Thread: What happened?!

Thanks

What happened?!

I just came back from a very, very long dry spell of not making nearly any art at all, and I gotta say, where did everyone go??

Back when I first joined (2009-11), there was a ton of traffic on this site with immense talent around every corner. Now it looks like the weekly events see nominal participation (I mean, what happened to the DSG, PERIOD?) and there just isn't that much going on in general with less active Sketchbooks and all that. It kinda saddens me to see so much greatness seemingly just leave. Am I missing something or is this place not nearly as hyped up as it used to be?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,815 Times in 724 Posts
    CA has had a few lengthy down times last year which would account for the overall lack of activity around the site. Some people got frustrated and haven't returned while others still do not know if the site is back up yet. There are still a few hiccups that need to be cleared up, issues being sorted and improvements being made.
    Will Hand has stepped down as a mod for the DSG due to other obligations, I don't think anyone else was found to take over for the group just yet, so it's on a hiatus at the moment.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Life happens. People move on, around, stay. To other things or forums. C'est la vie. People acting like it's the end of the world are ignoring the raw numbers and how life works.
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

Thanks
    I don't think that people are ignoring the numbers. The fact remains that this forum was once a hive of activity and now it is struggling to maintain it's place amongst the affections of the art the wider community. As has been covered previously, a part of that is the result of disagreements amongst the powers that be, but I think that you also have a point, life does take over, people do move on. The frustration comes from knowing that in today's social media world a place like CA is going to have a hard fight attracting, and retaining the attention of the younger audiences coming up.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    The number are slowly creeping back up now the forum is stable. You might not have noticed, but it's sort of returning to what it started out to be, a place to learn and improve.

Thanks
    I think that the focus should be on what the community can be rather than what it was.
    I remember back in 03/04 how busy this place was and how encouraging it was to be a part of a community that was so passionate about what they did. Let us aspire to be more than we are.

Thanks
    I am in a similar boat... I was away for a long time, not for any problem with CA but because of you know, life. Had no idea what the nature of the problem was until I read the right posts a few days ago. Honestly I think the new interface feels more familiar than not.

Anyhow, knowing what's up, I will make an effort to contribute more and lurk less.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CCThrom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Our traffic and participation are all up right now, and moving back to the levels that it was prior to the hacking. CA is not the only one that has seen changes happening. Imaginefx, cgsociety and the others are all seeing changes happen as people spend more time on facebook. I just did an interview on imaginefx about that, as they are seeing it too. We have stuff we didn't have then, like Level Up, which is helping a lot of artists and we are going to continue to release new features, and new stuff that helps this community.

Thanks
    Wow, I'm kinda wondering what happened here as well. Seemed like I was just a little bit busy offline and CA's format completely changes on me. Not that I'm complaining though, this format is oddly intuitive for me. Well, here's to the community, eh?
    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great to hear that those who have stayed throughout the time I've been gone are seeing an increase in activity. Even though I've never really been deeply involved in the community, just being around it and seeing the drive the people brought to it had been a great inspiration for me. Let's hope that continues to live on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to spoonfruit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've only recently started posting back here after a pretty long hiatus (so there's an increase of 1 person at least!) and while it is certainly a different site from what I remember, some things are still very much the same. Sure there's less traffic now than a few years ago or whenever, but the quality of a community counts for something as well, and I'd say CA has one of the best

Thanks
    I haven't been active here lately on account that I simply got bored with this. In addition, I'm making music now. On the other hand, I would like to get back into doing serious study. Oh, and I don't like the new design personally.
    The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.
    Nintendo Network ID: FightingSeraph