Sketchbook: My Sketchbook v 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Sketchbook v 2

So I started a sketchbook a while ago - not even sure where it is now! But it wasn't really a sketch book in the sense that I wasn't knuckling down to doing serious study... Several months later and I'm realising I'm a baby when it comes to 2d and there's so much to learn. This is cool, I'm having fun and enjoying the learning and the challenge. I'll make a link on my bookmarks bar this time around so I can always find it. They should make sketchbooks part of your profile...

Anyhow, the plan is to pick a scene from a movie - any movie, pause it and spend about 1-2 hours painting it - no colour picking. Mostly trying to learn about colours, lighting etc... so I don't expect I'll get much likeness for any actors I paint. I'll do this until I get better - or it gets boring... so far it's just so much fun!

First post - Contact - she was pretty dark - and I didn't get much likeness in there but it was fun and interesting. Thank God for digital painting though with layers/colour corrections etc... Pretty sure I wouldn't have fared so well if I was doing this in acrylics or oils. Props to the trad artists.

Name:  contact large_resize.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  163.6 KB

Last edited by lovingit; February 25th, 2014 at 03:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another colour study - 1 hour or so - no colour picking.

My favourite scene from the original Arnold version of Conan. Conan has just met Subadei (not sure about the spelling) - they have the conversation about whose god is the greatest and then cue music and montage as they run across Hyboria... there was just something wonderful and free about those 30 seconds of film making. The freedom to run boundless... travelling a vast land. I wish the world were smaller One day I'd love to visit Mongolia and see the vast spaces of nothing that still exist for us.

Anyhow - was concentrating on colour - amazing really how many different colours I could find in the sky...

Thank you.

Name:  Conan&Subedai.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  183.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last one for the day...

Name:  Tyrion.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  192.8 KB

Tell me what you see. You see a dwarf...

The first time I realised that Tyrion was going to be an amazing character - one of my favourite speeches in GOT.

I didn't think I'd get any kind of likeness in an hour or so but I think it has promise so I may work on it some more. Was just trying to study the colour - actually all of these are just colour studies - trying to vary my range and understand why things work the way they do. One thing is very interesting is that colour doesn't do what you think it will do... ho hum.

Last edited by lovingit; February 24th, 2014 at 07:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At last... ever since I first saw this I wanted to relive the moment.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Magic.

I spent a little longer on this one about 2.5 hours I guess... had dinner in between. I'm not sure I really got the values nailed. I found it very challenging. There's way more going on here then I first thought. He's got blood and some random blue paint on his face - and then the lighting... tres difficile pour moi! I discovered something interesting towards the end. Like I started approaching it from a trad perspective. Putting down individual strokes one at a time like you might do if you were working in oils or acrylics... it helped me find where to go after I'd hit a sort of midpoint hiatus.

Name:  bladerunner_resize.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  138.4 KB

Last edited by lovingit; February 25th, 2014 at 03:53 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lovingit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work mate, inspirational stuff.
    I like how you made the first one. And the others are awesome as well!

I remember those chow designs in your portfolio video

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks it's fun!

Akira Kurosawa - Seven Samurai. Quick values study. One of my favourite movies - I don't think I quite got the 'look' right - that - thousand words in a glance thing that Japanese actors seem to be able to pull off and the likeness is kinda sketchy. I'm struggling with that last 5%. Maybe someone can help me out here but how do you get that? Just practice until one day it happens?

Name:  7 Samurai 1_resize.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  186.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying out some new brushes... He's not looking his prettiest in this picture so I just threw away any notions of trying to get a decent likeness and just tried to concentrate on getting a feeling of rage and movement across. Not entirely successful but not entirely awful either... THOR SMASH!

Name:  Thor_resize.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  221.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick sketch for tonight... chrome samurai

Name:  Chrome Samurai_resize.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  111.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was my sister's birthday - so a quick portrait - maybe 3 hours or so - didn't want to get a drumming about how it looked nothing like her!

Name:  My sister_resize.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  104.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Film study enders game - I need more sci fi environment stuff so best way is to study some sci fi stuff...

Name:  enders game_resize.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  240.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got a nice sense of color and perspective, dude. You seem pretty solid in anatomy, though I'm not sure it seems quite as strong as the other two. I would like to see some figure studies or gestures from you!

Great stuff, though! Really great job, just keep it up.

Jesus saves from the power of sin!

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks - I am just working on colour at the moment - that's actually my weakest link - oh and doing non organic stuff like vehicles and stuff ouch... so I'll be hitting those mostly for the meantime. One can always spend more time on figure studies and gestures of course and frankly I love that stuff so I'm sure I'll bounce some of those out at some point!

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colour study of my wife... I feel like I managed to make some progress on this one... about 1-2 hours.

Name:  sinead.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  151.3 KB

Last edited by lovingit; March 2nd, 2014 at 02:18 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lovingit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful portrait of your wife. You captured the emotion very nicely!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just having fun today...

Name:  lunicc_resize_resize.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  166.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi , nice sketchbook , I like the subte color varation in the shadow side of #13.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! It's cool you started a SB here, I wanted to comment on your stuff but I'm not a big fan of DeviantArt.

I think you're doing great with the color studies, specially in the Game of Thrones and the Blade Runner paintings. I must've watched that Blade Runner scene a million times already and I can say you've nailed it! You're improving your rendering a lot even if you were focusing on colors. For example Roy Batty's face and the book Tyrion's reading have extremely interesting brush strokes, a very lively feel that I had found lacking from your previous work. I also see this in the painting of your wife (she's a very pretty lady, btw!) but in that one I think you're using way too much white for the highlights.

I see you're starting to understand what paint behaves like, but I suggest you try painting with real paint. I know it's messy but it'll help you understand color even further, and will translate in your digital paintings being more alive and interesting. It forces you to have a really solid grasp of color and light, since you can't "cheat".

Hope to see more from you in the future, keep rocking it!

Shoulder to the wheel, my friend!
    My sketchbook - Harsh critique always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya, yeah ive heard some negative press about deviant art. I'm kinda on there by default... As in I didn't have any other ideas about what to do with my artwork. There's actually quite a lot of industry pros on there amongst the teenage manga fans. Its a good benchmark for me to see what's out there and how far I need to go.

Thanks for the compliments about my work and my wife !!! I think the big difference is going straight to colour. But its a long journey... Which is good. I like knowing that I'm only at the beginning!

I'd love to get back into painting again... Ive tried most mediums in my time, from airbrushes to acrylics, gouache etc... But oils were my favourite. The problem is that I'm just renting an apartment in a ski resort so there's not much in the way of space. And its not like there are art studios around here that I could share space in! Hopefully I'll move to a city soon and ill definitely get back to it. If only to knock out some extra income through selling oil paintings on the side.

Last edited by lovingit; March 7th, 2014 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You... you live in a ski resort? You're the luckiest man in the world!

I think DeviantArt is a cool place to see other people's works (there are lots of amazing artists there!) but I don't think it's a good place to talk about art. I don't feel comfortable saying anything beyond "nice!" because on that site the smallest nitpick comes across as extremely rude.

Real paint is so messy! But I'm really glad I picked it up. I'm pretty messy myself by default so when you add paint to the mix... well, I don't think I even own any everyday clothes that don't have at least some oil on them! Setting everything up to start painting is tedious. I hope that when I get a house of my own I'll have a proper studio where I can leave the stuff overnight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think DeviantArt is a cool place to see other people's works (there are lots of amazing artists there!) but I don't think it's a good place to talk about art. I don't feel comfortable saying anything beyond "nice!" because on that site the smallest nitpick comes across as extremely rude.

Real paint is so messy! But I'm really glad I picked it up. I'm pretty messy myself by default so when you add paint to the mix... well, I don't think I even own any everyday clothes that don't have at least some oil on them! Setting everything up to start painting is tedious. I hope that when I get a house of my own I'll have a proper studio where I can leave the stuff overnight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work in here. I envy your deft color usage. I may have to steal your movie still frame exercise for my own betterment Keep it up, I'll be taking notes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina2342 View Post

Hahaha - the grass is always greener on the other side (a common english phrase) which basically means things always seem better elsewhere. You might be shocked but I didn't even bother buying a ski pass this winter. I've been too busy working hard on my art plus my wife dislocated her shoulder very badly a couple of seasons ago (skiing!) and it's not so much fun skiing by yourself! To be honest it's a very strange life up here in the mountains - there are very few people who live here year round so it's very quiet most of the time - and then for about say 2 months of the year (a month in summer and a month in winter), it get's totally crazy!

I think you are right about Deviant Art - it's definitely not somewhere to learn about art.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZii View Post
    Very nice work in here. I envy your deft color usage. I may have to steal your movie still frame exercise for my own betterment Keep it up, I'll be taking notes.
    Thanks - it's not even my idea - I don't know where I read it but apparently it's something that Craig Mullins does so why not try it eh?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  SecondComp3_resize.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  256.5 KB

Haven't posted any sketches recently because I've been busy with the diablo 3 contest

Here's an idea that I never had time to finish - I was going to entitle it 'the grind' and basically the little goblin would be recording the barbarian's level up progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook! I really like the 6th painting, especially what you did with custom brushes and texture... looks very cinematic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi. A nice collection of studies here, definitely agree with the comments about your use of colour and capturing emotion. I think you should look at how Renoir uses colour and texture, he is a master of loose brushstrokes, light and emotion. I think your chrome samurai is a great idea and design but the rendering looks like a matt finish rather than chrome, again check out Haime Sorayama (NSFW!) he has some awesome shiny robot ladies.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
    Hi. A nice collection of studies here, definitely agree with the comments about your use of colour and capturing emotion. I think you should look at how Renoir uses colour and texture, he is a master of loose brushstrokes, light and emotion. I think your chrome samurai is a great idea and design but the rendering looks like a matt finish rather than chrome, again check out Haime Sorayama (NSFW!) he has some awesome shiny robot ladies.

Hey thanks - Almost got in trouble with the wife after looking at Haime's work - it was a WTF?! It was a quick sketch but I may re-visit it to improve the chrome effect I did entitle it Chrome Samurai after all!

Oh and thanks for the tip to look at Renoir - man he's way beyond me! I've been looking at some LePage stuff because it was brought up during one of Manley's colour theory classes.

Such a beginner so much more to learn!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if this is good enough to be a portfolio piece so I'm sticking it here in sketches... The other one with the spaceship I'm more happy with but it's a bit dull. I feel like I need more impact in my work.

Name:  Indigenous Life2_resize.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  244.4 KB
    Name:  Recovery Small.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  189.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Grim_resize.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  136.8 KB

Speed paint - about 30-45 minutes I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Raul-Julia.gif
Views: 301
Size:  921.0 KB

Portrait of Raul Julia I drew for one of my critiques today. It's kind of like the art scouts good deed of the day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just an update of what I've been up to...

Name:  dragongate.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  200.1 KB
    Name:  The Hunt_resize.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  233.9 KB

A study of my niece Rosie - it's her birthday soon so plan to get it framed.

Name:  rosie_resize.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  110.1 KB

WIP of my valkyrie pic.

Name:  Valkyrie Final_resize.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  151.8 KB

34. The Following User Says Thank You to lovingit For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 21