Rafael Ramires - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rafael Ramires - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rafael Ramires - Composition 1.1

Hi! First study!

I do realize there is a long, long way to go, specially on terms of proportion, so i did try to maintain focus on studying the basics. Thank you for the lesson Jason! There will be a lot more assignments ready soon!

1. I chose Sir Joshua Reynold. I love classical portraits, and, through the study i could notice the use of some foundations on the subject.

The coat fabric is very "clean" of details, that are enhanced on its ornaments, its values are close to the background and the edge is hardest near the belly area of the subject. When I was painting the background, i could see its diagonal movement towards the upright corner, which I believe contrast with the standing figure. There is repetition on some curves (coat and belly for example) and the higher values are not close total white though the darker ones are strong. Belly and coat ascending curves leads the eye to the face, lit up by the contrast with the dark background rather than the use of brighter values.

First, I used Photoshop filter>noise>median to perceive the main groups of values an try to place them accordingly. First on "median 18" than on "median 9"

Name:  Untitled-3.png
Views: 180
Size:  71.8 KB

after 40 minutes that is the result (truly a long way to go) 0/

Name:  819px-Augustus_Keppel,_Viscount_Keppel_by_Sir_Joshua_Reynolds.png
Views: 154
Size:  285.2 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,084 Times in 2,636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your general to specific process is totally on point. i love to see the figure emerge like that. don't settle for suggestion of the head that is any less than the great work you are doing on the larger shapes. flip your canvas if need be. get those shapes as accurate as you can. value control is there now already.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the feedback 0/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Caravaggio_-_La_Deposizione_di_Cristo

Chose this piece for its dramatic qualities, and specially because I was freaking scared only of thinking about making a study of it.

Found the same problems on my perception of proportions and placement of elements. But kept on and always trying to figure the foundations at play.

So here, the process

Name:  Untitled-3-01.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  170.8 KB

And the result after 1h30. I was thinking about keeping at it, but I thought that was not the focus and that I was starting to get lost on details.

Name:  Caravaggio_-_La_Deposizione_di_Cristo.png
Views: 85
Size:  492.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

03 - Augustus Keppel,_by_Sir_Joshua_Reynolds (First Protrait)

Chose another Reynolds portrait, used the same process and did try to get the value shapes on the face, not quite there yet. Luck me he is dead and wont mind what i did to his face LOL.
    0/

The subject being quite still, ornaments on the uniform and background keep the eyes busy, with lots of patterns and rhythm to them.
    Valuewise the background got a spot of similarity to the main subject, coudn´t figure out the why though.

Jason, thank you again man, really excited about this part and keeping on it until completion, hope soon i can reach more lessons!

Name:  Augustus_Keppel_BHC2821.png
Views: 78
Size:  1.07 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gustav_Klimt_-_Blind_Man

Chose this Klimt´s work for the fine application of economy, and it conveys a lot of emotion by just emphasizing the right areas of interest.

Name:  Gustav_Klimt_-_Blind_Man_-_Google_Art_Project.png
Views: 66
Size:  556.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Henri_de_Toulouse-Lautrec

Chose a piece from Lautrec, especially for the movement achieved with the lines and a certain chaotic feel of his works.

Here, values are pretty close, i noticed he used the lines to convey form and even the idea of reflection on the floor. Economy is there, the background being very loose and the subject contours well defined.

From the past exercises i noticed my eyes need a "recalibration" process in order to get proportion, so i got help from a grid, here I uploaded a before and after the grid.

Name:  2.png
Views: 69
Size:  109.5 KB

That really helped the flow, i couldn´t get the texture, but i was more towards the values placement

Name:  3.png
Views: 65
Size:  464.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Caravaggio_(Michelangelo_Merisi)_-_Ecce_Homo

Chose the dramatic lighting of Caravaggio to this one.
    I love the way figures have rhythm and make the eyes cycle through the work.

The main characters (Christ and Pilatus) have the higher range of values and, the one behind them has a more darker value, giving a certain sense of depth, but through his high value tone turbant, the eye is caught on a cycle between christ and pilatus.

The background on Christ is darker and gets a little lighter behind Pilatus, giving the piece contrast and balance.

This time i used the grid and did not use the median filter.

Name:  Caravaggio_(Michelangelo_Merisi)_-_Ecce_Homo_-_Google_Art_Project.png
Views: 65
Size:  484.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok...nice job. I want you to slow down a little bit and map out the placement of shapes and arrangement of shapes even closer than you are now. If you don't you will end up having to repaint and repaint and repaint. i don't want you doing that as you will end up pulling out your hair.

Keep it up...just keep flipping the images horizontally and vertically and double and triple checking your shapes. I want to see your next piece more accurate that way.

You are going to do well at this...lets not rush through the drawing phase though k?

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK! 0/

I will go for that, concentrate on placement and shapes for the next piece!
    Thanks for the review!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Peeckelhaering_Frans_Hals

Hi there! turned of the clock and spent the most time i could handle on arrangement, used grid, flipping, photoshop rulers.
    I guess it took a total of 3 hours, not quite fond of the result though, considering the time, but that would be my anxiety speaking.

Anyway, I am actually glad that I could be that amount of time over a piece, and thank you Jason for the guidance, I´ll keep on going for the right placement 0/

Name:  Peeckelhaering_WGA.png
Views: 57
Size:  410.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that I look at it after posting, it is kind of frustrating, hahaha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are getting there. Keep watching those edges. Look for areas where value is too contrasty. If you can bite down and get your values more exact, a lot of the edge play will come into place better. When you put two shapes against each other and they have stronger contrast it can lead to the illusion that the edge is too sharp...when in fact it may just be that the values need to be closer together so the edge seems to get lost more.

keep up the great work.

j

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

George_Augustus_Eliott,_1st_Baron_Heathfield_-_by_Joshua_Reynolds

Keeping up!

I´ll keep on tracking shapes Jason though i noticed that, when I enter that mode, I slip on values a bit. But, I´ll concentrate for improvement on the first one

Chose another portrait by Reynolds so i could improve on placement. Again, no clock rush, just stopped when i couldn´t stand looking at the thing. Did went for grid, flipping. Picked my values from the gradient above.

It was nice to see that he used a darker background around the head to bring it a little brighter.

I still don´t figure why similarity is that hard or why is it going that way afar from the original specially on faces. I do not mean to say that would be an easy thing anyway, but I do believe that would naturally come with right placement, i guess i am just not reading them right, or just had not built a nice "eye to hand" practice yet.

After frustration from last piece, to start this one took a lot of effort. Going for the next! Thank you again man!

Name:  George_Augustus_Eliott,_1st_Baron_Heathfield_-_by_Joshua_Reynolds_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_1900.png
Views: 49
Size:  371.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Joshua_Reynolds_-_Lady_Elizabeth_Delmé_and_her_Children

Chose thus Reynolds painting for it is a very busy one when i am trying to get more and more challenged by these studys.

Put on the clock again, so i do not get lazy or procrastinate on it.

Total of 1h40 on this

Name:  Joshua_Reynolds_-_Lady_Elizabeth_Delmé_and_her_Children_-_WGA19337.png
Views: 50
Size:  684.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the faces are improving in this most recent piece. however those are insignificant details to study when you still have larger values to get into place. i would suggest making a purposeful pass where you start in the upper part of the image and just go across checking values and shapes and making adjustments. Work your way over the piece and fix your values and edges and shapes. Consider it a quality control pass.

Keep up the great work.

jason

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man!

I gues i am been caught up on this details, when it comes to the end I am too tired, i´ll try finishing the study, closing it up and do a check later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Velázquez_-_El_Triunfo_de_Baco_o_Los_Borrachos

Got to challenge myself on multiple figures, so i chose this Velazquez piece .

I did let it go for some time, 4 to 5 hours i guess.

Name:  Velázquez_-_El_Triunfo_de_Baco_o_Los_Borrachos_(Museo_del_Prado,_1628-29).png
Views: 32
Size:  264.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome job on mapping this out and getting everything blocked in. It looks like you could strengthen the light on some of the figures faces, and add in a bit of the surface texture to the painting. If you hit both those things this one will totally improve.

Watch for those things in the next one as well.

j

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, all this journey is being awesome!

About the textures, would it be ideal to have it set on the brush? Or get there by strokes? Apply a single texture on the entire painting?
    I am using on photoshop a simple round one so i don´t depende too much on the tool, but on how exactly to achieving a result on that, I am pretty lost.

I´ll probably revisit each study after i complete everyone that I intend to, this one for sure. For the next one I am feeling more confident.

To work know! Thank you again for the feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would use a brush or a series of brushes.

You are welcome. Keep it up!!

Members who have read this thread: 14