MICHIN - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MICHIN - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MICHIN - Composition 1.1

Hi, hola! My name is Martín López, english is not my first language but I will keep my mistakes to a minimum. I've never participatd in a forum but here I go. Let's get started.

I suppose practice is the answer to this but, is there a way to measure value? Any recomended readings? I noticed her dress could use a little more contrast and her face as well.

Name:  jean beraud.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  121.0 KB

Artist: Jean Beraud, 1849-1935, France.

42 minutes.

This piece makes excelent use of emphasis. The diference in value establishes the focus of the picture. This is reinforced by the attention to detail to the figure in contrast to the background. The rhythms in the dress set a route that starts in the skirt and ends with the face and hands. I really liked her pose and it was a lot of fun to decipher the insides of something that looks so simple but very powerfull at the same time.

Last edited by michin; February 19th, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The tilt on her head was quite tricky.

Name:  sargent, madame gautreau.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  136.7 KB

Artist: J.S. Sargent

50 min.

The reflection on the water (the white blob on the left) along with the figure makes this a balanced piece. The economy of strokes makes for a clean reading of the picture however, that doesn't stop this piece from being a challenge. Really dig the choices he made for each stroke and how they create flowers or fabric.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,086 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work on the second one. it is much closer. The first has a bit more contrast on the couch and could use some more attention paid to the edges and atmosphere. The second one is on point. Keep it up!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3. Rembrant, Philosopher in Meditation - study

I spent some time without knowing anything about this picture (thank you internet). The stairs can throw you off a little bit. It took about an hour to paint and I felt that it was more difficult than the previous two. I tried to keep my focus on the big shapes but is hard to resist to the perspective in the stairs. Before I knew it the alarm rang and I haven't even started with the figure by the fireplace. I'll try to stay within 50 minutes so I can move on and make more studies.

Name:  rembrant.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  720.4 KB

Rembrant

"Philosopher in Meditation" 1632

60+ min.

Now for the obervations, I decided to use the same method as Nikita Replyanski. The way she has presented her pieces and observations has been top notch.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=274796

Name:  rembrant_explicado.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  930.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you! Yes, I'll keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4. Rembrant, The rising of Lazarus - Study

50 min. Yep, it took me that long just get to this point. Just dropped the stylus and went into the observations. I'm sure doing two a day will be a good start. The multiple figures were a challenge, it made me lose my focus.

Name:  lazarus.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  772.4 KB

Rembrant

The rising of Lazarus

Name:  rembrant_lazarus_explicacion.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  191.9 KB

All figures except one are all looking at Lazarus, that could be seen as repetition. There is a nice balance of contrast between the living and Lazarus. I haven't said anything about continuity before, but if had to guess, I would say that the arrangement used for the figures on the left give a "big shape" feeling. Starting with the kneeling one in the bottom and ending with Jesus hand. Lastly I picked this arrangement between the three points in red. They are all high contrast areas and create emphasis. Economy can be seen in the atention to the faces and clothing against the scenary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to not see them as figures. If that happens flip both images upside down and work on them that way. focus on your shapes, values and edges. nice start. Watch out for things like the white band you have going around the left side of the figure group. That does not occur in the original. Keep up the good work.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok and ok. Thanks for the advice! Two more tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

5. William Merrit Chase, Girl in Japanese costume - study

I followed Jason's advice and focused on edges, shapes and values. I'm a little upset that I did not had enough time for the face. This piece feels to me that is all about her expression and I barely got an indication of a face.

Name:  chase.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  264.0 KB
    William Merrit Chase

Girl in Japanese costume

60min.

I see variety in the strokes used for her dress. Economy on her hair and ear. I like how the fold on her left shouder guides my view towards her face. There is a nice balance between the detail on her face and the broad strokes of the dress.

One more for today in about an hour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6. Goya Prision scene - study

I have to be more carefull in my observation
    Name:  goya.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  162.9 KB

Francisco de Goya

Prision Scene

50 min.

The standing figure overlapping with the leaning one gives balance to the piece. He clearly wanted to make the standing figure the main subject with the contrast. There is also variety in the poses of each fgure.

Last edited by michin; February 21st, 2014 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7. Velázques, El niño de Vellasca - study

A lot of mistakes in this one, but I felt more confident.

Name:  vellasca.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  169.1 KB

I like how the economy on the dark background behind his face really pulls him to the front, good use of economy. His Hands and face are given a good deal of emphasis. The division in the backgrounds gives balance. I also notices how the light is coming from the right to the left but the background is inverse to this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing a great job with your values and even with a lot of your edges. The biggest area that i think you can focus on is with your mapping out of shapes. They are all very close but like 95 percent close...and that extra 5 percent is what needs double checking and triple checking as you work, by flipping the image vertically and horizontally (both your image and the original). If you do, you will see what I mean. Keep up the great progress.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Jason! Yes sir, I'll mega check.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

8. Gandalf falls with the Balrog, John Howe - study

I don´t want to push more than an hour per study but sometimes it can't be helped. Is this okay? or should I try to stay on time?

Name:  howe.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  374.5 KB
    "Gandalf falls with the Balrog"
    75 min.
    John Howe

The rythms in the background convey movement. The emphasis is present through the light of the sword and focuses our atention in gandalf's pose and the balrog's expression. Continuity is present with the wings and how the follow down. There is variety in the folds of the cloak and in the fingers of the Balrog. There is economy in most of the piece except where gandalf is and the surrounding area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent job mapping this out. Your values need to be a little more accurate. You are 95 percent the way there...but notice the contrast on the closest arm for example, yours is far less contrasting. Be wary of doing that kind of thing.

Keep up the great work.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Public Dance, Jean Beraud - Study(Progress)

I'm taking more time with this one but I thought it would be nice to show some process.

Name:  beraud2.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  223.0 KB

"The Public Dance"

Jean Beraud

I'll make my observations when I finish, for now, I'll just point out that I really liked how he defines each figure by placing them next to shapes or figures of almost opposite value. I just figured it half hour or more after I started.

Sometimes all the clutter makes it hard but I'm trying to stick with big shapes, checking and trying to advance.

Wait for the update!

Martín.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That placement of figure against the opposite value is something called "counter change". wyeth, frazetta, rembrandt...are all amazing at that. Beautiful painting.

Do watch your contrast range. Your image seems a little bit amped up in contrast. Keep working on using as accurate values as possible.

jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Public Dance, Jean Beraud - Study

Well this is embarrasing. Took a while to post something new but I'll conclude with this one for now. I know this says a lot about my commitment, no excuses I know. Anyway expect to see more paintings again. I'll still try to pick pieces like this one so I don't run away from them.

Name:  beraud 2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  288.0 KB

I still love this painting and this artist.

Jean Beraud

The Public Dance

Rythm:The lamps in the background guide our eyes, they make a stop on the right of the painting and bounce back to the left. Emphasis: The lady with the white dress standing at the left is probably the focus of the piece or at least the area surrounding her is were everything is happening. There is this sort of cradle shape made by the man sitting and the woman standing in front of him. Combined with the lamps on top, it creates an area that was probably meant to have the eye resting. The ground that is left empty between the table and the figure also makes this area special. It sets the figures apart from the crowd, they are not as clutterd and packed as the rest. They are all doing different things when you compare them the ones on the right. It creates a story. Variety: I'll say there is variety in the dresses and the direction the figures are looking at. Ohh and their poses of course specially the ones on the left. Continuity: The crowd fells like a creature or shape that is tight on the right and starts to divide as we go to the left. Like a cone or spray. Repetition: Some of The lamps and their placement. Balance:I mentioned this in my previous post. The way each figure is surrounded in one way or another by something that has opposite value, counter change. It is not like a checkerboard but since I still can´t quite explain it I think this is the best analogy I can think of.

Last edited by michin; March 4th, 2014 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work! You did a fabulous job on this one. the only thing that would improve it more is time, but for this assignment and such a complex and beautifully rich image you hit the nail on the head. keep up the great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10. Spanish Dancer, J.S. Sargent

How did he painted this? It looks like something out of an animators sketchbook. Was this out of his imagination? I'll post an update on this one tonight. I want to move her head a bit lower and work more on her right palm and skirt in general.

Name:  sargent 2.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  270.3 KB

Economy:The blured edges around her cloak and skirt make her face and arms a more inportant subject. Rythm: Her right arm follows along the pose and her left one breaks this pattern it gives a nice accent. Balance:The figure is standing against a dark background while her left arm is against a light background.

Again how did he captured this kind of movement? Very cool stuff. looks like an animation frame.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work. no crit from me...which says something the only thing that would make it better is more time...and for a quick study this one is rock solid.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

11. Shuffleton's Barbershop - Norman Rockwell

Name:  rockwell.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  226.1 KB

He does a great job at directing our view to the very bottom of the room. I also like the variety of objects in the scene.

Last edited by michin; May 7th, 2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: adding the numbering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work. watch your edges...like the light hitting the floor...there is some transition gradation happening in the original. keep up the good progress. I look forward to more updates.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

12. The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew - Caravaggio. NOT 1 hour study

The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew

Name:  caravagio san mateo.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  446.8 KB

I think I've learned to have a LOT more respect for this man. He painted this under a year and it is 3 meters wide. Anyway.

There is a "halo" of light created by the figures that surround the soldier who is also bathed in light. It makes him look very powerfull and central to the composition. There's a rythm between the arms of St. Matthew and the soldier that complement this halo shape. There is variety in the poses, the clothing and expressions. There is unity in the shape or halo created by the crowd.

I think I could have made the soilder a bit brighter.

Not done under an hour of course, got carried away. Will return to the regular one hour from now on.

Martín.

Last edited by michin; May 7th, 2014 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    he is certainly of the very best who ever lived. You chose one of the more challenging pieces with all those figures and given your progress it looks like all you need with this one is more time. remember..check shapes, then values, then edges. your process of general to specific is coming along very well though. keep up the good work.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

13. The Hobbit, Alan lee - study

I'm not posting the original title so I don't spoil the movie. I think alan lee and john howe were the first artist that made think about doing art for a living.

Name:  lee2.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  140.8 KB

wait for more.

Last edited by michin; May 12th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

14. Portrait of Mrs C. - William Merrit Chaze

I think I'll be going between landscapes and portraits. So next time There will be a land/cityscape piece and next one will be a portrait. Beautiful piece and artist I think he's become one of my favorites.

I struggled with the face but I can´t figure what I did wrong I even used guides to align the features.Name:  portrait-of-mrs-c.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  383.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are great. My only comment is that some play with the texture brushes to find a solution to the surface texture would be a good decision. You are doing a great job with your values, shapes and edges...but the surface differences are throwing off the mood a little. Keep up the great work. Very nice stuff.

JM

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you!! ok, texture expiramentation for the nex one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15. Rudolf Von Alt, The Square of Bratislava. Study

Name:  bratislava.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  276.4 KB

Another new favorite. Great use of economy with each brush stroke.

http://www.wikiart.org/en/rudolf-von-alt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 34