Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EnemyDesigner View Post
    Love your sketchbook lovingit, I want to mention one thing on the girl with the deits tshirt; the girl's face in the first light passing looks more appealing to me than the one in the 2nd pass.
    You're right! I only noticed it when you mentioned it. In correcting her proportions I'd made her a little masculine. Here's a PO of my PO! lol

Name:  touch up small.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  239.8 KB

- - - Updated - - -
    SKETCHBOOK / PORTFOLIO / ARTLORDS / ART STATION / DEVIANT ART / FACEBOOK

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Based on a PO I did for someone... sorry can't remember the name but the PO is still up at the mo. I decided to extend the theme. About 8 hours all in I guess... I didn't use any reference as an exercise to see how far I could go with it.
    Name:  Dragon Queen 3 small.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  608.0 KB

Oh and if you want to watch me paint live I recently got introduced to this thing called picarto TV... It's nice to do art and share it - if you have any questions it's great to talk too! I'm painting pretty much 12 hours a day so you'll most likely find me - unless I'm eating

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    I really enjoy your paintovers.
    Are you gonna upload the one you did on the Dredd drawing as well? I think you did an excellent job at elaborating your points there.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=315593

Thanks
    Hey Tiggeraz, thanks - I'll post it up. I keep all my critiques. It's interesting for me to go back and see new things.

Name:  cat_eyes_corrections.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  450.4 KBName:  girlPO.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  337.5 KBName:  JudgeDredd-PO2.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  560.8 KB

Oh and I've updated my Dragon Queen lady thanks to the crits from the critique section that spotted any number of ways it could be improved. Thanks to the community.

Name:  Dragon Queen 4 small.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  782.4 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Made a bunch of tweaks to my dragon lady - oh and found some time to do a photo study of a desert fox... jedi so much fun!

Name:  Dragon Queen Small.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  779.3 KB

Name:  Desert Jedi Small.jpg
Views: 3650
Size:  783.9 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    The fox is super adorable. Great job on the tension and light.

Thanks
    Thanks!

Did a study today - grab from camp x-ray took about 3-4 hours - trying to work on my blending and a likeness. Took longer than usual but she's got a hard face to paint and it doesn't really look like here, but I think I learned a bunch...

Name:  Study.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  765.8 KB

LIVESTREAM

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelvin Liew For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your paintings are really awesome and I like the use of your lighting! I think the dragon lady piece could be a lot stronger if you had defined what is supporting her torso it looks like her arms aren't giving her enough support because even though you have her elbow on the side of the chair she is leaning towards the dragon and although she has her arm on the dragon the shoulder on that side is not raised enough to demonstrate weight. hope that help!
    Animation Student - Toronto Canada
    >>SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Dude, thank you for stopping by! I really love your desert jedi! My crit would be to pay more attention on construction of female heads. Keep rocking!

Thanks
    Hey Kamikazel - thanks for stopping by. I didn't quite get what you meant? I don't suppose you could be bothered to do a PO? Sometimes I get brain freeze on an image!

Hey Zombie - thanks! I remember stopping by and having a look at your sketchbook. Female heads - tick love drawing women so I'll defo be doing more studies on that.

Here's something I just 'finished' it's in crit - I want to push it some more so I'll call it WIP for the mo.

Name:  Spidertank Light corrections.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  856.7 KB

It's for the killer robot challenge but I think that's over - just my luck, a day late and a dollar short

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Derpy sketch... was trying to do a background for a piece and ugh... it was totally the wrong feeling!

Name:  lady in the lake.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  587.8 KB

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Oh so this is what I wanted to do instead of the lady in the lake lol... trying to get more dynamic feel to my work. Something that Craig Mullins said in an interview really struck me... technical excellence isn't as important as what you want to express. I've noticed that whilst I've been working on my technical skills, my story telling as an artist has been falling behind.

Name:  No Fear Small.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  592.5 KB

Piece is entitled 'No Fear' - took about 8 hours...
    Last edited by Kelvin Liew; April 24th, 2015 at 11:39 AM.

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Excellent. Nice work!

Thanks
    I seem to be developing a style to my brushwork... bugger knows how that happens. It's not intentional and actually I'd prefer to be rougher.... weird.

Name:  portrait practice 2.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  357.4 KB

Portrait practice... yes the reference had elf ears. Don't ask me why or how she stuck them on but she likes being an elf I guess... I'd do it myself but being Chinese I think I'd look weird

LIVESTREAM

Thanks
    Sorry for not responding to your request for the PO, I was a bit caught up with school. I am not to familiar with painting or too good with Photoshop(I mostly draw traditionally) so the best I could do was very sloppy photo manipulation that roughly gets the point across. There is a lot of subtlety to a human figure as it poses to balance and hold itself. the character in the image is sitting yet you can't tell what is supporting her body, so having her shoulder raised where she is balancing her torso on the dragon demonstrates that there is weight being applied there. and since she is twirling her hair on her right side she would probably have her head tilt towards that action. This creates a C curve in the pose giving it a more natural feel. looking at the fix I think I should of pushed the pose a little more but I hope it conveys the idea I was getting to.

Another thing is that it seems like you might be skewing the head forms a bit, by having less cranial mass for head proportions.

I think you will benefit a lot from doing more drawing, and cafe sketching people, watch and see the everyday mannerisms of people and the thousands up thousands of different ways a person could even sit down in a chair. There is always this subtle difference between ways people sit and depending on their personality.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Animation Student - Toronto Canada
    >>SketchBook<<

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast