Sketchbook: Sketchbook of AdaptableSimon
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sketchbook of AdaptableSimon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook of AdaptableSimon

Last edited by AdaptableSimon; 1 Week Ago at 11:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here's one of my latest works just to kick things off! It we from this little sketch to a full digital painting.

Name:  Original Pencil small.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  177.5 KBName:  Sci-Fi Fighter small.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  76.8 KB

Last edited by AdaptableSimon; February 24th, 2014 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here's what I've been working on currently
    I've been having some trouble with the values and I just need to know what you think of it, also if you see anything else off then let me know! ps she will have hair, and some sort of helmet maybe? Thoughts?

Name:  Space 2 Screen.png
Views: 131
Size:  192.3 KB

Kaidok is offline Level Up - All Access Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First things first, the initial painting is really good. I have to say the top half is a bit better than the bottom, mainly because the legs look a little flat, in terms of value, while the top half looks awesome. It almost looks like you painted solid light on everything above the knee and then forgot to paint the light on the boots. It could be an attempt at a different texture, more of a matte finish, but even then it needs a little more light.
    As for the second painting, it is coming along but there are two things that stick out. The chin and the far shoulder pad. I not really sure what is going on with the chin, I think maybe you have shadow on the underside, but in any case it looks like there is a solid piece of armor or something running along the underside of the neck and chin, which looks a little strange. Maybe try some reflected light on the under plane of the neck and chin to create some form. As to the shoulder pad, you have a tangent, which is killing the depth, and it's proximity to the chin looks a bit cluttered. Maybe you could try lowering it a little, so there is a clearer silhouette. But these are only suggestions.
    Keep up the good work.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaidok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaidok View Post
    As for the second painting, it is coming along but there are two things that stick out. The chin and the far shoulder pad. I not really sure what is going on with the chin, I think maybe you have shadow on the underside, but in any case it looks like there is a solid piece of armor or something running along the underside of the neck and chin, which looks a little strange. Maybe try some reflected light on the under plane of the neck and chin to create some form. As to the shoulder pad, you have a tangent, which is killing the depth, and it's proximity to the chin looks a bit cluttered. Maybe you could try lowering it a little, so there is a clearer silhouette. But these are only suggestions.
    Keep up the good work.
    Thank you for the advise. I highly appreciate the critique. I've made some edits and added more detail. How's it looking now folks?

Name:  Space Screen 2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  88.1 KB

Kaidok is offline Level Up - All Access Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. The separation of the shoulder pad and chin is better, so great work there. The chin neck/chin still looks a little strange. I did a little paint over on the head, just so I could figure out why it still looks a bit odd. I think the problem is the back of the head is a bit big, and there should be a bit of under plane on the chin. I also moved the shoulder pad again, only because if you moved the head like I did you would run into the same problem as before. Sorry if this is stepping over the line, but I was just trying to help.
    Note - I wasn't sure if you wanted her looking back over her shoulder, which is what it looks like, so that is the way I went with it. Sorry if that was wrong.

Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaidok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaidok View Post
    Nice. The separation of the shoulder pad and chin is better, so great work there. The chin neck/chin still looks a little strange. I did a little paint over on the head, just so I could figure out why it still looks a bit odd. I think the problem is the back of the head is a bit big, and there should be a bit of under plane on the chin. I also moved the shoulder pad again, only because if you moved the head like I did you would run into the same problem as before. Sorry if this is stepping over the line, but I was just trying to help.
    Note - I wasn't sure if you wanted her looking back over her shoulder, which is what it looks like, so that is the way I went with it. Sorry if that was wrong.
    Hey thanks again man! The paint overs are definitely a big help, and not over any line. You were right about the shoulder piece being too flat as it was. The head is still tricky for me. I'll work on fixing the head up today. I do want it to be looking over her shoulder as you said. You've been a big help. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made lots of changes, and this is the first time I've painted colour in overlays like this. I took all the advise and made edits and worked hard. In the end I just went with my gut and finished it off for now. Here we go!

Name:  Space Girl Small.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  71.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So now I have two projects on the go; you can see the attached pictures below. I know the body on the first one is a bit thin but I'm trying to make that effect. Please give me as much critic as you can in my following posts. There's probably not much in these ones but feel free to voice yourself, I only have one set of eyes so every comment really helps out! I might not get anything more done on these until mid week but it's a heads up of what's to come!

Name:  Girl 3.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  308.1 KB Name:  Girl 2.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  379.8 KB

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Report a bug! Request a functionality change/improvement here.

Interested in getting your artwork featured? Private message me the thread link for brief review. Only artwork posted on CA.org are accepted. Quality applies.

My Sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to David Ahmad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on past works
    Name:  Girl 2 Screen.png
Views: 46
Size:  79.5 KB

I abandoned the other two haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is what I am currently working on. Image is a few days old, I wish I had posted more progess, it's been really fun Name:  Knightess Shot 1 small.png
Views: 41
Size:  316.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally finished! I need to work on my art flow because I always start, lay everything down, leave it then come back a day later refine then wait a few more days and finally finish off. Please give me feedback! This was all painted on one layer then coloured in another plus some flat refining after colour.

Name:  Future Knightess Smaller.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  146.8 KB

Members who have read this thread: 23