Thanks

Resources for self-taught artist? Struggle

Hi everyone! I'm new here so I thought I'd give this a shot.

I'm currently studying game development, and I want to become a better artist. Before applying for game dev, I had no art background and I have not taken any art classes. As of now, I've only seriously been drawing for one year and I've been seriously struggling.
    I practice everyday, but the problem is that since I don't have any instructions or formal training, I don't know what to study first or what to draw next. I feel like I'm studying very specific things that aren't helping my art come together.
    I'm really lacking direction and the art classes in my game development program aren't giving me the foundation that I need.

I've been looking into online classes/workshops like Schoolism and I've been searching for good art textbooks, etc. I'm scared to throw my money away, so I would REALLY appreciate if anyone who has either taken the courses or knows of any great art foundation books could help out. Big thanks in advance.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Check out the start forums here on www.conceptart.org/forums (just scroll down). There are free online workshops and assignments right there to get you going. Feedback is provided.

JM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Books:
    How to Draw: drawing and sketching objects and environments from your imagination - Scott Robertson: www.amazon.com/How-Draw-sketch…
    Figure Drawing: Design and Invention - Michael Hampton: www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-…

Online/Videos:
    The Gnomon Workshop: www.thegnomonworkshop.com/
    idrawgirls - Xia Taptara: idrawgirls.com/
    Cntrl + Paint: ctrlpaint.com/
    CGMA: 2d.cgmasteracademy.com/

Hope this helps . Other than that, feel free to take a look around the forums.
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

Thanks
    Try this one, I've been using it and I love it to death. 11 bucks on Amazon, can't beat that.

The Natural Way To Draw by Kimon Nicolaides. Basically, it mimics a regular art class by explaining traditional drawing exercises, then setting up a timed schedule for you to follow to ensure you do enough of everything.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Recommended books: "Perspective Made Easy" by Norling, "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth" and "Successful Drawing" by Loomis. That should be enough to occupy you for quite a while.

Thanks
    OMG dude you were in the same boat as me. I studied 3D animation so I can do game development course after the year, turn out that traditional drawing foundations were very important to move on and then you find out that drawing is such a loving thing to do. Creating characters or environments or whatever for your game it really helps. Love the process more and you will want to pursue it or you can use it to develop games and your ideas. Rather than wasting my message I'll just chuck this in, in case your interested, at least my 2 cents.

Bridgmans http://www.amazon.com/Bridgmans-Comp...with+bridgeman

Thanks
    Same story here Went to university, studied film and animation, realized I have 0 understanding of visual communication and have studied to become an artist since.
    I've actually made a video on fundamentals, not so much explaining them, but trying to fit everything together - how studying one thing impacts another and really trying to present a sort of sequence of studying. I propose geometry and light as the fundamentals and these unlocking design, composition etc. and enabling you to draw things from your head. Video's below, hope it helps and is what you're looking for, I definitely know what it feels like not to know where to start or what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa5FhpagCnE

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by volen View Post
    Same story here Went to university, studied film and animation, realized I have 0 understanding of visual communication and have studied to become an artist since.
    I've actually made a video on fundamentals, not so much explaining them, but trying to fit everything together - how studying one thing impacts another and really trying to present a sort of sequence of studying. I propose geometry and light as the fundamentals and these unlocking design, composition etc. and enabling you to draw things from your head. Video's below, hope it helps and is what you're looking for, I definitely know what it feels like not to know where to start or what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa5FhpagCnE
    I added the video to favorites cheers dude!!1