Thanks

How do you budget money as an Artist?

In a few days, I am going to be on my own for the 1st time in my life. So looking for some tips for budgeting as an artist or art student. I get a total of 721 from SSI because i am auistic and i am working at a coffee shop by my hour is going to be very limited. my rent is 300 a month.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    SO you have maybe 250 a week to live on? Which is 33 a day. 300 goes to rent which leaves 700, how much for a month of food, clothing, other essentials, utilities like internet, phone, transportation, laundry? Whatever it is add ten percent so you have some wiggle room. Put another ten percent a month in the bank for emergencies and what you have left is spending money

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Do not plan on using money that is not in your bank account yet. If you are planning to sell art to supplement your SSI, you can't expect that anyone will definitely buy it, or that they will pay on time or anything. If you get money for a commission in advance, keep it in case you have to issue a refund.

Learn to cook, if you can't yet. You can save a lot of money if you can make even a few simple things like sandwiches and scrambled eggs and spaghetti. Also expect to have to buy some stuff to get your household set up in the first few months, unless your parents are sending you off with all the sheets and towels and dishes and whatnot that you're going to need.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Do not plan on using money that is not in your bank account yet. If you are planning to sell art to supplement your SSI, you can't expect that anyone will definitely buy it, or that they will pay on time or anything. If you get money for a commission in advance, keep it in case you have to issue a refund.

Learn to cook, if you can't yet. You can save a lot of money if you can make even a few simple things like sandwiches and scrambled eggs and spaghetti. Also expect to have to buy some stuff to get your household set up in the first few months, unless your parents are sending you off with all the sheets and towels and dishes and whatnot that you're going to need.
    Don't forget rice and ramen, they have been feeding starving artists for hundreds of years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post: