Sketchbook: I draw a lot, and I am trying to improve.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I draw a lot, and I am trying to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I draw a lot, and I am trying to improve.

Hello and welcome to my sketchbook. I am not sure if a should post here since my style is not like the rest of the sketchbooks I have seen here.but why not, the reason to post here is for improvement.

I draw a lot of character design and illustrations and also comics. (that's what help me the most to improve.) so expect a mix of that.

Please do not comment about how the female character I draw look masculine, I know that I am doing it, because I like drawing them like that. But you advice on other stuff since my style does exaggerate in some place that I should not exaggerate. thought you should expect really tall people from me.

Also I am French so please excuse my gibberish sometimes.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are some stuff I did from older to newer stuff. I draw really big feet I should make them smaller.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey !
    Of course you should post, every style is welcome here for sure And yours is really interesting, though. I can see the influences of manga too. I haven't noticed muscularity of women since there are no females yet but what I see is that you have a big tendency to draw really small head and torso and the lower the bigger. It's not even about the height of the characters, but general disproportions. This can mess with a perception of the depth - for example in the second picture it rather looks like the guy is reeeeeaaally long and his head is pushed to te back so that the legs are in the first plan but the reast with a head is beside those small trees at the back. So I think at first you should do anatomy studies and then, once you mastered it, exaggerate as much as you want Check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyWHmxFGVK4 It's great for start

"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

I believe I can ! My sketchbook -> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=273512

Deviant art: http://igson93.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Igson: I see, well I have studied anatomy before it just I am trying to balance my exagerations. Also I don't know if you look correctly but most of the character in those images are female, they are just really, really butch. I am not sure about the second image, the legs are in the foreground because she is walking on something to goes down. But thanks for taking your time commenting.

Here are two wip with two completed images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are some stuff I did. I wanted to practice drawing water and blood in my own style. Also I wanted to practice on expression. That about it. Thought If you guys and gals got any interesting idea about how to draw water I will listen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forget anatomy completely if you want to be original at all... its depressing, we all look the same otherwise...

That blue and pink hard coloured one is nice, its got a nice fade to it.

well I suggest using stamps for water, some ellispses shrinking into the distance works well... i saw this guy do it once.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    digydan1:I see, well thanks for your input and do you the name of the guy or an artist similar to him so I can see what it looks like.

Here is something I did. I like designing clothes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I notice that working on a webcomic usually make faster progress on your drawing skill than just doing illustration but that me. I don't know if you people want the see comic pages that I work on last week but tell if you don't want that.
    Name:  bd page 107.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  404.0 KBName:  bd page 108.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  414.8 KBName:  bd page 109.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  427.5 KBName:  the witch and the godess.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  279.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool style, your colors are just amazing ! The only thing I could suggest,is that it will be cool if your compositions have more rhythm in them. Great work !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mariyan-Hristov: thanks, I do agree that my composition do lack a bit of rhythm. I will work on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is some more drawing. I am trying to practice drawing fighting and motion lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are some more stuff I did.( I had difficulty with the hand that hold the sword in the first image.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really dig your style! A very fresh take on heroic anatomy~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taylorqt: thanks! I am glad you like it.

some more stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like these varied designs...Especially with the way you draw the proportions and the faces. You have a very "Jet Set Radio"-esque feel with your style, along with some influences from anime and feudal japanese art for good measure. Overall, this a great style you have going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jaredhedgehog : Oh thanks! you are making me blush from all theses compliments.

Do any of you people know how to draw bricks because I don't like the way I draw them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Memoria i like some of your work but if i may add that i think you should add more size to your characters heads as i think it would give them more presence, besides that you have a pretty cool style that'll get only better with proper practise :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MisterWolfen: what do you mean by presence, like that we can't see their emotion because of the small head, so that why they have less presence? Just asking. but thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sort of, I just think they would look better if you increased the size of their heads to match the proportions of their body

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this sketchbook. I love your style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MisterWolfen: I will try to look into it.
    BloodyTiara: Thanks! I am glad you like it.

some more stuff and lines,oh goodness gracious, lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did some stuff my deviantart page and also the the badly done drawing is my first drawing on the tablet. You will see it immediately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you really want to improve i would recommend you to drop the anime-style and focus on the fundamentals of human anatomy, gesture drawing, the human face, composition etc. It would definitely help to prevent your figures from looking stiff and unproportional, like they do now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I honestly do not care to do realistic proportion, it just doesn't motivate me to get better. ( the improvement I am talking about is environments mostly and characters will get better along the travel.)
    Also I do know my human anatomy it just that my character are really tall and it make them look they have a weird anatomy. also the stiffness of my character don't come from that. I make to make them to much in control of their environment and by doing that they become stiff. ( I think anyways)

Not All artist have the same path, I hope you respect mine or analyse correctly my art so that I agree with your critique. Because if not, I won't budge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Memoria caelestie View Post
    I honestly do not care to do realistic proportion, it just doesn't motivate me to get better. ( the improvement I am talking about is environments mostly and characters will get better along the travel.)
    Also I do know my human anatomy it just that my character are really tall and it make them look they have a weird anatomy. also the stiffness of my character don't come from that. I make to make them to much in control of their environment and by doing that they become stiff. ( I think anyways)

Not All artist have the same path, I hope you respect mine or analyse correctly my art so that I agree with your critique. Because if not, I won't budge.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And what do you mean by analysing your art correctly?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I am saying is that I don't work like you. I do not care to much about very realistic proportions and it not where I need the most work.( I am not saying that I am perfect. I accept critique went it needed.)You might differ but it doesn't change.
    Also went analysing how an artist can get better you cannot only just look at how you do it because unless the person you critiquing has a similar style than you it not a good idea most of time. ( key word most)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you insist on the wide-spread but immature 'muh style' argument. I guess i am wasting my time here then, have fun drawing though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not imature, I just think that your critique was not needed. Because the thing you must have forgotten to read is that I don't have any motivation to draw very realistic at all. If you looked at my drawing from the beginning you would seen a notable improvement without doing any of the thing suggested.
    Do not finish your argumentation like that it doesn't make you look in a good light. Also, I am already having fun drawing. Thanks thought.

the image is an older drawing so....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't call you immature for i don't know you enough to make such a statement. I merely find it immature to hide behind words like 'style' to justify your strikingly noticable weak-points.
    To draw in a highly stylized manner is nothing to complain about if the drawings show an understanding of form and flow, in my opinion.
    There are many great artists who rely on remarkable style. For example Frank Miller, Aidan Hughes and many Manga Artists. I in fact have looked at your first drawings and they have the same fundamental flaws as the last ones.
    I don't see the notable improvement you speak of. As for the picture you posted, it may have fancy colors and sparkles but the underlying structure is still as bad as before.

And why shouldn't i finish my argumentation like that? You told me that you don't need any fundamentals and wanted to do your own 'style'. The complete opposite of what i was suggesting, so i in fact WAS wasting my time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go away, you are not here to see me improve it clear as day. You are here because you think that the only way to progress is by the ways you have been taught. Do not comment on my drawing I just put it there so with wasn't just talking. ( it an older drawing) To finish I did not say that I don't need fundamental I just said that I like to progress in my own way. There is difference. You are putting words into my mouth, so you are wasting your time. GO AWAY.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 65