Sketchbook: Ladislas wants to improve ! sketchbook page
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ladislas wants to improve ! sketchbook page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ladislas wants to improve ! sketchbook page

Hi everyone, i'm totally new on this place. I'm stocked to see that there is so much people over here helping eachother, that's really great.
    I really want to be part of it and share/learn with all of you. I'm always so much impressed when i watch images, illustrations of digital painting. I wish someday i'll be able to create some of these stunning images and express myself with drawing.
    So here i am, my name is Ladislas, i'm French (appologize if i'm doing mistakes with english, still progressing. I used to draw when i was a child, but i stopped more or less years ago , i'm not sure why. I've done some visual communication at school and work "freelance" in this area.
    Like 1 year ago i started to feel bad and limited in my Art. I suddenly understood that my drawing skill was not developed and i wasn't able to draw a character from scratch, or it would suck a lot...
    SO i started my journey to become a better artist, to become the artist i want to be. I started to draw again and learn to paint by myself watching youtube tutos and doing studies of several things.

My goal: be able to draw and paint like pros.
    My problem at the moment: i don't feel confident in creating stuff from imagination. ( i know it's mostly cause my skill level from imagination is lower than when i do studies and i know this is normal, i feel i need to expand my visual library )
    What i need ? I need you, i need people to give me tips, critiques, advices, i don't want to be alone on this long journey, and i'm sure it's always better to be surrounded by artist and exchange with them.

So here's the place where i will post my stuff, you're welcome in this place.
    THANKS to all the people that will help me on my journey, i'll do my best and also try to share my vision on other people sketchbooks too.
    LET'S GO :
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2013-10-29 à 20.08.24.png
Views: 365
Size:  168.0 KB
    Name:  light-and-shadow-studies-value-shading.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  370.5 KB
    Name:  Dexter-tributeframingpost.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  647.7 KB
    Name:  lone rangers paintingcloudsV2.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  613.3 KB
    Name:  Lone ranger night vision D.painting post.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  139.2 KB
    Name:  B-ilandscapepainting.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  533.9 KB
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2014-02-25 à 10.02.18.png
Views: 308
Size:  99.0 KB
    Name:  colorlineartsinixweb.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  297.9 KB
    For this one i only done the color , the lineart is from sinix who made a great tuto that you can watch here if interested.

Last edited by LA10; February 26th, 2014 at 07:09 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here are a selection of some stuff i was doing for the past 8 month i guess, it's mostly some studies to learn fundamentals and learn how to paint, shade, ect and also bodies:
    Name:  baobabsunset-Dpaintweb.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  422.8 KB
    Name:  skull-2post.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  597.5 KB
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2014-02-26 à 10.52.08.png
Views: 295
Size:  214.5 KB
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2014-02-26 à 10.52.37.png
Views: 295
Size:  161.0 KB
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2014-02-26 à 10.52.54.png
Views: 291
Size:  129.0 KB

Last edited by LA10; February 27th, 2014 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i took reference image from http://maryas.deviantart.com/ who does great job. I loved her B/W photo of this boy with a great contrast i though it would be a good subject to train on values

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LA10; February 27th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, hum seems i have some troubles with my post , don't know really well how to post images the good way. Even got some troubles with double posting... these things will fix with time i guess. I keep my journey, posting things from here and there, the B/W boy is a study i've done with reference, i think i like to paint portraits with reference, i've tried to let many brushstrokes appear on this one , i will post some other with less strokes later.
    I've also done a few things from imagination( like on the painting with fish) and some drawings of figures. Will keep on posting stuff so you can see more clearly what type of issues i'm facing if you want to help ( that would be ggrrrreat haha)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some new studies of faces i've done the past week, i've tried to make some quick studies of values on some painting by Rembrandt. I also done some few painting that are more "achieved" ( and more long to paint 2/3 hours min) ). If your haves some tips, critics that could help me going in the right direction, i would be glad to hear some advices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone, i'm uploading some new stuff i've done these days. I've worked on values in black and white and "tried" to do some landscape tutorials. I feel i have a lot of room to improve on both of these 2 things. in fact i'm more confident when i deal with value studies of people, i've tried to draw sculptures of masters ( Le Bernin )to grasp some things and contemplate great stuff. I think sculptures help me to see volume more easily even if i've painted it from a photo. What do you guys think about them ? if you have some critics i would love to read them.
    I've also tried to paint landscapes , and wow , it's difficult, i'm not confident with dealing with perspective. I also have problems to stylise and sum up in a simple graphic way some elements like houses... Also got some issues on materials/ textures. As you can see my details are just scratchy lines that constructiong forms... Pretty "amateurish" ( but i have to learn the tips and secrets) i still don't know how to use my brush well to have to good effects. ( dealing with opacity and size) If you have tips for me , i'm totally open and be grateful if some of you can give me a hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new studies from the previous days , some few landscapes and a portrait of an old man something i rarely doing cause the skin is more complex to paint for me. I apologize for this brazilian beach which is not very nice haha, the image is too big and it didn't turned in a good way. Name:  indian-portrait-value.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  105.0 KBName:  steve-mccurry-india.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  72.1 KBName:  brazil-beach-value.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  173.3 KBName:  value-studies-landscapes.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  617.4 KB

Kono is offline Level Up - All Access Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya,

The portraits are tough but I think you are already making progress.

Sketchbook .....critique always appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kono, thanks for your comment, it's a long way to be able to reproduce reality is in a believable way. But i keep on working on it.
    Here's another portrait i've done this weekend. It's a portrait of my sister viewed from the side.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, looking good so far. When working from photos, you should try to simplify more. I think you're "drawing" in too much and defining unnecessary details, such as the individual hairs in the latest portrait. Are they really important? Many of the most excellent painters and draftsmen did well without such detail, and so can you. Especially in the "old man" portrait, all the folds in the white cloth that are barely visible in the photograph are drawn with as much definition as the important parts in the face. I think less would have been more in the clothing. Please don't take it bad way, I respect the effort, but the charm in drawing lies in the simplest statement possible of both forms and contours. Work towards it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi RK, and thank you for stopping by my scketchbook. I'm really glad you took the time to give me some advice and tips on my work , don't worry . I'm here to learn so i will never take any offense for constructive critics like the one you wrote. Actually i'm looking for it a lot cause it's gonna help me way more than doing my stuff and figure out things that i don't see on my own...
    You're right about the details, i'm always looking for them and i think i really need to learn to draw in the right order : I try to paint with more big shapes that in the past and then refine and finally add details. I'm gonna try some new one following your advices and see how it goes. Again, thank you for taking the time to write me some advices i really appreciate.
    Hope you'll stop by again on my sketchbook to give me your thoughts on my work.

Here is a portrait i've done a week ago ( before some advices about managing details . For those who like music like me, i'm a big fan of "Incubus". I will do some other portraits soon.Name:  portrait-BrandonBoyd.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  233.9 KBName:  BrandonBoyd.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  91.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've done some new studies of sculptures heads. Still have to work on the proportion and drawing in general. I've tried to focus less on details, it's a try, it's seems "blurry" now but i guess if i mix blurry strokes with some hard brushes on specific details it could work better. I'll give a try
    Name:  portrait-2roman21mars.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  134.8 KBName:  screenshot2.jpg
Size:  209.8 KBName:  portrait-roman21mars.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  128.0 KBName:  screenshot1.jpg
Size:  82.7 KB

My Sketchbook : Ladislas wants to improve ! sketchbook page (critique is welcome)

Kono is offline Level Up - All Access Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In post #12, first image, the neck seems a bit long and the face flatter (cheeks smaller and too high).

Nice studies.

Last edited by Kono; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:18 AM. Reason: too many typos
    Sketchbook .....critique always appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you are doing great! That hair on the profile of that chick is goooood. Any tips? ive been struggling with hair in general. Ive tried to follow the whole 'Treat hair like a mass rather than draw the individual strands' thing, but im not sure if it working.

Your last portrait was good - just some critique, you could take advantage of the cast hard shadow on the nose from the brow and the hair on the forehead to give more form - Just a small thing To be honest i was looking at it for ages trying to find something to feedback to you about

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kimonas, thanks a lot for your reply man, i really appreciate. We're learning similar type of things so i guess we can help each other.
    My tips on the hair ( or the way i do it ) would be to paint with large brushes at the beginning only dark/grey value for the base of your hair and then add some smaller brushstrokes to it always in the direction of the hair following the curves of the global mass of the hair. And i do it a few times refining more and more and adding some more light values to the hair. Then at final i use a hard brush and a color that will represent the light. For this step i try to stay fluid in my strokes to give the hair some fluidity.
    Thanks again for your critique, i see many mistakes in the last portrait, trying to be less stiff in the painting i think i was using too much hard brushstrokes and i wanted to simplify more my portrait but keeping some right proportions... That's hard for me.

How do you approach the first steps when you paint ? Always using the soft brushes ? with some opacity or not? i'm using an oval brush and for now i got some blurry style on the whole picture, but i'm sure it will solves by itself if i'm working on it.
    Got some graphic work to do at the same time but i will post some new studies this week, i have to !

My Sketchbook : Ladislas wants to improve ! sketchbook page (critique is welcome)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your reply too Kono, i'm glad you appreciate my studies, i see many mistakes in them but we're all in the same boat, and the most important is to see and correct with time and practice. You were absolutely right for the neck and cheeks, i'm gonna correct this and repost it with corrections ! Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent start for a sketchbook! Love the basic form/light studies in the first post. You seem to have weakness with perspective and grayscale but you're already working on that. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn! Some great studies here! Good job, man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Sketchbook. I like the value studies and master studies, stuff like this helps very much to build a solid foundation. Looking forward to your next works!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    had the time to do anotherb/w study of roman bust ( i like to do them i think it's a period and also it's a simple way to focus on forms and values and learn them). I worked on this on for 1H30/2H i think. This time i took some some screenshot at different steps, so you can see how i proceed. ( we can see that i like to draw first and then paint, i see my mistakes in the drawings, i tend to make mistakes on proportions size of the eyes and ears + cheeks are the thing i struggle the most with.
    The next time i'm gonna try some girls to change a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ladislas

Nice new post! From your screen shots, i think i use a similar technique to you. I use i diamond brush(I like the hard edges)for shading. I do an accurate sketch, fill this with a full opacity hard edged brush then use a layer mask to isolate the shape. Then use about 50-80% opacity big brushes to lay in main shadows/shapes then smaller brush as i go along. I do mistakes and occasionally have to go back a step - Its all about practice.

Im really trying to work on stroke economy - i hear its important for becoming a masta.

What do you do?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kimonas , thanks for your comment, yeah i'm trying like you to paint less , but i make mistakes so i add some other strokes to finish the painting. I tried another technique ( not the 1st time i used it but not too familiar with it) . I did the drawing first like the other technique but i painted directly without filling the mass of it with a hard brush. Don't know if it worked better, i know i struggle more with a real photo ( and this time it was not on the screen it was from a book so i think is was harder for me). I would like to have a painting with less strokes but for now i don't know where to put each strokes and sum up each shapes into few strokes ( i guess it 's a common problem for beginners/intermediate levels...) I'll keep on drawing and painting and i'm sure solution will come. I don't know for you , but now i'm starting to use more brushestrokes without "diameter dynamic on" it can be a good way to put less strokes.
    Here's my new study for today: if you guys have advices to help me i'm open to critics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one i had the time to do today. Greek statue to change the mood of the day. I tend to struggle on the size of the eyes, mouth, nose ... the eyes are always to small or too big, the mouth is also something i often miss. Would you have tips to help me with that ?

Last edited by LA10; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today i had the time to do 2 new studies , not so long ( 1H15/30 i think ) trying to put less strokes and play more with brushes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back in the game ! I wasn't able to post some new stuff cause i was traveling for like 10 days... So it's now time to get back to work on my plan to be a good painter and draw better! In this post i'll post a self-portrait tree-quarter view that was tricky for me , still have problems with proportions on it but i'm more happy with the strokes i've tried to put less strokes , now it's a kind of blurry stuff but i need to find the right balance of sharp and blur on faces. My second painting was done this morning (after the break i took) so i'm getting into it again , maybe i'm a little bit rusted now , i'll train to catch up this sensation.
    Maybe you have some ideas or advices you could share to light the good way to improve. All i want to do for now is just practice on values and try to get better on my drawing/painting skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a little piece of advice for you. If you want to avoid messy and visibly overlapping brush strokes you should set the control of the flow to pen pressure and reduce the general flow.
    Matt Kohr from Ctrl+Paint made a few very informative video tutorials on this subject.
    http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/brush-control-basics
    http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/opacity-vs-flow

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much Tiggeraz for your tips and links , i'm gonna watch these videos , i'm sure this is a part of the reason why i struggle cause i see so many people who don't use any opacity of size jitter, i'm not too familiar with that, thanks again for the link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude,

Did a cheeky paintover! :>

Just - try and push your darks and lights a bit more.
    Get some shadows to the main mass also - so its not floating.

Didn't change the facial structure too much, but its something you might need to study more (Me too!) - to get more facial symmetry going Andrew Loomis all the way!

Hope that helps.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kimonas for your tips and version of the study. When i compare the 2 versions , i can see that i should have put some more highlights and dark values just to feel more the character in 3D like you've done it in your version. It's something i don't see just after working on it, but a few hours or days when i see it again i clearly see what was missing. I didn't bought yet the Andrew Loomis book but i've checked it quickly on the web, i think i'm gonna buy it soon cause it seems that most part of the good drawers studied it Will put some over try later in the week.

Members who have read this thread: 71