Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MICHIN - Composition 1.1

Thanks

8. Gandalf falls with the Balrog, John Howe - study

I don´t want to push more than an hour per study but sometimes it can't be helped. Is this okay? or should I try to stay on time?

Name:  howe.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  374.5 KB
    "Gandalf falls with the Balrog"
    75 min.
    John Howe

The rythms in the background convey movement. The emphasis is present through the light of the sword and focuses our atention in gandalf's pose and the balrog's expression. Continuity is present with the wings and how the follow down. There is variety in the folds of the cloak and in the fingers of the Balrog. There is economy in most of the piece except where gandalf is and the surrounding area.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,345 Times in 2,869 Posts
    excellent job mapping this out. Your values need to be a little more accurate. You are 95 percent the way there...but notice the contrast on the closest arm for example, yours is far less contrasting. Be wary of doing that kind of thing.

Keep up the great work.

j

Thanks

9. The Public Dance, Jean Beraud - Study(Progress)

I'm taking more time with this one but I thought it would be nice to show some process.

Name:  beraud2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  223.0 KB

"The Public Dance"

Jean Beraud

I'll make my observations when I finish, for now, I'll just point out that I really liked how he defines each figure by placing them next to shapes or figures of almost opposite value. I just figured it half hour or more after I started.

Sometimes all the clutter makes it hard but I'm trying to stick with big shapes, checking and trying to advance.

Wait for the update!

Martín.

Thanks
    That placement of figure against the opposite value is something called "counter change". wyeth, frazetta, rembrandt...are all amazing at that. Beautiful painting.

Do watch your contrast range. Your image seems a little bit amped up in contrast. Keep working on using as accurate values as possible.

jason

Thanks

9. The Public Dance, Jean Beraud - Study

Well this is embarrasing. Took a while to post something new but I'll conclude with this one for now. I know this says a lot about my commitment, no excuses I know. Anyway expect to see more paintings again. I'll still try to pick pieces like this one so I don't run away from them.

Name:  beraud 2.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  288.0 KB

I still love this painting and this artist.

Jean Beraud

The Public Dance

Rythm:The lamps in the background guide our eyes, they make a stop on the right of the painting and bounce back to the left. Emphasis: The lady with the white dress standing at the left is probably the focus of the piece or at least the area surrounding her is were everything is happening. There is this sort of cradle shape made by the man sitting and the woman standing in front of him. Combined with the lamps on top, it creates an area that was probably meant to have the eye resting. The ground that is left empty between the table and the figure also makes this area special. It sets the figures apart from the crowd, they are not as clutterd and packed as the rest. They are all doing different things when you compare them the ones on the right. It creates a story. Variety: I'll say there is variety in the dresses and the direction the figures are looking at. Ohh and their poses of course specially the ones on the left. Continuity: The crowd fells like a creature or shape that is tight on the right and starts to divide as we go to the left. Like a cone or spray. Repetition: Some of The lamps and their placement. Balance:I mentioned this in my previous post. The way each figure is surrounded in one way or another by something that has opposite value, counter change. It is not like a checkerboard but since I still can´t quite explain it I think this is the best analogy I can think of.

Last edited by michin; March 4th, 2014 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    excellent work! You did a fabulous job on this one. the only thing that would improve it more is time, but for this assignment and such a complex and beautifully rich image you hit the nail on the head. keep up the great work.

Thanks

10. Spanish Dancer, J.S. Sargent

How did he painted this? It looks like something out of an animators sketchbook. Was this out of his imagination? I'll post an update on this one tonight. I want to move her head a bit lower and work more on her right palm and skirt in general.

Name:  sargent 2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  270.3 KB

Economy:The blured edges around her cloak and skirt make her face and arms a more inportant subject. Rythm: Her right arm follows along the pose and her left one breaks this pattern it gives a nice accent. Balance:The figure is standing against a dark background while her left arm is against a light background.

Again how did he captured this kind of movement? Very cool stuff. looks like an animation frame.

Thanks
    excellent work. no crit from me...which says something the only thing that would make it better is more time...and for a quick study this one is rock solid.

j

Thanks

11. Shuffleton's Barbershop - Norman Rockwell

Name:  rockwell.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  226.1 KB

He does a great job at directing our view to the very bottom of the room. I also like the variety of objects in the scene.

Last edited by michin; May 7th, 2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: adding the numbering.

Thanks
    excellent work. watch your edges...like the light hitting the floor...there is some transition gradation happening in the original. keep up the good progress. I look forward to more updates.

jm

Thanks

12. The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew - Caravaggio. NOT 1 hour study

The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew

Name:  caravagio san mateo.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  446.8 KB

I think I've learned to have a LOT more respect for this man. He painted this under a year and it is 3 meters wide. Anyway.

There is a "halo" of light created by the figures that surround the soldier who is also bathed in light. It makes him look very powerfull and central to the composition. There's a rythm between the arms of St. Matthew and the soldier that complement this halo shape. There is variety in the poses, the clothing and expressions. There is unity in the shape or halo created by the crowd.

I think I could have made the soilder a bit brighter.

Not done under an hour of course, got carried away. Will return to the regular one hour from now on.

Martín.

Last edited by michin; May 7th, 2014 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks
    he is certainly of the very best who ever lived. You chose one of the more challenging pieces with all those figures and given your progress it looks like all you need with this one is more time. remember..check shapes, then values, then edges. your process of general to specific is coming along very well though. keep up the good work.

jm

Thanks

13. The Hobbit, Alan lee - study

I'm not posting the original title so I don't spoil the movie. I think alan lee and john howe were the first artist that made think about doing art for a living.

Name:  lee2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  140.8 KB

wait for more.

Last edited by michin; May 12th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11