A piece for my portfolio. Need critiques.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A piece for my portfolio. Need critiques.

Name:  characters.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  400.1 KB

I'm trying to build a portfolio to apply to Art Center, this is the first one that I've finished. I would really appreciate some feedback. The values are a bit flat but I don't really know how to fix it, I used to do an overlay layer on top and try to fix it that way but it kinda changes the saturation of my colors... Let me know what you think, thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first of all, you're good at designing. That's a strong plus point for your work.

But your anatomy & sense of volume needs a lot of work. Perspective as well.

In each piece of work that you do you need to think about the direction of the lighting and keep it consistent as it will provide cohesion and verisimilitude in your work. Right now, it just looks inconsistent. For example, the blonde girl at the right, the way her midriff and right leg is lit shows that light is coming from the right but the way her left leg is lit shows that it may be from the left. I'm sure the shadow is probably meant to represent the shadow cast by her left arm draping over her left thigh but I'm sure it's not as diffuse as that...

If you need specifics as to why your anatomy/sense of volume needs work and how to fix it, and maybe redlines/paintovers, please let me know i'll be happy to help...

just really tired right now, maybe when I wake up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your feedback. I'd really appreciate it if you do give me the specifics on how to fix it (when you have time of course).

Additionally, would this quality of work be good enough for an admissions portfolio for Art Center College of Design? I really don't know where my level is right now... :/

Members who have read this thread: 6