StarLily - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: StarLily - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

StarLily - Composition 1.1

Greetings all:

I'm a little gun shy to post anything here, but I saw these lessons and really wanted to jump in, I'm just not sure my work is to the caliber that so many are here at CO.O. Still - I want to try this and improve and appreciate any insight people can give on the pieces I submit.

My first submission is a study of a Wassily Kandinsky painting titled "Pair to Horse". One of the things I originally loved about this painting was the beautiful splashes of color. After turning it to grey scale and attempted my study, the elements I noticed were:

The rhythm of the linear marks and pointillist marks. Instead of the emphasis being on the foreground object, I found my eye constantly resting to the center, where the lit buildings are. It would jump from that to the secondary, the couple on the horse and the tertiary, the sky and trees. There are a variety of shapes and tones and the economy of the black spaces help to pull the couple on the horse pop out more. With the linear lines and how the marks were made, it truly does add movement to the water, building and trees.

Name:  kandinskystudy1-1_starlily.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  127.5 KB

The longer I worked on this, the more I realized the artist must have started with a dark undertone and painted the light brush stroke on top. I attempted to do the same with this image, but had a difficult time thinking of shading the piece from dark to light rather than light to dark.

I know there are so many proportional issues here - but I was trying to limit the amount of time spent on this. I did learn a lot from this process and look forward to my next study which I hope to post soon.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,000 Times in 2,566 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    very nice start on what is a deceptively challenging image. Keep a closer eye on your edges...the sharps and softs...as they are half the battle with this piece.

keep it up!!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you sir for your reply and advice! I was having a hard time trying to achieve the hard edges with the brushes I was using. I'm definitely going to look more into finding the right brushes for certain textures and hard/soft edges. I can't wait to start my next study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't feel shy about posting if I were you, as long as you can take constructive criticism you'll do great. I'm not half as good as so many of the people here, but then I'm just in the starting stages of really bothering to LEARN, rather than just do. Everybody's been so nice, and very helpful to me, I'm sure you'll find they will be to you too. And you're off to a great start I think, that does not look like it would have been easy to paint, I'm pretty sure I'd have made a massive shambles of it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emily Estelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super start starlily! That painiting is a really difficult one, so many precise marks to deal with but you did a great job. Don't be shy, remember we are all here to learn, just listen to Jason and work hard then you will be see improvments in no time. You have the first one done which means you are on your way!

Members who have read this thread: 10