Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: My Sketchbook v 2

Thanks

My Sketchbook v 2

You're supposed to put your latest work as the first image? I guess to get people to look at your sketch book? So here's what I've done most recently:

Name:  amazon.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  53.7 KB

I titled it amazon - it started as a colour study from a photo by someone called dave bellemere I think? Not sure - anyhow I added some embellishments... The full version is on the latest page.

So I started a sketchbook a while ago - not even sure where it is now! But it wasn't really a sketch book in the sense that I wasn't knuckling down to doing serious study... Several months later and I'm realising I'm a baby when it comes to 2d and there's so much to learn. This is cool, I'm having fun and enjoying the learning and the challenge. I'll make a link on my bookmarks bar this time around so I can always find it. They should make sketchbooks part of your profile...

Anyhow, the plan is to pick a scene from a movie - any movie, pause it and spend about 1-2 hours painting it - no colour picking. Mostly trying to learn about colours, lighting etc... so I don't expect I'll get much likeness for any actors I paint. I'll do this until I get better - or it gets boring... so far it's just so much fun!

First post - Contact - she was pretty dark - and I didn't get much likeness in there but it was fun and interesting. Thank God for digital painting though with layers/colour corrections etc... Pretty sure I wouldn't have fared so well if I was doing this in acrylics or oils. Props to the trad artists.
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; March 4th, 2015 at 05:50 AM.
    SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelvin Liew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  contact large_resize.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  163.6 KB

Another colour study - 1 hour or so - no colour picking.

My favourite scene from the original Arnold version of Conan. Conan has just met Subadei (not sure about the spelling) - they have the conversation about whose god is the greatest and then cue music and montage as they run across Hyboria... there was just something wonderful and free about those 30 seconds of film making. The freedom to run boundless... travelling a vast land. I wish the world were smaller One day I'd love to visit Mongolia and see the vast spaces of nothing that still exist for us.

Anyhow - was concentrating on colour - amazing really how many different colours I could find in the sky...

Thank you.

Name:  Conan&Subedai.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  183.6 KB
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; March 4th, 2015 at 05:51 AM.

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Last one for the day...

Name:  Tyrion.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  192.8 KB

Tell me what you see. You see a dwarf...

The first time I realised that Tyrion was going to be an amazing character - one of my favourite speeches in GOT.

I didn't think I'd get any kind of likeness in an hour or so but I think it has promise so I may work on it some more. Was just trying to study the colour - actually all of these are just colour studies - trying to vary my range and understand why things work the way they do. One thing is very interesting is that colour doesn't do what you think it will do... ho hum.
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; February 24th, 2014 at 06:23 AM.

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    At last... ever since I first saw this I wanted to relive the moment.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Magic.

I spent a little longer on this one about 2.5 hours I guess... had dinner in between. I'm not sure I really got the values nailed. I found it very challenging. There's way more going on here then I first thought. He's got blood and some random blue paint on his face - and then the lighting... tres difficile pour moi! I discovered something interesting towards the end. Like I started approaching it from a trad perspective. Putting down individual strokes one at a time like you might do if you were working in oils or acrylics... it helped me find where to go after I'd hit a sort of midpoint hiatus.

Name:  bladerunner_resize.jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  138.4 KB
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; February 25th, 2014 at 02:53 PM.

LIVESTREAM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelvin Liew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice work mate, inspirational stuff.
    I like how you made the first one. And the others are awesome as well!

I remember those chow designs in your portfolio video

Thanks
    Thanks it's fun!

Akira Kurosawa - Seven Samurai. Quick values study. One of my favourite movies - I don't think I quite got the 'look' right - that - thousand words in a glance thing that Japanese actors seem to be able to pull off and the likeness is kinda sketchy. I'm struggling with that last 5%. Maybe someone can help me out here but how do you get that? Just practice until one day it happens?

Name:  7 Samurai 1_resize.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  186.5 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Trying out some new brushes... He's not looking his prettiest in this picture so I just threw away any notions of trying to get a decent likeness and just tried to concentrate on getting a feeling of rage and movement across. Not entirely successful but not entirely awful either... THOR SMASH!

Name:  Thor_resize.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  221.2 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Quick sketch for tonight... chrome samurai

Name:  Chrome Samurai_resize.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  111.7 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    It was my sister's birthday - so a quick portrait - maybe 3 hours or so - didn't want to get a drumming about how it looked nothing like her!

Name:  My sister_resize.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  104.2 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Film study enders game - I need more sci fi environment stuff so best way is to study some sci fi stuff...

Name:  enders game_resize.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  240.8 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    You've got a nice sense of color and perspective, dude. You seem pretty solid in anatomy, though I'm not sure it seems quite as strong as the other two. I would like to see some figure studies or gestures from you!

Great stuff, though! Really great job, just keep it up.
    Jesus saves from the power of sin!

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Hey thanks - I am just working on colour at the moment - that's actually my weakest link - oh and doing non organic stuff like vehicles and stuff ouch... so I'll be hitting those mostly for the meantime. One can always spend more time on figure studies and gestures of course and frankly I love that stuff so I'm sure I'll bounce some of those out at some point!

Thanks for looking!

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Colour study of my wife... I feel like I managed to make some progress on this one... about 1-2 hours.

Name:  sinead.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  151.3 KB
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; March 2nd, 2014 at 01:18 PM.

LIVESTREAM

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelvin Liew For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast