Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Aw thanks Sir Kenneth! It's nice to get encouragement

Anyhoos - Worked on a commission today - 4 characters from D&D - the guy who commissioned me had specific descriptions on their gear, appearance, personalities etc... but was more relaxed about the situ... what a dream commission! I ended up doing 2 comp choices.. one a bit more dynamic, the other one bog standard but clearer.

Name:  comp1 values_resize.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  437.4 KB

Name:  comp 2 values_resize.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  290.1 KB

I don't normally go this far in black and white as I know I have to colour it up anyways and I end up painting everything over twice - but it was such a nice subject matter I just got stuck into the painting... sucker I can say one thing for sure, painting in grey scale is hugely easier than painting in colour. The only problem is of course taking it from a nice greyscale into a nice colour painting
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; May 21st, 2015 at 04:42 PM.
    SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So the client wanted the second comp and I've been busy rendering it up... lots of anatomy corrections here and there which I'll address tomorrow.

Name:  D&D FULL Colour wip.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  817.4 KB

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    I love checking up on your work dude, your paintings are always full of life and texture! The girls armor is looking real good in the first colour render. A suggestion for the composition though, maybe putting the cliff on a slight tilt to the right instead of straight up would make it even more dynamic. Other than that its an awesome comp of characters, that cliff is scary though! Your hard work will def pay off, with the way you're posting.
    >Sketchbook<

On a quest to improve!

Thanks
    That's a good spot Inkem - I've pretty much done the painting now... me and the client are just going to sit on it for a couple of days - if anyone spots anything or has any suggestions for improvement I'd love to hear!

Name:  D&D small.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  881.1 KB

Spotted - tangent with wyvern and the elf cleric's foot... think I need to expand the canvas a little bit to the left and bottom to give both more space.
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; May 20th, 2015 at 01:30 PM.

LIVESTREAM

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelvin Liew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi. Can I ask, what is the story to your last piece? I really like the composition, although as you've pointed out the canvas is a little tight on the left. Is the dragon important to the scene / client brief? I hate myself for suggesting it! but maybe you don't need it? If you do need it maybe one of the characters could be looking at it in a more obvious way, to connect it with the overall image? I look forward to seeing it finished.
    Sketchbook
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Hey - yeah, it's an illustration from an adventure. The client is the dungeon master and the 4 characters are his friends who he's been playing with for the past year or so. He's really into D&D.

Anyhow yeah the Wyvern should be in there but not in a main focus kinda way - they're just in the background as the characters are climbing the mountain so they're not supposed to be super excited about them as in the adventure they weren't an immediate threat. The character with the red cloak has some dragon blood in her and dragons and their kin are drawn to her so she's the only one really paying any attention. But basically the characters are just thinking - well the wyverns are there but they're not going to bother us, kinda in the way maybe if you see a vulture or an eagle you're not thinking - he's going to come down and tear my face off! BUT then they eventually DO attack the party which is part of the whole revealing how the girl is attracting dragons to her etc...

I may turn her head more but the problem is that the client needs to see her face so it's a sort of compromise at the moment. I'll actually need to stick another Wyvern in there! Talk about a crowded comp

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Wowww the armors are great, I really like 'em. The faces need some work, but you're probably aware of that. The lady with the red cape feels oddly out of place. Once again the way you rendered the clothes and armors is very impressive. Wp

Thanks
    Hey walkingbar - thanks for dropping by and the compliment and suggestion about the faces - the red lady has been a bit of an issue but I think I'm done with this now - a few things left that I'm not 100% happy with, but I don't want to overwork this. Repainted the red haired woman's face with reference because it was totally annoying me!

(edit - made some lighting consistency tweaks and also added some radiosity)

Name:  D&D FULL Colour v2 small.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  894.6 KB
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; May 22nd, 2015 at 03:16 PM.

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Updated my concept for the old apothecary CHOW challenge... I'm calling this done right now. I'm always meddling with things... have to have the confidence to say no!

Name:  The Old Apothecary v3.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  637.3 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Great take on the apothecary...she's got alot of character. I bet she's got an herb to cure pretty much anything

Thanks
    Really diggin all the texture in your work. Great job.

Thanks
    Ended up here from looking at the CHOW challenge.

I feel stupid but I just have to ask: did you paint the face on the alchemist lady by hand or is there photobashing involved? It just looks so awesome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dndallasta View Post
    Ended up here from looking at the CHOW challenge.

I feel stupid but I just have to ask: did you paint the face on the alchemist lady by hand or is there photobashing involved? It just looks so awesome!
    Hey dndallasta - thanks for dropping by and for the nice compliment. No photobashing - it's not allowed on CHOW but I've been doing quite a lot of portrait practice recently. In this one I used a couple of references. I can't paint anything without ref!

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Hi, just wanted to say I'm loving your sketchbook. Your consistency is very motivating. The Apothecary lady is a great design. I also think the repaint of the red dragon elf woman in your DnD painting really works. Keep up the great sketchbook!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pecadillo View Post
    Hi, just wanted to say I'm loving your sketchbook. Your consistency is very motivating. The Apothecary lady is a great design. I also think the repaint of the red dragon elf woman in your DnD painting really works. Keep up the great sketchbook!
    Hey thanks buddy - always great to get some sunshine

So - I saw this cloud the other day from my balcony and thought DANG, I gotta paint that - but having an over active imagination it of course meant painting it with a space ship... some block meshing with 3dsmax - just cos I hate trying to draw straight lines with my 3inch bamboo and photoshop's line tools duh... I think I might get rid of the stars because they're a bit cheesy-O... but otherwise comments and crits welcome.

K

Oh I called it 'The Return of The Ambassador'

Name:  The Return of the Ambassador Small.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  647.9 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    3D, photobash and painting... The War Begins...

Name:  The War Begins 2.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  1.23 MB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Nice stuff lately

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pindurski View Post
    Nice stuff lately
    Thanks man - same with you too - I've just been doing a couple of block mesh type paintings is all... I've always done 3D work - but I guess I'm just trying to show my range...

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Dude, great work on the D&D commission! Each character has a lot of, erm, character. Great work!

Thanks
    Cool man! The cloud study with a spaceship thrown in (#135) is actually a great idea -- it exercises observation and the visualizing brain parts at the same time! I'm definitely going to have to try that.

My only crit for that piece and #136 is that I think you have rendered everything in the images to the same level of detail, so maybe if you play with some lost edges with looser detail in certain areas, you can better draw attention to your subjects of focus.

Anyway, good stuff!

Thanks
    Thanks peeps - quick sketch for today -started off in imagination and probably got about 95% of the way when I had an epic art rage and had to grab some reference to fix her face lol - only joking but it was an interesting exercise... No idea what's happening with the legs- I had a plan and then it went out of the window.

Name:  woman laughing small.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  105.5 KB

Edit: (Slight update to resolve the leg area - wasn't happy with the positioning and anatomy.)
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; May 31st, 2015 at 07:22 AM.

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    hey dude, post 136 looks really tight man! The composition looks hot! Keep it coming!

Thanks
    Thanks Kimonas

So just a quick PO I did for some dude on level up... and a quick GOT study. I'm now going to watch the latest episode - HURRAH!

Name:  asian PO small.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  439.5 KB

Name:  daenerys small.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  395.2 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    That paint over is slick, showing the plane angles while keeping her looking soft and feminine. Good ol' GoT, I look forward to sundays now. What do you think about them deviating the show from the books?
    >Sketchbook<

On a quest to improve!

Thanks
    Hey inkem... well I never read the books myself so I don't have on opinion like 'oh this isn't right blah blah'... for me it's all good entertainment.

My brother in law has read the books and he thinks it's great that the books and show are parting ways - this means he can continue reading the books and not feel like he's getting loads of spoilers on the show which he also enjoys.

I guess this would be my take on it too!

Not entirely happy with her face so I might come back to this one... it was just a quickie but you know - if she's not 100% right people know

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    I've been sitting on this painting for a month now - but finally gave it to my friends as their wedding present so I can post it up! Note to self - need to get some nice white cloth or something instead of a towel AND a better camera. Just used my crappy nexus camera

Name:  in life_resize.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  253.6 KB

Was trying to get in lost edges, and mess about with different colours and just well... try to make it a proper painting as opposed to a photocopy.

LIVESTREAM

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelvin Liew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    An illustration for an upcoming game that's well... about battles, strategy and armies. Love my job!

Name:  Splash Page Small_resize.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  332.8 KB

Edit: Just noticed that the phalanx appear to be kneeling down - which isn't a complete disaster as they could be sheltering behind their shields from the arrow storm... but I should really have them marching forward so I'll fix that tomorrow.
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; June 8th, 2015 at 07:34 PM.

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    That's a beautiful family portrait, the colours and textures give it a warm close feeling! Btw the phalanx doesn't look bad at all, I've seen illustrations where they're kneeling since they dont have full body sheilds. Marching could be more dramatic though.
    Last edited by Inkem; June 8th, 2015 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Concept art keeps deleting my comments ;_;.
    >Sketchbook<

On a quest to improve!

Thanks
    Agree on the portrait. Looks fantastic. How long did you work on that? (and feel silly for asking, but is that digital or traditional?)

Thanks
    Just found your stuff and it's awesome. really good stuff
    INSTAGRAM"Know yourself. Express yourself. Master yourself."
    Sketchbook - Color 1.1 1.2 - Composition 1.1 1.2 - Drawing 1.1 - Illusion

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast