Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Thanks
    MikeWest: Thanks, the latest piece in your sketchbook has a killer composition. Can't wait to see how it turns out if you decide to finish it. Also, glad to see you on Sketchlab, that new forum looks promising.

Krane: Thanks a ton Krane, haha I'm glad you're pointing out the consequences of studying only one artist. It would be my dream even to become a watered down Jia, that would be a great place to build up my own style and voice from. How's the Peak book so far? Would love to hear more of your thoughts. I'm right there with you, I've been procrastinating a ton lately when I have a couple thousand master studies lined up to do.

iven: Thank you for stopping by, I'm glad we both can appreciate each other's styles even though they're different in many ways. I'd love to hear your thoughts about how you use your art therapeutically and the psychology behind the process of making art.

--

Sorry I've been away for a few weeks, spent a lot of it on gaming since I felt like I needed a little break. I've used the idea of deliberate practice in Heroes of the Storm (beautiful game) and was able to become one of the top 100 players in North America. I'd give up gaming and movies in a heart beat if I could make art non-stop, but it feels like my brain needs breaks and distractions to learn properly. I have a ton of new master studies and sketches, but I feel like they're just not that interesting to see. So here's a piece I've been messing around with, trying to apply what I've learned about environments.
    Name:  26.1ss.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  146.1 KB

Here's a fun fact, since the original resolution was about 30k x 25k, Photoshop had to save it in a "new" .psb file just to handle the size. I'm abandoning it though since the composition feels stiff and I'd rather start a new piece instead of repainting the whole thing. The one thing I can take away from this failed piece is how vital composition is. Thanks for looking, I'll post again once I have a new painting.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Man, I wish I was a beginner

There's some seriously good stuff here. You seem to have found an effective path for learning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shoebill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 763 Posts
    First i thought the dragon was a rock.
    That could be a good or a bad thing

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow you've done so much amazing work since the last time I checked this out! Very impressed. And you're in the top 100 players of HoN in NA, dammmnnn not sure if your art or that is more impressive I seriously need to do some master studies as you suggested before because your improvement really is sick. Good job man!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Man, I just don't understand how you go in super rough with your colours and strokes and keep working at it like a block of clay until it becomes more refined. Its like its a video game and at the beginning its set to the lowest resolution and shittyest textures and its slowly being brought up to 4k and a hi-res texture pack.

Its really cool, man.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Fraser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi ubem, I just got to say that you have an incredibly inspirational sketchbook and philosophy towards improvement. I actually purchased Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise yesterday and I love it.

I was actually thinking of copying art from artists who I aspire to be as good as before I heard about the book. I was just worried that it wouldn't do anything in terms of helping me improve. Now, I realize that's exactly what I should have been doing all along. I actually saved a Tony Robbins quote that I think is relevant; "If you want to be successful, find someone who has achieved the results you want and copy what they do and you'll achieve the same results."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IioiI For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @shoebill: Thanks for stopping by, yeah deliberate practice, putting conscious effort into my weakest areas have been a huge breakthrough. In that regard I'm a beginner hehe, your output is looking awesome thus far, keep it up!

@Tiggeraz: Sounds like a bad thing, thanks for the valuable feedback, I'll need to make my large forms more readable next time around. Love the colors you're using lately, and the subject matters are crazy creative as always, hope to see what's next.

@Dennis: Thanks a ton, I'm glad the improvement is noticeable hehe. Ah yeah, not new earth but heroes of the storm, which I peaked a while ago. I try to stay away from it as much as possible and try to be one of the top artists instead xD. Master studies are the bee's knees when combined with a clear goal of what you want to get out of a study. The recent ones you've done are stunning, I can already see the jump in quality in edges and colors in your work. Good luck with the schoolism class, can't wait to see what you pull off next!

@Chris: After watching the graphics load in Overwatch, that's exactly the process that inspired me to go that route haha. Thanks for the kind words, if there's enough interest I'll post some time-lapse or progress gifs since it's visually similar. Loving your latest character designs, hope to see you push them even further. Keep up the great work!

@lioil: I really appreciate you stopping by, comments like yours really inspire me to post and share on sketchbook forums. Yeah, I had the same hesitation about copying other artists before jumping head first after digesting the principles in Peak. That Tony Robbins quote is spot on, I think we're fundamentally all the same when it comes to inborn "talent", the only difference between a 'noob' and a 'pro' is the amount of deliberate effort put in. Can't wait to see you next pieces, those character designs are already looking fantastic. Thanks again!

--

Sorry for the late response, it's just I had nothing original to show for a while. I've been focusing on studies, trying to learn how to paint landscapes. But here are a couple fun test sketches to find out what I'm still weak at; I've found my lack of a visual library is holding me back the most, along with not having the motivation to "finish" a piece, and macro-compositional values.

I'm also only showing some of the best pieces out of dozens of failed sketches done over the past month. So I've decided to upload most of my bad sketches on google drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...ld3QWhGVm03Q2c
    I've always wanted to see what an artist's journey looked like but it was impossible to find. Hopefully, this is an effort for a more transparent and open art community.

The pig and environment sketch I might be abandoning since I figured out what I needed to study next after analyzing them. The last piece is an Eytan Zana study, learned so much about rendering grass.

Name:  58.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  128.2 KB
    Name:  31 - Copy.jpg
Views: 2630
Size:  122.8 KB
    Name:  66.jpg
Views: 2619
Size:  115.2 KB

Hope to post again soon, thanks for viewing!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dang Ubem, thanks for sharing your studies, I see a lot of artists who only share the good work or the final results, and for me, the process is much more interesting and valuable.

What were the most important things you did to get better results? I saw you did Sam Nielson course, you felt a big difference in your paintings after that?
    With your experience, what you recommend for beginners to do and not to do?How old is your "Old Art" file?

Sorry for the over questions, but I enjoy so much your paintings and I want near results in the future, thanks again!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PedroGon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by PedroGon! Agreed, watching an artist's progress is so satisfying and insightful.

The most impactful thing to improving was applying deliberate practice; Or in other words, being critical of my weakest areas and doing exercises to improve on them.

I only saw a couple videos of the Sam Nielson course online and tried one of the exercises, but I didn't feel I improved much after that though. Doing studies of sculptures and then trying to recreate what I've learned was much more beneficial.

For complete beginners, as in people who never drew in their life, I'd suggest maybe look at a ton of art and try to find what style and genre you can fall in love with, and then deconstruct the things that make it good. Then try to implement those things into your personal work, or do straight up copies. It's hard to advise against anything since many paths lead to Rome, I guess for those serious enough I'd say try to avoid quitting permanently. It's fine to take weeks or month long breaks, especially if you're really burned out. Because for those who really want to dedicate their life to art, you'll be spending several decades to the craft, so a few months is barely a blip on such a big scale of time.

I'd estimate the earliest works are from early 2015, but it's such a jumbled mess so it's hard to tell, sorry about that.

Love the questions, I'm constantly thinking about these things and it's nice to type them out and share when I can. Your latest designs are a lot more confident than mine, great work on that so far. You'll surpass me in no time with enough practice, keep up the great work!

--

I don't have any ink pens, let alone a camera to post Inktober sketches. But I really want to participate since this is a perfect way to practice quick designs. So instead, I'll start my own poor man's Paintober. I'm starting early to test the waters and want to get an idea of how far I can go before burning out while doing studies on the side.

My goals for Paintober are to become a little faster and improving my design sense. Doodling from imagination is surprisingly easy compared to the grueling master studies, but I think the biggest difficulties are going to be the limited time to render and lack of a broad visual library.

Here's day negative 2
    Name:  Paintober day -2.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  199.6 KB
    Ouch, this looks really ugly. I'm uploading it as small as possible to hide the unholy lack of edge control, going to have to work more on brush economy. I got a lot of great feedback on my last environment, and the biggest issue was not zooming out enough, resulting in a terrible unreadable thumbnail. Hope this is a better attempt, thanks for looking!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry in advance, there's going to be a lot of bad art since it's only day 2/33 of Paintober. And I'm toning down the complexity due to the time limits. The pose and anatomy feel off in this one, I hope it works compositionally at least. I also miss working on a piece over the period of weeks, I feel that's where my best results come from.

Name:  79.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  269.0 KB

Thanks
    I can feel the burnout creeping in, I was starting to miss it.

3/33

Name:  82.jpg
Views: 2477
Size:  100.8 KB

fixes
    Name:  79.1.jpg
Views: 2461
Size:  345.0 KB

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ubem View Post
    I can feel the burnout creeping in, I was starting to miss it.
    Time to bust out the caffeinated tea for a pick-me-up.

Failing that, crystal meth. 🤔

23. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the great idea Diamandis. Ironically it's hard for me to find meth or heroin in the south side of Chicago. Guess that's the downside to being an art hermit.

--

I learned that starting a piece with a drawing instead of blobs of color saves hours. With that technique, I feel I can make it through the month. Finishing this one early, want to get it off my plate to do more studies. The lack of likes on these makes it surprisingly motivating to push the quality and get better.
    4/33
    Name:  84.jpg
Views: 2420
Size:  104.2 KB

*This is going to be my last post, but I'm still going to continue the Paintober challenge since I'm learning a lot. I'll only upload to the google drive folder. The quality of these paintings is just too low to update regularly, thanks everyone for looking!
    Last edited by ubem; October 2nd, 2017 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks
    I'm glad to work on something for more than a day. This was also a great way to build my mental stamina. Looks like I need to practice my perspective more.

Name:  91sf.jpg
Views: 2261
Size:  172.9 KB
    Name:  89.jpg
Views: 2229
Size:  267.1 KB
    Last edited by ubem; October 15th, 2017 at 06:41 AM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dang that's preety dope,your color and painting skills are really starting to evolve,maybe try to catch up to that level with you drawing(like you mentioned:perspective and form are a tad off)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to GrayPersona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    GrayPersona: Spot on, great point about drawing. I've spent the past month doing just that, thanks for the suggestion.

--

Hey everyone, sorry It's been a while since I've posted, mostly due to not having anything worthwhile to show. This past month I've focused mainly on traditional drawing, studying photos, creating my own designs, and practicing perspective forms. I feel like these are my weakest areas compared to color and lighting.

It's been almost 4 years since I started to take art seriously and looking at my work now, I'm disappointed with my lack of progress. On the other hand, I've only been applying deliberate practice for half a year, and within that time frame, I think I've improved a bit. At which rate, I'm hoping to be at a professional level within the next year or two.

I also bought into the iPad hype from other artists and got the latest iPad pro with Procreate, it's fantastic. But painting on it feels twice as slow compared to my desktop, at least it's great for reading and the occasional doodle.

Here's a WIP I've been dabbling with on the side. It's giving me a lot of headaches and frustration, which is great. But it's not half done yet, my last painting felt too rushed toward the end, so I'm taking my time with this one.
    Name:  113.30.jpg
Views: 2123
Size:  96.3 KB

And a GIF of the process, you can see its hideous beginnings. (too big for CA.org)

Here's ugly concept art for a sci-fi game I did with an indie team. My visual library and design sense is pretty undeveloped, and I'm struggling with figuring out how to improve in that area.
    Name:  117.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  153.9 KB

I keep forgetting to post these, here's a compilation of studies dating back from August. I miss doing these so much that I'm considering to forgo studying drawing altogether.
    Name:  118.jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  262.0 KB

I hope to post more often, looking back at everyone's support and encouragement is vitally motivating. Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by ubem; December 30th, 2017 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    HEY wow you have done a lot of great work, yeah support and encouragement is motivating.
    I agree, just don't post any cartoons with moral lessons or caricature stuff. People might feel very
    irritated if your objects get's eyes and legs, they don't care about the moral lesson. But you're not
    going in that direction, so nothing to worry about. Thanks for your visit in my sketchbook, very appreciated.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to iven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Iven: Thanks for keeping up the posting of your work, it's inspiring me to maintain a level of consistency. The critics in your sketchbook are probably trying to help but misunderstand your art and goals. I hope and encourage you to keep spreading the positivity. Your art definitely has an effect on people, it can be seen in your Youtube videos' comments. I must commend you for taking those negative experiences and then being able to create positive and motivating art from that, that's the most productive thing I've ever seen, and I'm confident it will help someone else down the line in the future. I've also been listening to your mad hang skills for the past hour, you have some very beautiful creative abilities. Please keep sharing your work!

--

It's been a while since posting, and I've had a few realizations since then. The biggest one was how to maintain energy when doing hard work. It all comes down to maintaining glucose levels in your brain through managing eating to maintain sufficient blood sugar levels. I.e. eating more food more often. This is probably painfully obvious to most, but I always assumed it was just my scumbag brain being lazy. I've since been able to kick gaming and procrastination for good. Excess calories literally turn into motivation and energy.

I got my first unsolicited job offer through Artstation, but I turned it down. I don't feel like my skills are there yet and it would distract me from deliberate practice. I don't really care if I make a living from art, my only desire in life is to improve so that I can create better and more beautiful art.

Been mostly working on drawing and building a visual library, I underestimated how vital it was to painting, especially from imagination. Knowing how to draw something before trying to figure out how to paint it saves 80% of the time spent running around in circles.

Nothing finished or portfolio worthy, just using these to identify and work on weaknesses:
    Name:  113.47s.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  148.8 KB
    Name:  18.7s.jpg
Views: 1744
Size:  128.6 KB
    Name:  58.2s.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  316.9 KB
    Name:  41s.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  254.1 KB
    Name:  Untitled-1s.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  401.1 KB

Thanks
    Iven: Thanks for keeping up the posting of your work, it's inspiring me to maintain a level of consistency. The critics in your sketchbook are probably trying to help but misunderstand your art and goals. I hope and encourage you to keep spreading the positivity. Your art definitely has an effect on people, it can be seen in your Youtube videos' comments. I must commend you for taking those negative experiences and then being able to create positive and motivating art from that, that's the most productive thing I've ever seen, and I'm confident it will help someone else down the line in the future. I've also been listening to your mad hang skills for the past hour, you have some very beautiful creative abilities. Please keep sharing your work!
    Oh wow THANK YOU SOOO MUCH
    I will my friend, thank you for seeing who I am behind this screen, I am glad I came back to
    read what's going on now, your post really touched me it made my day.

May the forest be with you

Thanks
    @Iven Glad it helped!

--

I may have been doing too much deliberate practice at the expense of creating things I enjoy and would put in my portfolio. That's because it never feels like my skills are good enough, maybe they are, maybe they aren't. What I do know is that I'll keep striving to improve even if it means never working as a professional artist, it's that fun.

The biggest drawback to this lifestyle is the lack of friends to confide in. For it seems the mind focuses and obsesses best in utter solitude.

Here are a few contest doodles, and a few gestures from imagination:

I may have been doing too much deliberate practice at the expense of creating things I enjoy and would put in my portfolio. That's because it never feels like my skills are good enough, maybe they are, maybe they aren't. What I do know is that I'll keep striving to improve even if it means never working as a professional artist, it's that fun.

The biggest drawback to this lifestyle is the lack of friends to confide in. For it seems the mind focuses and obsesses best in utter solitude.

Here are a few contest doodles, and a few gestures from imagination:

Name:  68.4s.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  187.8 KB
    Name:  6N1.5ms.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  142.5 KB
    Name:  3.2hdms.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  139.4 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  146.1 KB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  268.7 KB

Thanks
    Inspiring level of dedication Ubem! I really love seeing how deliberate practice is making a huge impact in your brain. Your art now is so much more skilled than the start of the thread. You're doing everything right behaviourally. If you keep this up you'll be astonishing in a few years.

Right now I think my main critique of your current art is that your poses and figures seem a little stiff. They're rendered well, but the line of action and weight and balance seem rigid. Remember you're painting semi squishy things that have to work to counteract gravity. Its okay if this isn't a priority for you to work on now.

I love your work. I'll be sure to return to this thread.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonny Dark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Jonny Dark Thanks so much, so glad there's improvement. Hopefully, I can continue deliberate practice for the next several decades if not a century. Awesome critique, I completely agree! Drawing fundamentals have definitely lagged behind the painting fundamentals haha. Your technical illustrations are crazy good, wish to reach your level of drawing one day.

Started taking commissions which covers travel expenses to Detroit and LA. Going to check out Art Center to see if it's worth the crippling debt haha, and will take a workshop with Vance Kovacks (the coolest name I've ever seen) next week. I've learned that making a living doing art is surprisingly doable.

I've also figured out why I want to make art and the effect I want to have on the audience. It boils down to creating art that quiets the mind, allowing one to take in a moment of beauty in our busy lives. Now my main goal is to break my brain through deliberate practice everyday until this body dies.

Lastly, been pretty active on sketchlab.org because their user interface and ease of uploading is so modern and far more comfortable to use.

Here's a huge art dump, mix of studies, personal work, and commissioned art:
    Name:  5.49ss.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  170.3 KB
    Name:  5.30s.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  141.0 KB
    Redoing entire composition and gesture:
    Name:  5.75s.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  179.1 KB
    Quick portfolio for character commissions:
    Name:  faces2s.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  227.3 KB
    Studies for personal piece and commisions:
    Name:  f16s.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  159.3 KB
    Name:  9ss.jpg
Size:  190.9 KB
    Name:  f12.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  231.0 KB
    Name:  f11.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  270.4 KB
    Name:  f13s.jpg
Size:  253.9 KB
    Name:  f14.1.jpg
Size:  255.5 KB
    Name:  f17s.jpg
Size:  190.8 KB
    Name:  f21s.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  149.3 KB
    Doodles for fun and experiments:
    Name:  32.1.jpg
Size:  182.0 KB
    Name:  29.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  434.3 KB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  204.6 KB
    Name:  main paras~.jpg
Size:  176.1 KB
    Commission Work:
    Name:  f22.11ss.jpg
Size:  431.4 KB
    Name:  10.8ss.jpg
Size:  383.3 KB

Thanks again for the support and criticisms, hope you enjoy!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice update Sketchlab seems like nice place but it seem pretty dead compared to concept art, so are other forums as well

40. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really like the last one with the bomb! Really cool. I wish the smoke had a little more interaction with the background in terms of black showing through, and the edge around it, but it's really nice anyway.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you so much for updating Ubem. Your sketchbook continues to be inspiring. I'll have to checkout sketchlab.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm interested in how you do your painting technique. Amazing potential!
    Come say Hi! I could always use a boost.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...r-s-sketchbook

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Dominicque1 For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5