.2 KB
    Unfortunately I laid in the definition on her muscle with my lightest gray Ink ink marker but it still wound up too defined.

Thanks
    nice job on your values...but watch the background shapes too as they are composed that way on purpose. also watch for little things like the diagonal scarring on the triceps..yours tilts differently. remember, it comes down to getting your shapes accurately as you can, then values, then edges. triple check everything.

keep up the great work.

j

Thanks
    I've been slack on getting these done, I apologize. I could make a 1000 excuses about other projects but really I've just not given it my 100%. I'm going to see if I can't put the pedal to the metal and get these knocked out. I'm highly considering doing the Level Up and need to give this more attention. Thank you, Jason for your thoughtful comments and direction. You'll see more from me very soon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast