Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
I chose to start out this assignment with Portrait of Marten Looten by Rembrant. I decided on this piece first because of the high contrast between the background and the lighter colored face and cuff on the clothing. I thought it would be a good piece to start from. Also I wanted to try digital media as I have much more limited experience in the media.
very nice start.
a couple things....
a minor issue is your collar seems a little big.
the bigger challenge to tackle is getting your values more accurately blocked in. Your jacket is a bit dark and the light on the paper in his hand seems a bit strong, for example...or the light in the lower left corner is strong in yours. Make a pass at this and adjust your values. that will help a lot.
nice job getting the overall shapes in there. solid.
Hello Ebonylizard, good luck on your artistic journey!
I agree with Jason, great work on the block-ins
I do think your work will look better if you add some interest in your large black shapes, notice the grey tones on the man's right sleeve?
Also, your values seem to be a little bit off the greyscale, what program do you use?
Thank you for the critiques. I agree with the collar being too big and the coat too dark. Adding some more grey tones to the jacket sounds like a good idea.
Also Jeff, I used Corel Painter for this. I used the black and white mixer to help pick out the colors. It looks greyscale to me though. Could it be my screen?
Here's my second assignment. This painting was done by John Sargent and titles Lady Agnew of Lochnaw. This one was certainly a difficult one for me with all the folds and subtle shifts of value in the dress. I noticed I had some difficulty getting the right value shapes in the dress and in some other areas such as above her left shoulder. I ended up leaving out some of the patterning on the chair and the wall due to running out of time. But I would like to go back to it and make adjustments and add in those patterns.
I worked on the first study a bit more, trying to match the values better and work on some of the shapes.
Try flipping the images upside down and working on them from that view. You see shapes just fine, but seem to bog down on things once you start looking at them like figures or people. Remember it is all abstract shapes with edge variations on them. Double check your mapping out of shapes and check all your positive and negative shapes. Also flip it horizontally. I think if you do this you will see these improved a lot.
Jason, thank you for the suggestion. I tried working more upside down and flipping the canvas horizontal as well. I'm going to keep doing that with more studies to see if it helps me improve.
This next study I did is Vladimir Stasov by Ilya Repin. I found it to be a beautiful portrait and a good example of brush economy. The jacket and background is rendered with minimal brushwork while the focus of the painting, the face, is rendered in much more detail. Also I noticed that the left eye of the subject is a point of focus while the right eye is in shadow.
Looking great! The second and the third are both looking way better in terms of interest. Your third painting also has a huge jump in quality of the face. Keep flipping the canvas whenever you hit the faces, it seems to be working rather well .
I'm not very Corel savvy, still learning that one myself... so I can't help you much with that sadly.
It could also be my monitor that shifts the colors a bit? 't is of no matter! I think value is most important, and if the colors appear fine to you then all's well.
Good going, as Jason said; watch the shapes, throw them in and then refine them in some passes.
Thank you for the comments. It is nice to see that I am making some improvements as I go along. I'm also feeling a bit more comfortable using the digital media and my tablet.
I have considered at some point getting a color calibrated monitor. Though that won't be for awhile. In the long term it might be a nice thing to have around I felt, so I can make sure the colors I am painting are accurate.
My fourth study is another Sargent painting and one I have seen several other people do as well. I felt it would be an excellent one with practicing faces. It also have lovely brush strokes and excellent rush economy to it. The contrast between the dark face and the lighter clothing was something that attracted me to this piece.
Here is my 5th study. A painting titled Death Dealer by Frank Frezetta. This particular piece was quite enjoyable to study.
You are doing great with your values. Your mapping out of the positive and negative shapes needs to improve right away. You can do that just by slowing down a bit and double checking all your shapes. Flip horizontally and vertically before you start rendering, and check all the big shapes. Keep up the great work.